PDA

View Full Version : Tires for my Tacoma....almost got it figured out

mastercaster
10-12-2011, 10:31 PM
So after researching tires for the last 3 weeks..... looking at all the pros and cons of each tire suggested, checking out all the specs, and prices both up here and in the States I've basically come down with two possible choices...... which I'm still a tad torn between.

First of all I've decided to buy the tires up here. They will cost more but it will be easier to deal with any issues, tire rotations, and flats. However, I could still use your opinions if you would like to respond Even though I do go on a 4X4 road at least once or twice a week to get to lakes that are near my cabin, by far the most mileage I put on my truck is highway miles by driving the 3+ hours to the cabin and back throughout the still water season. I do some winter driving to get up to Kelowna to visit my kids and of course almost weekly for a month or so if the Thompson were to open again.

The 4X4 roads that I travel most to the lakes I go to are steep, rutted, rocky (shale like) roads as opposed to boggy, muddy roads. That being said I do go into the odd lake that has plenty of mud puddles....lakes like Fred.

The two tires I've gotten a price on are both the exact same price.......$1080 out the door

BFG KO's ........which are more of an off road tire, so the con here is whether they work as well on the highway and in snow (don't believe they make models anymore that have the snow symbol). For those who have these tires how are they in the snow?

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour.........an all terrain tire with the snow symbol. They are not as aggressive as the KO's but still a fairly rugged tire. Only have until Oct. 15th to decide on these ones at the price listed above.

Don't think I could go terribly wrong on either one but just the same......any last thoughts, gentlemen?

Thanks in advance~

Squamch
10-13-2011, 06:42 AM
Shale and BFG sidewalks are a recipe for misery.

bigstew
10-13-2011, 07:08 AM
I have a set of Silent Armour on my 2010 F150 and i really like them, it has only been 4 months, but i have been happy with them. Good traction, noise isn't too bad, and winter rated.

Shooter
10-13-2011, 07:41 AM
Did you look into the Nitto Terra Grapplers? Would likely be perfect for how you want to use them.

3kills
10-13-2011, 08:22 AM
i just picked up a set of good year wrangler territories so far i m happy with them a lil bit noiser cuz they are an aggresive tire but not to bad and they are snow flaked....here is the part i like i paid 500 bucks for the tires and a case of beer for the mount and balance and new stems. i had a good deal fall into my lap from a friend they arent brand new but they are 90% tread or better :D crappy tire had these tires on sale not to long ago.

meesemoot
10-13-2011, 10:14 AM
If you are trying to get through the whole year with one set of tires, I wouldn't want to do it with snow tires, which eliminates the Goodyears. Excessive tread wear and safety at high speed on hot days might be an issue, and if you have them studded they are illegal in summer, though that doesn't seem to bother the many folks up here who clatter around on them year-round. Just say no to studs. The BFG's will serve reasonably well in the snow, though on ice it is nice to have a softer compound. The BFG's are 3 ply, IIRC, so they are more puncture resistant than most, which is a plus on logging roads. They also have very long tread life, so you will get your money's worth from them for sure. I'm still running a set of five that I bought in the mid nineties, alternating with stud free Nokians in the winter.

mastercaster
10-13-2011, 05:04 PM
If you are trying to get through the whole year with one set of tires, I wouldn't want to do it with snow tires, which eliminates the Goodyears. Excessive tread wear and safety at high speed on hot days might be an issue, and if you have them studded they are illegal in summer, though that doesn't seem to bother the many folks up here who clatter around on them year-round. Just say no to studs. The BFG's will serve reasonably well in the snow, though on ice it is nice to have a softer compound. The BFG's are 3 ply, IIRC, so they are more puncture resistant than most, which is a plus on logging roads. They also have very long tread life, so you will get your money's worth from them for sure. I'm still running a set of five that I bought in the mid nineties, alternating with stud free Nokians in the winter.

The BFG KO's in the size I want also have the snowflake symbol....is that a bad thing if you want this tire as all season tire? At the $1080 price ticket for either set of tires is one a better deal than the other? Maybe that shouldn't be an issue~

meesemoot
10-13-2011, 10:04 PM
The BFG KO's in the size I want also have the snowflake symbol....is that a bad thing if you want this tire as all season tire? At the $1080 price ticket for either set of tires is one a better deal than the other? Maybe that shouldn't be an issue~

I got mine before the snowflake symbol and related standard were introduced, which happened in 1999. Apparently, almost every all-season tire qualifies, so the symbol is already out of date, and meaningless, if not downright misleading. Check this link: http://autos.ca.msn.com/specials/winter-driving-guide/article.aspx?cp-documentid=19293560

RandyC
10-13-2011, 10:23 PM
I have been using the BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA 8 ply for around 12 years. On my 1994 F250 Ford Diesel I always had lots of tread for 2 full years and would sell than after 2 winters for a couple of hundred with around 50% tread left. The last 3 years I have had a 2006 Chevrolet Duramax 2500HD and I got 1 year out of the first set and will barely get 2 years out of this set. I only am running them now because BF Goodrich gave me a discount after only getting one year out of the first set. I won' be buying them again, they have to be using a softer rubber compound which the factory rep has denied.

