PDA

View Full Version : Tree Stand ownership question???

flyboy
10-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Out exploring this morning and found a nice game trail. Followed it for 1/2 klik and came onto a good lick,look up and there is a newer treestand built in the trees.

So question is, can a person use an exsisting tree stand? No one can own a treestand that has been built on crown land,but is it right to take up residency?? I would like to have a sit on this lick,just worried what buddy might have to say when he see's me there.

opinions???

PointMan
10-13-2011, 02:14 PM
If I spent all day building it and came back to use it a day or two later and found it in use, I wouldn't be particularly happy.

KB90
10-13-2011, 02:23 PM
Simple manners.

Use it if he's not there, if he is then vacate. You didn't build it, he did.

MB_Boy
10-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Simple manners.

Yup....I kinda agree with this. Unfortunately "manners" get tossed out of the treestand all the time whether you're the builder or the squatter. I have seen guys tell the "builder" where he can go when they are already in the stand.

Hunters can be so unbelievably polite and respectful to other hunters:roll: .....it really is beautiful. :p:roll:

killman
10-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Personally I would use it and give it up if the builder happen to arrive. If I built it I would expect the same courtesy. If they chose not to leave I would cut the tree down with them in it. :)

steepNdeep
10-13-2011, 02:55 PM
I've used a stand in a similar situation over a wallow a few times. Never seen anyone else around there. in a few years. I'd gladly give it up if the builder showed up, though...

muleychaser
10-13-2011, 03:07 PM
It all boils down to one word plain and simple "Respect". Unfortunately nowadays it is a common courtesy that seems to be used less and less.

Bowzone_Mikey
10-13-2011, 03:08 PM
unless it has the owners name and other ID on it ... if it is on crown land ... its first come first served ....

bigneily
10-13-2011, 03:14 PM
unless it has the owners name and other ID on it ... if it is on crown land ... its first come first served ....I'll bet you'd be whistling a different tune if you showed up to hunt a stand you had placed, and someone was already in it.

lovemywinchester
10-13-2011, 03:16 PM
It can be a life and death situation if your not careful. Remember this guy who killed a bunch of guys over a tree stand. in the states of course but be careful if confronting guys up there in your stand. Check the link.

http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2004/11/22_kelleherb_huntershooting/

madrona sh
10-13-2011, 03:24 PM
The fellow that built it left it, just like people leaving trailcams on crown land and are shocked when it goes missing.
You take the chance when you leave things out.
It is the same as pot growers who booby trap plantations. What is the point if someone found it they found it.

Bowzone_Mikey
10-13-2011, 03:59 PM
I'll bet you'd be whistling a different tune if you showed up to hunt a stand you had placed, and someone was already in it.
If I placed a or built a treestand on crown land I would've attached my name and Hunters Number to it to avoid any such circumstance .....

if someone was allready in it ... I would inform them that they are in my stand and politly ask them to leave. if they dont ... tell them they are in possestion of stolen property and inform the authorities ..... if they are in a steel stand (which wouldnt be my case as I dont leave steel stands out) a wooden stand however .... its on crown land ... if you build it in crown land then you build it for all to use ..... first come first served ...

*edit... Lemme qualify that statment ... wooden stand is to be read as a perminant stand

.300WSMImpact!
10-13-2011, 04:01 PM
I see peoples tree stands all the time, I choose to have RESPECT for them and not use there stand, I may stay in the area but I did not build it or put it up I dont think I have the right to use it,

flyboy
10-13-2011, 04:09 PM
I kind of think it may belong to a guide outfitter. Does that change anything on ownership or still crown land is fair game????

muleychaser
10-13-2011, 04:10 PM
This is a prime example of why it is wise to search out a lawyer for a hunting partner so if situations like this tree stand thing or someone blocking the road comes up your lawyer friend can address it right away with legal precidents and threats of law suits. Plain and simple.....RESPECT, is all that is needed!

bigneily
10-13-2011, 04:38 PM
I think that if someone is disrespectful enough to hunt someone else's stand that they have built, I'm thinking that the builder's name and hunter # on the stand is not going to mean shat to the guy who figure's if no one is in it, Use it.Treestand's are made for hunting purposes if i find one, And i know where a few are . I always show respect if anyone is in it or not.

