PDA

View Full Version : Swarovski Question

GAME TIME
10-13-2011, 12:13 PM
What would you choose, 8.5X42 or 10X42 HD EL's. And why?.

Tenacious Billy
10-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Some guys like 10x....I prefer 8.5x. Just preference I guess...a little wider FOV and seemingly a little easier to hold steady with the 8.5 power. If you've got a spotter and really want a good look, pull it out. For extended glassing sessions, I'd go with 8.5x....lots of guys like 10s though. I think it all boils down to what YOU prefer.

ThinAir
10-13-2011, 01:13 PM
My bro and I both bought the swarovisions last year.. I bought the 8.5's and he bought the 10's. We both like the 8.5's better.

BlacktailStalker
10-13-2011, 01:21 PM
I like the 10's better... because thats what I have :)

stoneguide
10-13-2011, 01:27 PM
I personaly prefer 10x. Lower power are probably slightly easier on the eyes but with higher end glass I dont find any eye strain with the 10x and sometimes the lower power is brighter but I like the extra power for looking for that fine detail. I find it easier to pick out an antler tine, horn curl or ear flicker with the higher power under most situations. I carried a pair of 12x50 for a long time and loved them and would still be packing a pair except for them being tougher to use when heat waves are high.
Again just my personal opinions and resoning behind what I use. Only difference is I dont pack Swaro, but Leica instead.
SG

Weatherby Fan
10-13-2011, 01:58 PM
I can't comment to much on the Swarovski but having looked through them at several stores and shows,outstanding clarity.
I do prefer 10x myself using Leica 10x42s and have looked at several 8x or 8.5x power and just the field of view is a little better on the 8s but prefer the 10x for the same reason stoneguide mentioned above,
Some people mention having trouble holding 10x steady,I glass alot with one hand while packing my rifle in the other when hunting Mule Deer in the thick shit and my Leicas are not light by any means and I don't have any trouble holding them steady,I also use them daily at work with no issues.
Best to borrow or look through as many as you can b4 buying hopefully in the field not just inside a store,either way binoculars of that quality will last you a lifetime.
WF

snareman1234
10-13-2011, 06:38 PM
I have the 8.5 EL's, first of all, you will not be disapointed either way by the quality of the glass, it truly is a pleasure glassing with them.\

I have been pretty happy with the 8.5, nice to have the wider field of view, but at distances it certainly would be nice to have a bit more. But thats why I have a Swaro spotter! All depends on the country you are in right?

eastkoot
10-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Have Leicas but prefer 10's. Just remember every shake on your part is magnified. 8's won't seem to show the shakes as bad. But more magnification the better when counting points..

RoscoeP
10-13-2011, 07:01 PM
I have 10's Leupold but would prefer 8's. If I am sitting I can hold them steady with my elbows on my knees, standing is harder, elbows on chest. Best bet is to try both, back and forth, then get the ones you like. Cheers Roscoe

BiG Boar
10-13-2011, 07:08 PM
Depends what you are mostly hunting....

What is that?

If more shots are close, then get 8.5 as they are better for that, and if your quarry is 400-1000 yards away, then go with the 10.

Both will work for either, but each has its advantage, when used for what it is mainly used for.

hellojello74
10-14-2011, 10:38 AM
I have the 8.5's Love them, but for me, if its close i use them if not I use the spotter, Where and how I hunt I am never without the spotter
My philosophy is that I use the bino's to find the animal and then use the spotter to get a good look. Personally long glassing times are harder with the 10's, but if I was only hunting sheep id by the 10's just for range.... 8's for everything else
Just my 2 Cents

Tiptoe
10-14-2011, 10:18 PM
I have 10x Zeiss which are amazing if you are in more open country and I can sit and support my elbows on my knees while glassing. I find they are a little too powerful in forest hunting situations, and sometimes difficult to find/locate things through the trees at closer range because of the magnification. In a perfect world , it would be nice to have both, but I would opt for 8x for general hunting if I had to make a choice.

srupp
10-15-2011, 11:39 AM
I tried both chose the 8.5's more needed?? Swaro HD 20-60x spotting scope..

steven

Tarp Man
10-15-2011, 09:12 PM
I chose the 10x too. EL's prior to the new version with HD. They are Swarovski, how much more HD do you need? I find that with my glassing, the 8.5x is fine, but I can see fairly well with the naked eye at that range. With the 10x, it really does provide that much more detail. If you hunt mostly thick river bottoms and close brush, the 8.5 is what you would likely find best.