PDA

View Full Version : Traditional Deer Hunt

Fisher-Dude
10-12-2011, 11:29 PM
I was browsing my gun safe after work today, and my old Model 88 beckoned to me. I hadn't shot anything except paper with it for about 20 years, so I decided to go the traditional route for my afternoon hunt.

The lucky hound figured it was a good choice too. With about 20 minutes of light left, we explored a new cutblock.

This fat WT doe should taste great!

akyne
10-12-2011, 11:44 PM
Beauty! Amazing that a rifle of that vintage will still leave them just as dead as anything else! ;-)

What year, roughly, is the rifle anyways?.... and what's she chambered in?

3kills
10-12-2011, 11:48 PM
your havin a good season fisher!

Fisher-Dude
10-12-2011, 11:54 PM
Beauty! Amazing that a rifle of that vintage will still leave them just as dead as anything else! ;-)

What year, roughly, is the rifle anyways?.... and what's she chambered in?

She's a 1963 in 308 Winchester. As smooth and dependable as the day she was built.

coach
10-13-2011, 12:07 AM
Congratulations once again, FD. Calf elk, dink mulie and now a whitetail doe. Can it get any better?

akyne
10-13-2011, 12:09 AM
Gotta love old Winnie's!

LYKTOHUNT
10-13-2011, 05:53 AM
She's a 1963 in 308 Winchester. As smooth and dependable as the day she was built.
I took my first deer (black tail doe) with that very same model and caliber
It is one of those rifles that I regret selling

boxhitch
10-13-2011, 07:40 AM
20 year hiatus from using her and she still works for you ? Time heals all :)
Is it becoming tradition to shoot flatheads ? were you on traditional lands ?

lovemywinchester
10-13-2011, 08:03 AM
Nice fat doe. I love those old Winchesters!

moose2
10-13-2011, 08:26 AM
Good job FD shes a nice looking doe what are your plans now that you have your deer and elk.
Mike

MB_Boy
10-13-2011, 08:38 AM
Aw.....is that it FD? This thread should be called "old school" and not "traditional". Hell....there's even a scope on that thing...not open sights. Really a big let down. :p

I was expecting something more like one of these scenarios; :wink:

You driving around in an old "International" pick up with a loaded muzzleloader on board dressed in overalls and a red/black wool jacket.
Utilizing a brand new Dodge truck and spotlights....I expected a bunch of pics as if taken through night vision goggles.
FD in a loin cloth with his face painted (red wings colours) on horseback chasing down a doe with a spear. :-D
Regardless.......she should be some tasty eats!! Backstrap for dinner while you watch your Wingy's tonight? :wink: :mrgreen:

Stone Sheep Steve
10-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Just like calling up an old high school girlfriend....and she doesn't brush you off:-D.

I'd shoot one too but all we have here inside these gates are muley flat tops.

Maybe one day...............

Congrats to you and the old G/F!!

SSS

frenchbar
10-13-2011, 09:11 AM
i bet he had his traditional large double -double..and timmies traditional bannock...

MB_Boy
10-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Just like calling up an old high school girlfriend....and she doesn't brush you off:-D.

I'd shoot one too but all we have here inside these gates are muley flat tops.

Maybe one day...............

Congrats to you and the old G/F!!

SSS

Is that kinda like what they call "going back to the well?" :mrgreen: :wink:

IronNoggin
10-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Inherited the same model and caliber of rifle from my Grandfather. It was produced sometime in the 40's. Despite him having carried it for a few decades, and taking deer, antelope and elk consistently with it, the rifle is in remarkable shape! Gramps definitely was "Old School" all the way, and looked after his equipment exceedingly well. It shows.

I've only ever fired it at the range, and was impressed with the groupings it managed (1.5") with the ancient ammunition it came with, and the even more ancient fixed 4 scope on top. Certainly good enough for hunting purposes!

Thanks for the post FD! you have inspired me! Grew up under Gramps tutoring for hunting and a great many other things. Be nice to take his ol' smokepole for a stroll in the woods in search of a decent blacktail. I'd like to believe that in some way, Gramps will be there once again looking over my shoulder...

Cheers,
Nog

Salty
10-13-2011, 11:28 AM
FD you are going to slip completely from cool status around here dusting flat tops with that old Winclackster. Its not even stainless for heaven's sake :lol:

Send it to me. I might even pay a little. Get a RemBroelite stainless magnum with enough scope to see Mars and get back on the kewel cart man.

Johnnybear
10-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Get a RemBroelite stainless magnum with enough scope to see Mars and get back on the kewel cart man.

That would make a good sigline Salty!

Congrats on the nice WT doe FD. Good job dusting off the old 88 too.

markathome
10-13-2011, 11:43 AM
... well coming from a young guy with a young family. My dad gave me his 1956 model 88 and it's my only rifle. Over the last four years: six bucks, a doe and a bull moose. Old school, new school - whatever fills the freezer on a budget. Scope sure helps.

FirePower
10-13-2011, 11:45 AM
20 year hiatus from using her and she still works for you ? Time heals all :)
Is it becoming tradition to shoot flatheads ? were you on traditional lands ?
Women should be so faithfull and reliable...........Sorry girls just had to lol:twisted:..................Uuch BJ just hit me:confused:

sapper
10-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Congrats, F-D. It sounds like your freezer(s) are full.

Fisher-Dude
10-13-2011, 08:15 PM
Good job FD shes a nice looking doe what are your plans now that you have your deer and elk.
Mike

Dare we say "spike/fork?" :D

Pressure's off, so I'm not too concerned what hapens from here on. Maybe a stink buck for jerky later on.

GoatGuy
10-15-2011, 08:15 PM
Looks like you got the wrong one.

I'm sure that doe wouldn't have been a better pet than that mangy coyote of yours, not too mention the fact that doe wouldn't have sprayed diarhea all over the house.

Fisher-Dude
10-15-2011, 09:46 PM
Looks like you got the wrong one.

I'm sure that doe wouldn't have been a better pet than that mangy coyote of yours, not too mention the fact that doe wouldn't have sprayed diarhea all over the house.

All this advice coming from a guy whose horses shit 5 foot long tapeworms all over the trail. :-?