Marlin375
10-13-2011, 04:38 PM
I put my name on the one I put up. As Mikey said he would do.
If it was occupied when I showed up to use it I would expect the occupant to vacate it if I asked, but no telling where he would go next and would prolly tank your hunt for the morning anyhow. Chances are I would introduce myself and let him know I am going to be using it steady for the rest of the season and let him have it for the day.
After all, he has no idea who the builder is, if he still uses it or if it will ever be used again. I have used countless stands over the years and have never run into the "original builder". Permanent stands might be good for Whitetails one year and then next year the trail is out of range and with Mulies its a crap shoot every year.

aggiehunter
10-13-2011, 04:51 PM
We (us) have a tree in the EK for late whities...I personally used this tree for many years...it's a killing tree...very obvious to a bowhunter that someone uses it...I did big circle last year with my stand a lo and behold here's a dude sitting in the tree that I longed to sit in...I waved and circled back away from him....luck of the draw but in reality he knew it was a good spot...note to self...do NOT drag deer away from your stand....get a buddy and carry them....

RayHill
10-13-2011, 04:52 PM
It can be a life and death situation if your not careful. Remember this guy who killed a bunch of guys over a tree stand. in the states of course but be careful if confronting guys up there in your stand. Check the link.

http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2004/11/22_kelleherb_huntershooting/

Ya probably didn't kill the guys because of him being in their tree stand, there was more to the story then that. Like one) the guys that showed up first were waving their guns around at him shouting racial slurs. Two) the rest of the guys show up drinking and pointing guns at him. And then there is three) The shooter was an ex member of the U.S. military his job was to take US troops into enemy territory. And he was trained to not take people waving a guns at him lightly. I think it might have been like this:

Guy in bush by himself, yes he was on private property but sometimes this happens if it wasn't fenced off. Next a large group of people he dose not know show up pointing guns and the shit hit the fan. I think things would have turned out a different way if the group of hunters handled it a bit better. It might have been a better experience for all.

How would you feel, if you were by yourself in the bush and had a group of people pointing guns? at you?

Wrayzer
10-13-2011, 04:53 PM
I see peoples tree stands all the time, I choose to have RESPECT for them and not use there stand, I may stay in the area but I did not build it or put it up I dont think I have the right to use it,

I'll give ya a hind quarter when I shoot my immy from yours ;)

RayHill
10-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Out exploring this morning and found a nice game trail. Followed it for 1/2 klik and came onto a good lick,look up and there is a newer treestand built in the trees.

So question is, can a person use an exsisting tree stand? No one can own a treestand that has been built on crown land,but is it right to take up residency?? I would like to have a sit on this lick,just worried what buddy might have to say when he see's me there.

opinions???

I won't mind you can sit in it just leave me a six pack of Budweiser K

Davey Crockett
10-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Maybe you didn't have goldilocks and the three bears read to you when you were a kid...

Ubertuber
10-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Pffft, using a home built tree stand that is not yours is disrespectful? Give me a break.
I carve my initials and date in my stands just for fun, not because I expect someone to vacate the stand when I arrive. If someone is in my stand I'll walk away and come back later or very early the next day to reclaim my handy work.

Gateholio
10-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Pg66 and I built a stand a few years ago. If someone beat me to it, I wouldn't care, just hunt eleswhere.

Tenacious Billy
10-13-2011, 05:50 PM
If you build it (and it's on crown land), they will come.....and you can't expect them to go elsewhere if you attach a name tag....early bird gets the worm!!

FirePower
10-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Simple manners.

Without a doubt this is the proper etiquitte. End of the tale.

180grainer
10-13-2011, 06:12 PM
If I spent all day building it and came back to use it a day or two later and found it in use, I wouldn't be particularly happy.

Yea but you'd be SOL if it's on crown land. Argument is, you knew it when you built it and thems the breaks.

Davey Crockett
10-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Yea but you'd be SOL if it's on crown land. Argument is, you knew it when you built it and thems the breaks.

I guess the same goes for your hunting camp, game cameras, etc.?

I think it is very, very simple: did you buy it, build it? If no, then it's not yours. Use your manners accordingly.

blackwater
10-13-2011, 06:21 PM
If I placed a or built a treestand on crown land I would've attached my name and Hunters Number to it to avoid any such circumstance .....

At least if you did that, it would be far easier to enforce Section 57 of FRPA...not that it's actually enforced.

