PDA

View Full Version : Finally get an elk

sparky300winmag
10-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Well my partner Ron and I finally got an elk on our annual elk trip . We've been hunting together on this trip for 8 yrs and the two of us out of a group of 6 were the only ones not to get an elk. i live up here in the EK ( 3 yrs), so i have already been out every weekend up to the start of our trip, but had been unsuccessful. When i first ranged him he was 550 yds so we moved as far as we dare and set up. We had a 400 yd shot , i was on stump using my new Ziess Conquest scope and my partner was kneeling . We don't know who hit it cause Ron shot right after i did, but it didn't go 25 yds and was hit right in the boiler room and a couple of other places because we kept shooting because if he went down hill into the thick woods it would have been a nightmare to get out or track if we had to. It turned out perfect.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee157/sparky300winmag/ourfirstelk2011.jpg

A few days before my other buddy spotted a 6pt bedded down on the side of the mountain, we had an hour to hike up and get a shot before dark.Ray and his partner Sean thought i should try to take him since i hadn't shot a rocky mountain elk before( now those are friends). We hiked up within 300 yds and i shot first but shot just over him , then i lost sight of him. My buddy Ray could see him and shot twice , i heard the smack on the last shot. We hiked up to find him or some sign of blood, but darkness came and we had no lights, so we decided to head down and look for him the next morning. We headed back up the next morn with some help and looked and found some blood, we were looking for it when my brother radioed us from down below and informed us that he had spotted it moving into some thick brush about 100 yds away and we had better hustle if we want to finish it off. Ray and his son walked into the brush looking for it and the rest of us were higher so we just watched to see if it made a run for it .Ray found it bedded and finished it off. He had hit it in part of the lung the day before, so it wasn't going very far, but we could have easily not found it where it was.After 4 hrs ( the worst extraction we've ever done)and 5 guys pulling it out down hill it was in the truck.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee157/sparky300winmag/DSC05455.jpg
I know the pics don't show the 6th points the way they are positioned but trust me they are 6x6 elk.

spear
10-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Couple nice bulls there. Looks like some steep country.

rocksteady
10-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Congrats...well worth the effort though...

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
10-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Two nice elks. Good hunting.

moose2
10-11-2011, 08:49 PM
great looking elk congrats to everyone involved.
Mike

ydouask
10-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Great effort. Congrats on a couple of good ones.

steepNdeep
10-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Way to hang in there! Beauty bulls, congrats.

Mikey Rafiki
10-12-2011, 07:33 AM
Good work! They taste much better after a long pack out.

3kills
10-12-2011, 08:09 AM
nice bulls congrats! I can see the 6th point on both bulls on one side ;)

Philcott
10-12-2011, 08:51 AM
I can see why you didn't want him going over the edge in the first pic.

Congrats on the two elk.

kennyj
10-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Congratulations on the nice bulls.
kenny

375 ultramag
10-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Couple of nice bulls...congrats!!