PDA

View Full Version : White tail hunting in Kamloops

Double-a
10-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Gents,

I know that no one likes to give up thier hunting spots... But I'm looking for suggestions on where to find the whiteys in the Kamloops area. The only place I've seen them is on farmer's fields around here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

beni
10-12-2011, 03:52 PM
saw a nice 4x4 and 3x3 near Timber Lake Rd few weeks before season, I haven't hunted around town yet this season.. I was dirtbiking at the time.

Pinantan has some, Tunkwa, Logan lake area I think?

there are a bunch of threads that list some areas.

Ruger4
10-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Jelvis Kamloops 101 in 3,2,1.................................

Looking_4_Jerky
10-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Lol... this may seem like the Kamloops 101 course mentioned above, but here goes....

There are small pockets and potential for isolated occurrences in every direction around town. You really need to pick an area and then scour it, taking note of where you tend to run into whitetails. When you feel like you've narrowed down areas with some density, keep working them hard (and smart). The locations of these smaller pockets is the valuable info and it's what other whitie hunters (your competition) are not going to let out of the bag. No offence, but what you're going to find in response to this thread (unless someone is kind enough to PM you) is useless info because it will be so general that you probably already know. For example, I can tell you that off the top of my head I can recall seeing whities in: Dewdrop (only a couple), Lac du Bois, O'Connor, Black Pines, Heffley Creek/Lakes, along the north Thompson from Kamloops all the way past Vavenby, Badger/Knouff, Louis Creek, Eileen Cr to Chase, Strawberry Hill, Pinitan, Pritchard (north and south of the river), all over the Shuswap, Paxton/Westwold, Douglas Lake Ranch, Barnhartvale/Campbell/Scuitto, Roche, Knutsford, Stump Lake, almost the entire old hwy to Logan Lake, Inks Lake, Savona to Logan Lake, and the list goes on. You may feel like my post is useless, but the valuable part of it is that I should be convincing you that you COULD get a whitie almost anywhere around town and that you just need to put in effort to narrow down your search. I'd personally start with the areas that you have seen them before and areas you already know well. My other "useless" tip is that they're not all on farm fields! Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, I'm not sure), we don't live in an area where they are so abundant that you are likely to road-smack one (although it does happen too).

Best of luck!
Jerky

Tim
10-12-2011, 06:31 PM
There is alot of animals around town. pick a direction and put your time in. I have some spots picked out and an extra km down the road they dont seem to show up. People may be able to tell you a road here or there but it takes time in the feild picking through the one and a half billion trails to find where they are and where they are that is opportune for hunting. I've found alot of deer recently but the spot was so dense or in another case it was a little valley, then it just becomes a big game of "how far can I push em into the bush before I'm tired"

swampthing
10-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Whities always try to run into my truck when I go up the coq hwy in the stake lk lac le june area. That fence doesnt keep em off the highway.

KevinB
10-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Jerky said it pretty well, there are whities in pockets in nearly every direction, based on what I've seen, and what I've gleaned from others. The tough part can be actually seeing them, even if you are in one of the pockets that holds them. That can be the frustrating part, you don't know if you're wasting your time or not until you actually bump into some. You just gotta stick to it. I figure if you see a few, there's probably quite a few in that area and it's worthwhile going after them. This may seem obvious, but I have had more sightings of whities in areas that don't hold a lot of muleys (whether it's because the habitat is marginal, or there is a lot of dirt bike activity, or they just don't prefer to mingle, whatever, I don't know).

And, do a lot of sitting. They're pretty wary. It's boring but it produces.

Darksith
10-13-2011, 09:14 PM
honestly if you don't know where they are and are new to kamloops don't bother to hunt the wt. I simply mean go hunting the mulies, and always take note of where you spot a wt. If you want a wt doe go for a short drive to cherry ville or armstrong. Its not worth trying to track them down when all you have is a 50km long road name for a location. Ive been hunting around kamloops for 5 years now and have spotted enough wt's, but not enough to actually go hunt them exclusively. I pack a wt tag for just in case, but if I want to drop 1 as my primary target I go for a drive for an hour.

Double-a
10-17-2011, 11:31 AM
honestly if you don't know where they are and are new to kamloops don't bother to hunt the wt. I simply mean go hunting the mulies, and always take note of where you spot a wt. If you want a wt doe go for a short drive to cherry ville or armstrong. Its not worth trying to track them down when all you have is a 50km long road name for a location. Ive been hunting around kamloops for 5 years now and have spotted enough wt's, but not enough to actually go hunt them exclusively. I pack a wt tag for just in case, but if I want to drop 1 as my primary target I go for a drive for an hour.

I would have to agree with you about hunting the muleys around here. I have been sucessful at that. I also haven't seen very many white tails around here. The odd one but that's it. Maybe I will head east.