Big Lew
10-13-2011, 06:25 PM
As "Bowzone Mikey" mentioned, attach your identification and hunter number to it in a prominent place, and you should expect that anyone using it would leave and let you use it if you showed up. I ask those that suggest it's 'first come', and wouldn't relinquish it to the identified builder if he shows up.....if you saw a boat stored by a lake, especially if it had owner identification on it, would you also use it, and would you give it back to the owner if he showed up? Further, if you came upon a vacant cottage, would you use it and refuse to vacate it even when the owner showed up?

heyblast
10-13-2011, 06:25 PM
You didn't build it then you shouldn't use it, at the very least leave if the guy that put in the time and effort into it shows up. I don't mind others using my blinds for duck hunting if I'm not using them, but leave if I show up and leave it as you found it or ain't going be there next time.

Tack243
10-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Simple manners.

Next question.....how would you know he was the one that built it.....because he said so......I'd use it and make him prove he built it......

PointMan
10-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Next question.....how would you know he was the one that built it.....because he said so......I'd use it and make him prove he built it......
Really? What are the odds of someone coming by, looking up and saying, arbitrarily, "That's my blind/stand." if he didn't build it? Unless he knew you didn't.

RugDoctor
10-13-2011, 06:35 PM
So find my favorite spot, build a pile of stands all around it, and kick everyone out? Not to mention, oh, by the way, I built that stand you're in....prove I didn't (telling me you built it, or showing me your name and # on it doesn't count because I put mine there last week too). Crown land = first come first serve. Yeah, if I put that work into finding a good spot, and building a nice little third floor condo to hunt from only to find someone squatting, it'd be a bummer. It'd also be my bad luck for showing up second. Camps, and cameras seem different to me because they're things someone will take home with them eventually...Same goes for a portable stand...pretty risky to leave it but certainly off limits. Fixed stand on crown land....fair game (so to speak). Best trick...get you a manequin and leave it up there!!! Nah....dirty squatter would steal that too.

eastkoot
10-13-2011, 06:38 PM

Geez name and HUNTER number, that discourage anyone on crown land..BOOOOOO!!! And if that doesn't work, have a big shit under it as you leave..

Marlin375
10-13-2011, 06:40 PM

Standing in a guys treestand and thumbing your nose at him will likely get you burnt out of the tree

madrona sh
10-13-2011, 06:40 PM
I'd start crying until I got my way.
Then I'd write my name on it.
Then I'd put up a trail cam to watch it.
Next a pack alarm guarding the perimeter

Davey Crockett
10-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Best trick...get you a manequin and leave it up

That is a brilliant idea. The best part is, the deer would become accustom to seeing a person up there. Might work well with trail cameras too.

Bucks&Ducks
10-13-2011, 06:47 PM
I came across one made up in the trees overlooking a meadow with lots of moose sign around I decided to climb up and take a look and there were a bunch of empty beer cans and 2 full unopened 12 packs as well as a book and binos and moose calls in a garbage bag up there, my camp was at the head of the one way trail so i used it for the evening hunts when I knew he hadnt passed my camp and left all his stuff alone up there. I would hope the same respect would be shown to my stuff if someone ever came across it.

TheProvider
10-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Common courtesy, we use to make them in ontario for moose hunting. Quite a few times we'd show up and there'd be the "neighboring" hunting party guys in it. They'd get out once they saw us coming. Worked both ways they'd have treestands that they built and we'd stay out of of them. Fair game though if the other party wasn't hunting.

ellellbee
10-13-2011, 06:55 PM
The stand I built has been used by others and I have no issue with that. Use it but don't abuse it. I have to agree with Gatehouse. If someone's there there's always somewhere else. Failing that I can always appeal to their better judgement.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-13-2011, 07:22 PM
If I built a homemade treestand on crown land and didn't wan't someone using it, I'd build a ladder that started about 10' off the ground and use screw-in pegs below that. Take the pegs with you or hide them somewhere near the stand.

Now, if I didn't care if someone used my stand, I'd build a ladder all the way to the ground.

I've used others in the past(maybe once or twice) and have also been invited to use someone else's when I ran into them in the stand.

SSS

Fishhound
10-13-2011, 07:44 PM
I think that if you build a treestand on crown land you should expect to find someone on it at some point and be okay with it, otherwise use a portable stand.

