PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had ptarmigan?

russm86
10-11-2011, 08:13 AM
Just wondering if ptarmigan are any good eating? Also can they be cleaned the same way as grouse, stand on wings method?

250 sav
10-11-2011, 08:17 AM
meat was dark like liver, not my fav. but edible. can be cleaned like grouse.

GWiseman
10-11-2011, 08:42 AM
Shot many of them where i used to live. Grouse is better IMO.

Farmer
10-11-2011, 08:56 AM
We have had them a few times. We thought that they were excellent. They were very similar to ruffed grouse,

Foxton Gundogs
10-11-2011, 08:58 AM
Shot litteraly 100s ate them everyway from wrapped in tinfoil with onion and bacon in camp to some fancy home cooked recipe. all are good but my favorite is what I call Artic Hawaiian. Slowcooker, peppers, onions, fresh mushrooms, (optional- water chestnuts, baby corn, bamboo shoots.) ptarmigan brest fillets. Any kind of sweet and sour sauce you prefer and pineapple tidbits. cook for about 3 hrs. serve over rice. Variation is Artic Indian leave out optional ingrediats and replace S/S Sauce and pineapple with curry sauce and apple. Great fare. And a blast to hunt over dogs especial young dogs lol.

new hunter
10-11-2011, 09:08 AM
I've shot a few thinking they were just grouse , only took a couple seconds to figure out they weren't . When theyre cleaned and cooked its hard to tell the difference tween them and grouse .

FirePower
10-11-2011, 12:05 PM
I also have shot a goodly number of them when up on the tundra. The camp cook fixed them in a number of ways, my personal favorite was an ala King sort of concokshun with mushrooms served over pasta a most delicious bird no matter how it is prepared.