Pete
10-14-2011, 08:24 AM
My entire winter is spent off rd. either on the Range or on the trapline. I have used the same tire for almost 14 years. For my Tacoma I use a Yokohamma 8 ply 7.50 R16 supersteel 742S This is a taller, skinnier tire that is a real mudder, it really outshines any tire that I have ever used especially a wider tire.

hellojello74
10-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Either one, I would get them siped if not already, often over looked but well worth it in wear and performance

Pete
10-14-2011, 03:00 PM
Either one, I would get them siped if not already, often over looked but well worth it in wear and performance
I totally agree with you. All mine are siped. Cost a bit more but will pay for itself in the long run.

Slime green cat
10-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Dont think you could go wrong with either tire . I have heard good things about the silent armor, although I have never had them personally ...
I have had a few sets of the BFG KO's and they are a great tire ! last forever it seems ... very smooth riding and reasonably quiet for a semi aggressive tire .
Why they took the snowflake symbol from the KO's, I dont know ? They are really really good on snow and ice (for a non specific winter tire)
I have a set right now on my 2010 F150 ... put them on the day I bought the truck and have 49'000 km on them so far .. mostly highway, but they have seen at least a few thousand km of gravel roads and rough secondary roads ... no flats so far, and they still look like new ! If I had to guess I would say they still have about 65% ... maybe even 70% .
The way things are going, I will get at least 100'000 km out of them .
I will probably buy them again on my next new truck as long as something better hasn't come along.
One other thing thats hard to over look is that the BFG KO is probably the best looking tire around ! They will actually make your truck look better ... where is the silent armors kind of look like a stock tire .
Good luck !!

Tank
10-15-2011, 12:22 PM
I put a set of Silent Armor tires on my 07' Tacoma when I first bought the truck. I used them year round for 3 years until I bought a set of dedicated winter tires last year. My truck has about 120K on it and I am just now starting to think about swapping them out. They are tough enough for FSR's (I have never had a flat) and are quiet enough on pavement. I have always been pleasantly surprised by the traction in the slick stuff. They are also surprisingly good in the winter. I don't have much insight into the BFG's, but when I do replace my tires next spring, I won't be shopping around and will just be going with another set of silent armor's.

Bistchen
10-15-2011, 12:26 PM
I put 285/75/16 Firestone Destination M/T on my 09 tacoma. Mind you I had to put a 3.5" lift in my truck. But im never looking back now. Best upgrade I ever did.

My buddy put some A/T 's on his 94 jeep, and they were good. Great tire for snow.

mastercaster
10-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Dont think you could go wrong with either tire . I have heard good things about the silent armor, although I have never had them personally ...
I have had a few sets of the BFG KO's and they are a great tire ! last forever it seems ... very smooth riding and reasonably quiet for a semi aggressive tire .
Why they took the snowflake symbol from the KO's, I dont know ? They are really really good on snow and ice (for a non specific winter tire)
I have a set right now on my 2010 F150 ... put them on the day I bought the truck and have 49'000 km on them so far .. mostly highway, but they have seen at least a few thousand km of gravel roads and rough secondary roads ... no flats so far, and they still look like new ! If I had to guess I would say they still have about 65% ... maybe even 70% .
The way things are going, I will get at least 100'000 km out of them .
I will probably buy them again on my next new truck as long as something better hasn't come along.
One other thing thats hard to over look is that the BFG KO is probably the best looking tire around ! They will actually make your truck look better ... where is the silent armors kind of look like a stock tire .
Good luck !!

The BFG's in my size does have the snowflake symbol but in the end I decided to go with the silent armours......time will tell if I made the best choice.

Thanks everyone for all the input!! That's definitely one of the best things about fishing and hunting websites. There's such a diverse group of people on them that there's bound to be someone who is an expert on whatever topic you need information on.

Squamch
10-20-2011, 06:38 AM
My entire winter is spent off rd. either on the Range or on the trapline. I have used the same tire for almost 14 years. For my Tacoma I use a Yokohamma 8 ply 7.50 R16 supersteel 742S This is a taller, skinnier tire that is a real mudder, it really outshines any tire that I have ever used especially a wider tire.

It's a shame those aren't a taller tire, they'd do nicely for my Toyota I'm workin on....but they look really good for my f250...what's the damage on a set of 4 if you can recall?