The key thing here is "crown land" there for all to use and enjoy

redthorn
10-13-2011, 07:45 PM

Why would you do this? Maybe post your name(first initial and last name), but not your full name and hunter number. You could get so screwed, so easily.

Sometimes we forget we are the only ones who spend time in the bush.

If I was an anti-hunting granola-head with half an ounce of brains and I found your stand, I could google you up and apply to the ministry to change your address. You wouldn't get the change of address notice, it would go to where I said you live. Come spring, I'd apply immediately for LEH's in areas you had no intentions with, and if said draws are won, burn em. You would probably find out when you apply for your own LEH and it comes back as invalid since you already applied for everything in the book, but it's too late then.

Mark the stand, if someone's in there tell then you weren't planning on using it so soon after "the explosive diarrhea incident", and move on for the day.

Livewire322
10-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Yeah its simple etiquette,also use at your own risk. However if your out there and no ones there use away...

bugler
10-13-2011, 07:48 PM
I've always felt that if it is a wooden, permanent stand then who knows who built it, how long it's been there, is he ever coming back? If he does and claims it then I certainly wouldn't argue. I would not use someone elses portable stand as it is obviously private property and they are likely coming for it before winter. Not to say I wouldn't put my own stand in the vicinity, (not within sight) as buddy might be sewing up a ton of good spots with stands all over that he hardly uses.

And aggiehunter, you can't exactly claim a tree that you used last year when someone beat you to it this year. Hmmm... maybe I better get out and get my stand in for late whities soon!!!

Ltbullken
10-13-2011, 07:55 PM
Use it like a cheap tool kit and when the owner shows up, vacate it, compliment him/her thoroughly, say many thank you's, leave and wish the owner good luck. Maybe even leave a beer or two behind. Don't deface it, damage it or leave it in worse shape than you found it. Anyone who builds something like that on crown land should expect that it will get used by others. In fact, it might even be illegal to build one on crown land! Saying that no one else can use it is like saying no one else can come in on a trail that you have blazed through the brush. If it is a metal tree stand that one carries in and leaves in a tree, I would not use it.

ACE
10-13-2011, 07:59 PM
I put my name on the one I put up. As Mikey said he would do.
If it was occupied when I showed up to use it I would expect the occupant to vacate it if I asked, but no telling where he would go next and would prolly tank your hunt for the morning anyhow. Chances are I would introduce myself and let him know I am going to be using it steady for the rest of the season and let him have it for the day................

Good advice.........we have used a stand at the invite of the builder, and it's very much appreciated. Have taken some dandy bulls there. We remove the 'gut bag' from the immediate area also.......

Ltbullken
10-13-2011, 08:01 PM
So find my favorite spot, build a pile of stands all around it, and kick everyone out? Not to mention, oh, by the way, I built that stand you're in....prove I didn't (telling me you built it, or showing me your name and # on it doesn't count because I put mine there last week too). Crown land = first come first serve. Yeah, if I put that work into finding a good spot, and building a nice little third floor condo to hunt from only to find someone squatting, it'd be a bummer. It'd also be my bad luck for showing up second. Camps, and cameras seem different to me because they're things someone will take home with them eventually...Same goes for a portable stand...pretty risky to leave it but certainly off limits. Fixed stand on crown land....fair game (so to speak). Best trick...get you a manequin and leave it up there!!! Nah....dirty squatter would steal that too.

If someone raised a big stink about possessing a specific spot, and tried to make everyone else leave... I would! Then go check the zero on my rifle in the next cut block!! :-P

eastkoot
10-13-2011, 08:55 PM
If I built a homemade treestand on crown land and didn't wan't someone using it, I'd build a ladder that started about 10' off the ground and use screw-in pegs below that. Take the pegs with you or hide them somewhere near the stand.

Yah but your probably going to take all the wine with you too!!

Gun Dog
10-13-2011, 09:07 PM
I have no problems with using a tree stand and if the owner shows up then it's theirs to use. Hunting is about having fun, not some pissing match.
I like this one:
http://hilmar.smugmug.com/Hiking/Sheridan-Lake-Hunt/IMG2902/1066298182_UJNYN-S.jpg
(It's around 8 x 8 and 14' off the ground.)

Bowzone_Mikey
10-13-2011, 09:25 PM
You have an Alcan hat dont you ...

