PDA

View Full Version : Moose 5-01

TIK306
10-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Heading up to 5-01 this week. Anyone know how the the bulls are doing? Any tips?

Busterbrown
10-11-2011, 06:23 AM
I just got back from my propery in 5-01 . We got two nice mule deer but saw very little moose activity. Saw one moose in our field but not much else. It is forecasted to get cold later in the week which should help. Good luck

johnny cabbage
10-11-2011, 09:29 AM
head up around windy lake area, still lots of moose around

TIK306
10-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Thanks, all the best on your hunts

Brew
10-12-2011, 08:16 PM
just up at wavey lake. There is a nice bull hanging out at the start of ripple lake. Called him into 30 yards. He was there all week. Go get em.

recoil
10-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Saw a bull and a cow two weeks ago (not together) in between Horse lake road and HWy24, seems to be a moosy area, flat/swampy. Used to be some moose hanging out behind deka near that swampy lake past trappers cabin but i'm not sure it may be too grown in now, found some decent sheds up there a few years ago.

Phil
10-12-2011, 08:55 PM
There is a big bull on the 8200 Rd .5 km in from the turn off of the 8000 rd. Look for the swamp on the right. He was standing there looking horny last weekend.

*bcgold*
10-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Hmm, When I saw this post, I thought..... Great don't have to post!!! I'll troll this post and record any ideas or tips for the area, because I have LEH for this area also. Small problem I have is: can't actually go to Windy Lake, because it's about 3 kms inside 3-39. Can go near the area hope they drift over, thanks. This beginning of Ripple lake is right on the border of 5-01 and 3-39. What are the odds of catching a Co in a bad mood. All jokes set a side, can we keep the tips and areas coming in, because I really don't know area that well, thanks also.

Phil
10-12-2011, 10:42 PM
The area to hunt beyond Rippple Lake in 5-01 is huge but heavily hunted. I'd be more concerned with the truck loads of locals trolling the roads and pounding the cuts than shooting a moose under the boundary sign with a CO hiding in the ditch. All the areas mentioned so far are local backroad hunting hyways.

*bcgold*
10-12-2011, 11:36 PM
Thanks Phil, I was joking around. The map I have has thick lines for boundary lines. Might take you up on your tip because its kind of near where I was thinking. If I can ask you, what you think of Needa and Bowers Lake area? Is that super busy area or do you think I can find a spot and hide the quad and find a hidden swampy area or use these road hunters to my advantage? Have not been up there in long time, so it will like going to a new area for me. Thanks for the reply.

Moose72
10-13-2011, 04:01 AM
Had a real nice bull 10 yards from the truck near boundry lake the other day with my son. He was a little scared as the bull came charging in.

Cyrus
10-13-2011, 07:46 AM
Also have a draw starting this saturday there..all these bull sightings in the area have me excited....although not the areas I hunt. I had the early October draw last year and saw 36 single cows in 2 weeks...thought I had the rut time? So I put in for the later draw and got it hoping the bulls would be still in rut....Some cooler weather ahead should also help I hope.....

*bcgold*
10-15-2011, 01:40 PM
So I kind of narrow it down where I like to work for this LEH moose. Question I have now is: With much cooler temperatures now, will the moose be more active in rutting? Main or secondary rut or does temp have any affect on rut? With this warmer fall we had any delay on this? Any thoughts plzz.