PDA

View Full Version : wt bucks in the southcountry(east koots)

Doc Sprat
10-10-2011, 05:39 PM
I never see wt bucks, with the exception of a 5 pt on a trail cam mid summer. LOTS of packs of does. Where are the bucks? ive been walking the thickest bush i can, getting away from roads and access. nothin. wondering if there habits are completely different from the does? during the dec1-20 bow season, i am told, that they are very easy to get. anythoughts?

Ddog
10-10-2011, 06:10 PM
umm,, gee thats kinda weird , see plenty of bucks all year long, during the archery season i wouldn't say they are easy to get, but was easier to see.

Doc Sprat
10-10-2011, 06:15 PM
cuz of the rut during dec 1-20

Ddog
10-10-2011, 06:53 PM
if thats a question, then no not cuz the rut,, generally the rut is past in Dec, there are a few does that may have gone unbred and a secondary rut taking place, but more likely due to snow levels in the higher elevations and the animals moving into the wintering zones, i have never had a problem taking a decent buck in the GOS with my bow, the rut is in full swing the last 2 weeks of November this is when you should be able to have a tree stand or ground blind and take a buck with your bow.

Bchunter3006
10-10-2011, 08:00 PM
They are here, so are some big ones, but the does are overpopulated. The buck to doe ratio is really not good in most places here. Bottom line... the bucks are here, but we need to shoot more does!

backcountrybowhunter
10-10-2011, 08:57 PM
lots of does, and see lots of bucks till october then dont see hardly any till sometime in november. I bet this weekend the ratio was 250 does to 0 bucks. (not exagerating)

Fisher-Dude
10-10-2011, 09:05 PM
They are here, so are some big ones, but the does are overpopulated. The buck to doe ratio is really not good in most places here. Bottom line... the bucks are here, but we need to shoot more does!

I agree with shooting more does, but there is nothing wrong with the buck : doe ratio, as the population would be shrinking if there weren't an adequate sperm supply. Instead, the population is still expanding, indicating a robust sperm supply, and lots of breeding bucks.

Sightability from the ground doesn't give a good indication of the ratio. Only a proper arial count can give an accurate ratio.

Tack243
10-11-2011, 05:54 AM
The Bucks are a lot smarter this time of year, more traffic in the bush will put them in hiding. Be patient until mid November they will be out looking for Does then.
Cheers

ncurrie
10-11-2011, 06:30 AM
white tail bucks tend to be more nocturnal this time of the year as well

cariboo crawler
10-11-2011, 07:21 AM
The Bucks are a lot smarter this time of year, more traffic in the bush will put them in hiding. Be patient until mid November they will be out looking for Does then.
Cheers
Tack is right on . Use this time to scout and buy yourself a self climbing tree stand . Look for sign and good places to put your stand. Do same in early Nov.
don't try chasing them / try out smarting them.
Good Luck!

Mountain Hunter
10-11-2011, 09:32 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_0257_copy.jpg
They're there (East Kootenay).

Pic taken Nov 15th, 2009, 4:33 am. I never did find him during daylight hours, had a treestand about 50 meters from the cam site!

budismyhorse
10-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Nice SE Koots buck!

oh they are there.......but they don't get like that by being stupid.

beni
10-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Walking through the bush looking for WT's is usually not the best method, they spook very easily. The closest i've managed while walking in the thick for them was about 30 yards, it was a doe and they were closed at the time :(. It was also in fresh snow, so I was able to sneak in fairly quiet.

cover your scent, sit off of a well used game trail (helps having a trail cam) or get yourself a stand. WT's use the same group of trails over and over, if you have patience you can be successful.

IronNoggin
10-11-2011, 11:13 AM
... the bucks are here, but we need to shoot more does!

I'll be wandering out your way later in the season, and sincerely Hope to be helping out with both those bucks & does! :twisted:

...WT's use the same group of trails over and over...

Good Advice Beni! Whitetails VERY Much are "Creatures Of Habit". Undisturbed they will indeed use the same trails, feeding, bedding and escape routes routinely. I have never found wandering around in the thick to be productive, actually the opposite is much more likely. Older, wiser bucks are SPOOKY as hell, will pick up on your presence usually WELL before you do theirs, and simply ghost away. Best to set up a stand - that has been our Go-To method for many many years of successful guiding for them.

Cheers,
Nog

bforce750
10-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Dont bother hunting it until mid November unless you just want a dink meat buck...they are everywhere...but right now there is about 100 camps pounding every road ,draw,cut..wait until everyone goes home and you will literally see them everywhere..way too much pressure to see alot of game right now.