Why would you do this? Maybe post your name(first initial and last name), but not your full name and hunter number. You could get so screwed, so easily.

Sometimes we forget we are the only ones who spend time in the bush.

If I was an anti-hunting granola-head with half an ounce of brains and I found your stand, I could google you up and apply to the ministry to change your address. You wouldn't get the change of address notice, it would go to where I said you live. Come spring, I'd apply immediately for LEH's in areas you had no intentions with, and if said draws are won, burn em. You would probably find out when you apply for your own LEH and it comes back as invalid since you already applied for everything in the book, but it's too late then.

Mark the stand, if someone's in there tell then you weren't planning on using it so soon after "the explosive diarrhea incident", and move on for the day.

Bowzone_Mikey
10-13-2011, 09:30 PM
so my wife just read this thread and laughed her head off ...... she brings up a great point ..... why in sam hell would anyone get up a stand that they found ... since you have no clue who built it .... it could have been a compentant carpenter ... or it could have been someone like her ... a self professed construction ******

deer nut
10-13-2011, 09:35 PM
If you build one, don't attach a ladder! (Stash one in the bush nearby). That avoids having uninvited users. That said, I agree with using it if no one else is there & vacating on request of the builder....but how would you know?

beni
10-13-2011, 10:10 PM
I may be building a stand that my grandfather can hunt out of... I will be locking it from the inside :)

Own the stand? Find someone in it that won't vacate? Come back with a chainsaw.

IMO, just have common courtesy

REMINGTON JIM
10-13-2011, 10:17 PM
personally i would use it and give it up if the builder happen to arrive. If i built it i would expect the same courtesy. If they chose not to leave i would cut the tree down with them in it. :)
I agree - thats fair ! :-D

tash
10-13-2011, 10:26 PM
A tree stand with an armchair, NICE!!:mrgreen:

No tree stands for me. I would fall asleep and fall out of it (harness or no harness...).

RayHill
10-13-2011, 11:12 PM
I don't think this guy owns this stand. He might get shot for being there!

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff364/raysmailbank/Bearintreestand.jpg

white moose
10-13-2011, 11:32 PM
Had an incident on thwe muskwa, about a so called camp on crown land. Had a table and a crapper. Agreed it was fair game, but was tense for a bit.

troutseeker
10-13-2011, 11:36 PM

Very sensible answer. I trust you are exercising the same respect with my buddy's daughter? lol

The Dude
10-14-2011, 12:33 AM
If someone told me to get out of the stand, i would gladly do so...
...and then i would block the FSR with my truck.
Oh, sorry, wrong thread. :oops:

sparky727
10-14-2011, 01:37 AM
its all about respect!! he built it and i was in it i would leave no problem. i've built cabins back in the charlottes where i used to live leave everything in it and no lock just expect people to treat it like it was theirs. most do. and always leave a log book on the table for people to sign and write a note of there trip.if i show up i give them the choice to hang out with me or carry on!! of coarse i get my choice of bunks!!had a japanese tourist once that filled two pages in his language i thought that was pretty cool!!

J_T
10-14-2011, 05:31 AM
I've always felt that if it is a wooden, permanent stand then who knows who built it, how long it's been there, is he ever coming back? If he does and claims it then I certainly wouldn't argue. I would not use someone elses portable stand as it is obviously private property and they are likely coming for it before winter. Not to say I wouldn't put my own stand in the vicinity, (not within sight) as buddy might be sewing up a ton of good spots with stands all over that he hardly uses.

And aggiehunter, you can't exactly claim a tree that you used last year when someone beat you to it this year. Hmmm... maybe I better get out and get my stand in for late whities soon!!! I think that was Aggie's point. You can't claim a tree, so wave good luck to the guy and back out carefully so as not to disturb his hunt.

For the most part we should be using portable stands and minimize the foot print.

The beauty with bowhunting and treestanding is that if you really want to hunt that zone, you can. Just move off a reasonable distance and set up. There is lots of country out there for bowhunters. Bugler, that zone you took your buck in last year was well populated with treestanding bowhunters, and everyone connected with an animal.

huntcoop
10-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Just quickly remove the wooden stairs while he's still up refusing to get out.

