PDA

View Full Version : Struck out on calf opener

r0adki1l
10-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Well the story starts last week when we went out the bobtail fsr to do a lil hunting. leave town by 6 get out onto the grizzly fsr by around 7ish. Pull of at km 2 into a side road go in a bit and then stop for a much needed pee. while im out Im yapping with the kids in the truck not being very quiet, get back in go up trail about 500 yards to the top of a lil hill. After getting out to scan the block I happen to look back near where i'd stopped to pee and standing behind a few trees in a swap is a Cow and a good size Calf... they were only about 100 yards from where id stopped originally. Anyways a week goes by monday is the calf opener same thing get up early race out there. As we are about 3 kms away from where i'd spotted the calf we see a guy from our hunting camp. He sdays we just dropped a calf at km 2 of the grizz fsr.... :cry: I say was it almost as big as the mom he says Yup right then my heart sank as i knew that this was the calf we were out there for... drive over to km 2 and sure enough there was the same calf. Buddy says they were cruising down the road to a diff spot when out of the corner of his eye he spotted an ear twitch. Anyways thats my sob story all we saw that days was 4 grouse and a wt doe. oh well "i'll have to go out more now and find another one Honey" hehe :twisted:

Mikey Rafiki
10-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Keep lookin. Should be a few more around!

Did you harvest the grouse?

jml11
10-11-2011, 01:00 PM
I struck out as well...covered a lot of ground on foot to no avail...glad to see everyone was compliant and not quading aroung in the am either...:evil:.

By the way...if you were in 7-12 or 7-15 that wihtetailed doe was open!!

todbartell
10-11-2011, 01:08 PM
I seen a calf yesterday, had it broadside at 75 yards for a few minutes. I was more interested in trying to make the small bull a 2 point but that 3rd point wouldn't go away :(

ape
10-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Sorry man but if the calf is nearly the size of mom it ain't no calf. It is what we refer to as an Abbotsford calf. We call them this because guys from Abby we met like to refer to yearlings as calves after they have shot them and quickly pack up and head home. If it is nearly as big as mom it is not a calf it is a yearling cow. Forget about her and go looking for another it is not worth the trouble.

sarg
10-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Sorry man but if the calf is nearly the size of mom it ain't no calf. It is what we refer to as an Abbotsford calf. We call them this because guys from Abby we met like to refer to yearlings as calves after they have shot them and quickly pack up and head home. If it is nearly as big as mom it is not a calf it is a yearling cow. Forget about her and go looking for another it is not worth the trouble.
thats what i was thinking its not no calf if its almost the size of mom, last years calfs not open for shooting less then 12 months only, that guy did u a faver let him get the fine.

r0adki1l
10-12-2011, 10:21 AM
I struck out as well...covered a lot of ground on foot to no avail...glad to see everyone was compliant and not quading aroung in the am either...:evil:.

By the way...if you were in 7-12 or 7-15 that wihtetailed doe was open!!
it was around km 13 on the pelican fsr. And as with most WT's all we only saw it for 10 sec's and it bolted into the bush

r0adki1l
10-12-2011, 10:23 AM
thats what i was thinking its not no calf if its almost the size of mom, last years calfs not open for shooting less then 12 months only, that guy did u a faver let him get the fine. now that you mention it, it was a female calf. How do you tell if it's over a year? other then size...

jml11
10-12-2011, 10:26 AM
now that you mention it, it was a female calf. How do you tell if it's over a year? other then size...

Calves have a distinctly stubby nose and are generally a lighter color, especially along the back. They tend to have 'hackles' along the 'hump' at the shoulders as well..some say they look 'fuzzy'.

10-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Size,,,, think of them as the female version of a spike fork bull. Not as big as an adult, but just about.
Calves are,,, in my mind,,,, unmistakeable. just look at the drawing in the regs.

todbartell
10-12-2011, 10:57 AM
passed on another calf this morning, a nice bull calf with momma at 80 yards.

10-12-2011, 11:02 AM
What if the fire ball went calf hunting?

todbartell
10-12-2011, 11:12 AM
What if the fire ball went calf hunting?

no longer have the Fireball but do have a decent 55gr TTSX load for my 223....:mrgreen:

sarg
10-12-2011, 05:56 PM
now that you mention it, it was a female calf. How do you tell if it's over a year? other then size...
when u see them u can tell, i was in 100 mile last week hunting and we came a cross 3 differnet sets of cow calf and one of the calf was a last year calf for sure almost the same size of mom, calf have stubby noise and differnet color, unmistakeable when u see them ur mouth will just start watering and u know its a less then a 12 month old calf.lol

r0adki1l
10-12-2011, 06:09 PM
when u see them u can tell, i was in 100 mile last week hunting and we came a cross 3 differnet sets of cow calf and one of the calf was a last year calf for sure almost the same size of mom, calf have stubby noise and differnet color, unmistakeable when u see them ur mouth will just start watering and u know its a less then a 12 month old calf.lol
Ya i'm pretty sure it was a calf. It was def lighter and shorter nose

sarg
10-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Ya i'm pretty sure it was a calf. It was def lighter and shorter nose
well in that case that sucks a**,:)