Peter Pepper
10-14-2011, 01:37 PM
I came across one made up in the trees overlooking a meadow with lots of moose sign around I decided to climb up and take a look and there were a bunch of empty beer cans and 2 full unopened 12 packs as well as a book and binos and moose calls in a garbage bag up there, my camp was at the head of the one way trail so i used it for the evening hunts when I knew he hadnt passed my camp and left all his stuff alone up there. I would hope the same respect would be shown to my stuff if someone ever came across it.

It would be ok to 'tax' the beer a bit. And if i was out of beer, and thirsty, and i found a case in the bush...

SimilkameenSlayer
10-14-2011, 03:03 PM
is it legal to build wood tree stands on crown land?

just asking ....

bighornbob
10-14-2011, 03:12 PM
so my wife just read this thread and laughed her head off ...... she brings up a great point ..... why in sam hell would anyone get up a stand that they found ... since you have no clue who built it .... it could have been a compentant carpenter ... or it could have been someone like her ... a self professed construction ******

Thats why I build mine with steps that easily break off and a trap door on the platform. If you dont know about them, its not going to be a fun time in the stand. Its like a Indiana Jones film, you want the treasure you are going to have to work at it:):):)

BHB

levind
10-14-2011, 03:36 PM
i dont get how anyone thinks building something on crown land gives them the right to call it theirs. its like saying a person can come onto your property and set up a tent and say they own the tent and the property it is on. If you build something on crown land you have to expect that someone can use it at anytime and you have no right to ask them to leave. you could put your name and hunter number on it still doesn't mean you have any extra right to use it then the guy sitting on it. If someone wants a stand that only he uses put it on private property!!!

gitnadoix
10-14-2011, 08:22 PM
For those that say they would not use it as it does not belong to you......I guess you never ever camp where it looks like some one else camped......I mean hey they made the fire pit so that means they own this spot right and might return one day......

If you build a semi-permanent structure on crown land with out a govt backed S.U.P. like (outfitters/guides) it is no more yours once you walk away than anyone elses. you do not suddenly become land owners of a particular good hunting spot just because you have been there before. And building something there is a risk that you are willing to take as it may be used by anyone. If they are in it when you arrive and you pulled them down or cut down the tree, i assure you they would not be charged with tresspass.....you one the other hand.... charges would be easy.

madrona sh
10-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Ha You would need spurs for some stands.
I think Blacktail Stalker posted a pic of a dandy a year back.

Spy
10-14-2011, 09:23 PM
I guess the same goes for your hunting camp, game cameras, etc.?

I think it is very, very simple: did you buy it, build it? If no, then it's not yours. Use your manners accordingly.

Its that easy & thats what I tell my kids "If it is not yours, then don't touch it!"
I would be totally pissed, if I got to my tree stand & there was a Tree stand poacher in it! Especially if it was newly built! I would honer the hunter his spot & find my own spot to hunt & build my own tree stand!
A bit of curtsy out in the field goes along way!:-D

aggiehunter
10-14-2011, 09:42 PM
I guess the most important question would be is... why in the 'eff would you build a permanent stand in a hot spot so everybody and his sister could find it.........find the spot....pull in with your portable......kill your deer....pull out......need any other advice........

Trapper D
10-14-2011, 09:47 PM
ya , you gotta point there. their defining the hotspot by building permanent

Spy
10-14-2011, 09:59 PM
I agree with the portable stand!

redthorn
10-15-2011, 09:32 AM
You have an Alcan hat dont you ...

No I don't, I'm just somewhat cautious about posting up personal info for anyone to use.

Or is is the Diarrhea comment that brings to mind someone with an Alcan hat?

BTW, I have a selfclimber. They can have their tree stand, and if I like it, I can climb right up underneath them on the same tree... ;p

muleychaser
10-15-2011, 02:12 PM
I would pay money to see the fight for ownership over this one......lmao

Singleshotneeded
10-15-2011, 02:39 PM
If you're in a tree stand and the guy that built it shows up and asks to use it, then you show respect
for his work and find another spot. Common sense and respect.

Darksith
10-15-2011, 03:39 PM
x2 on the legallity of building a permanent stand in the bush.

If it is illegal, which it very well could be since its illegal to build a cabin on crown land, then attaching your name to it could simply allow someone to knock on your door and hand you a ticket. Stupid post IMO, its an obvious answer, do unto other as you would expect them to do unto you.

curt
10-15-2011, 04:46 PM
I think most reasonable people would be totally fine with you using the stand but if the builder did show up and was told to beat it !?!?!? well if I was that guy i think id be cutting down that tree with that jerk sitting in it!!:)

gitnadoix
10-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Its that easy & thats what I tell my kids "If it is not yours, then don't touch it!"
I would be totally pissed, if I got to my tree stand & there was a Tree stand poacher in it! Especially if it was newly built! I would honer the hunter his spot & find my own spot to hunt & build my own tree stand!
A bit of curtsy out in the field goes along way!:-D

So your saying if I build a tree stand in a tree near your favourite meadow/swamp/trail ......you will never hunt their again because that will now make it MY spot......cool I never new it was so easy to own crown land.....ps where ro you hunt?

Davey Crockett
10-15-2011, 05:33 PM
So your saying if I build a tree stand in a tree near your favourite meadow/swamp/trail ......you will never hunt their again because that will now make it MY spot......cool I never new it was so easy to own crown land.....ps where ro you hunt?

Building a treestand wouldnt make a spot yours but I figure the lumber would be yours.

bugler
10-16-2011, 07:34 PM
I do agree with Aggie on the portable vs permanent thing. Would never build a permanent myself. I once spotted a box stand from a couple miles away. Hmmmm... I wonder if there are any elk coming out in that cut..... Ended up being my next good elk spot. Never used the box, just hunted it another way.

huntwriter
10-16-2011, 07:53 PM
If you're in a tree stand and the guy that built it shows up and asks to use it, then you show respect
for his work and find another spot. Common sense and respect.

Exactly that is in this modern "ME" society in very short supply.

huntwriter
10-16-2011, 07:56 PM

He would if it would sit in my stand. :)

David
10-17-2011, 05:36 PM
You didn't build it then you shouldn't use it, at the very least leave if the guy that put in the time and effort into it shows up. I don't mind others using my blinds for duck hunting if I'm not using them, but leave if I show up and leave it as you found it or ain't going be there next time.

Chose to reply to your post, but really could have chosen anyones.

What logic are you using, what makes a tree stand special? If I bust my arse, get up early and show up to a lick, do you expect me to leave when you show up 30 minutes later and say it's your spot? The rule of the bush is first come first served and the RESPECTFUL person will LEAVE when they find another hunter already occupying a "spot" - whether in a tree stand, blind, or just sitting on a stump.

The fact that you built a tree stand (if it was even "you" who built it in the first place) does not give you the right to reserve that hunting location.

Me.

TESKELLY
10-20-2011, 11:02 PM
What about this scenario? I heard about someone getting harassed by a wooden tree stand owner several times over a season to get off his stand. He always did but then the next year he built his own stand three tree's away. The next weekend it was axed up and taken down. Right or wrong?

Fishhound
10-21-2011, 05:46 AM
David, your post is dead on.

emerson
10-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Expecting a tree stand on crown land to be left vacant for you is like expecting "your" hunting spot on crown land to be avoided by others, or blocking a road to keep others out of "your" spot. Speaking of hunting spots, why does so many hunters think they are the only ones to identify a likely spot on a map or walk.

curt
10-22-2011, 12:57 PM
unless it has the owners name and other ID on it ... if it is on crown land ... its first come first served ....

this is the type of attitude that creates nothing but issue's and BS CONFLICTS it doesnt take a rocket scientist to realize that if you didnt build it then really regardless where it is you have no right to it and a respectful hunter with integrity would happy vacate to allow the owner to utilize his stand.

curt
10-22-2011, 01:08 PM
further to my last post knowing full well that this situation would very likely end up on some kind of a fight . I personally wouldnt waste the time or effort to build a stand. there are plenty of reasonably priced climbing stands out there that would eliminate the grief that would certainly arise from this, So you could take your stand with you when you leave then there is no issue.

Gateholio
10-22-2011, 01:36 PM
I think this is much ado about nothing. How often does someone encounter another hunter in a freestanding they built, in BC? :)

J_T
10-22-2011, 04:26 PM
I think this is much ado about nothing. How often does someone encounter another hunter in a freestanding they built, in BC? :) Often enough that it is something that treestanding hunters have to think about.

Gateholio
10-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Often enough that it is something that treestanding hunters have to think about.

If it's a real issue, I'd just get a portable stand and eliminate the potentiol for conflict.

J_T
10-22-2011, 06:08 PM
If it's a real issue, I'd just get a portable stand and eliminate the potentiol for conflict.
And that is completely what we should be supporting. Not only does it reduce potential conflict, it's a more appropriate approach to hunting if we want to use stands. A temporary use of the land. No footprint. Mostly it comes down to education. Lots of people aren't aware of the flexibility that a portable stand offers.

proguide66
10-22-2011, 06:12 PM
If I built one and some dick was in it telling me where to poke it I think I might start a fire at the bottom of the tree...:mrgreen:...
kinda similar to stealing a trail cam isnt it?? cams on crown land..doest that mean fair game to use or take home?

Humans are all the same..some are 'challenged' between the ears and some arent...sadly many on both sides have hunting licenses...:-|

brazen
10-23-2011, 08:25 PM

Well I'm with Mikey's woman on this one. If I ever build a tree stand, I would be proud to see ANYONE use it, AT THEIR OWN RISK, lol! I've always climbed every stand I've ever seen, except the rotten ones. And if I was headed for 'my' stand, and somebody was in it, I would go hunt at one of the other hundred places I been wanting to get to, and hope they carve their initials and add a happy notch.

sneg
10-24-2011, 01:44 PM
if I did not build it I do not use it, as matter of courtesy. If I come earlier than tree stand owner than I use area and do not back up and expect later hunter to leave as matter of courtesy.Building the temporary structure does not give a right to occupy the area. Altough I did vacate area for older person on few occasions.

jeff
10-24-2011, 01:45 PM
bottom line if it aint yours leave it alone

bridger
10-24-2011, 09:23 PM
build your own or has already been posted use a portable. leave the other on alone.

Kody94
10-24-2011, 09:45 PM
If the permanent stand used nails, screws or lag bolts to affix it to a tree, on crown land, then the answer is YES it is ILLEGAL.

With that in mind, I don't really think that ownership rights exist for "permanent" wood tree stands. It would be pretty iffy to kick someone else out of an illegal structure that you built. :)

Still, however, I favor the option of use it, but if the guy that built it shows up, vacate out of respect.

When it comes to "hang-on" stands, they are an entirely different matter as they are quite clearly someone else's property. Leaving it unattended on crown land does not convey any public use rights. I would not use one left by someone else, any more than I would use a pick-up truck that was left unattended, at a trail head, even for a couple weeks. ;)

hunterdon
10-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Several years ago I put a great deal of time and effort in tracking a nice buck during the rut into his core area. I knew he had to be nearby and expected him to appear at some point. I would simply sit tight and wait for him. That is when I looked up to see a tree stand. No , I wouldn't use the stand. Not mine and I don't trust it. But for me the question is, Does that give this guy the right to walk in at some point later and claim the area for himself, because he's got a tree stand stuck up in the tree? I would definitely have a problem with that. I'ts crown land, I was here first and in this case it's first come first serve.

huntwriter
10-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Several years ago I put a great deal of time and effort in tracking a nice buck during the rut into his core area. I knew he had to be nearby and expected him to appear at some point. I would simply sit tight and wait for him. That is when I looked up to see a tree stand. No , I wouldn't use the stand. Not mine and I don't trust it. But for me the question is, Does that give this guy the right to walk in at some point later and claim the area for himself, because he's got a tree stand stuck up in the tree? I would definitely have a problem with that. I'ts crown land, I was here first and in this case it's first come first serve.

The hunter who put the stand up has no right to claim that as HIS spot, not on crownland. However, the stand is HIS property. Good on you for respecting that the stand belongs to someone else. It's also smart of you to think of the safety aspect. Personally I only hunt from stands I myself put up because of the safety aspect and of course because that is the only way to know that the stand is at the perfect location.

Looking_4_Jerky
10-25-2011, 12:06 AM
I think permanent stands are fair game for first come, first serve. You don't want anyone using your stand? Buy a portable at Wally-world and pack it out at the end of the day...

That's not to say I wouldn't offer to vacate if someone came and they were able to give me a strong impression they were the builder, however, if I built one and arrived to find someone in it I'd be sheepish about asking them to leave. When you undertake the construction of a tree stand, you do so with no guarantee that you can preclude others from using it.

hunter1947
10-25-2011, 02:14 AM
I would sit in this stand but if the person came in to use it I would have respect and let him have it and leave..