PDA

View Full Version : My Sunday Moose

Spy
10-10-2011, 03:47 PM
It was Day 3 of our 3 week Moose hunt in north BC.:mrgreen: Our first 3 days were uneventful,with very little fresh Moose sign & 3 days of hard hunting & scouting!
Sunday Morning was cooler than what we had being experiencing 3'c & a brisk northely. The plan was to drive some new areas & find some"fresh"sign!It was a pleasure driving the main roads, as the logging trucks had taken a break for the weekend. Its not fun playing chicken with a fully loaded truck doing 100km/h on a road with no shoulder to speak of! In the days to come we had some close calls!:shock:

11 clicks on the main from camp we found a promising road to take,It turned out to be a maize of skidder trails passing beuti slashes, ponds & marshes!A horney area indeed,but where was the sign. After many hours of scouting we did see a cow moose, which was a relief,that with the many black bears.Eventually we stumbled on to a road we had not driven,2 km in we came around the corner everything was looking very Moosie, I spot a tree broken, up high on further investigation we conclude it to be a (fresh)moose rub! leafless willows surrounding it, were also a dead giveaway
We decide to head back to camp for lunch & plan to return to hunt our newly found "spot" later that afternoon!
The rub I foundhttp://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy226/Hunterspy/P1080324.jpg

Big Lew
10-10-2011, 04:02 PM
"Its not fun playing chicken with a fully loaded truck doing 100km/h on a road with no shoulder to speak of! In the days to come we had some close calls!:shock:"

I don't know if, or what you have, but using a programmable scanner allows me to drive most forestry roads while the logging trucks are running. The scanners aren't that expensive. Once you punch in the frequency (found at the start of all roads) you can listen to the truck's progress either coming in or going out so you can pull over in plenty of time to keep out of the way. Using either a radio or scanner will certainly put you on better terms with the drivers then surprising them on a narrow section or sharp turn.

Spy
10-10-2011, 04:16 PM
I spent the rest of the day trying to devise a plan to hunt the area! 2pm rolls around & I am eager to go hunt!My scouting Partner for that morning, is not that keen & chooses to stay in camp?:confused:So I pack the Quad & head out! After getting lost I eventually find the road Im looking for, 1 click in I park the quad & head off on foot to the, sign I had found earlier.

It was 3pm when I eventually get comfortable on a hillside over looking the rub! The wind is blowing at least 20 knots into my face & over the hill behind me, perfect for the hunting set up!I let out my first cow call LOL I was laughing at myself It sounded more like a sick pig than a moose!I was concentrating so hard to hear a reply through the wind, I swear I could hear people talking then Singing was I going crazy!15 min later I let out another cow call which sounded allot better then the first!
Seconds later through the wind I hear what I thought was a reply, I am not sure If I am Imagining it or not,funny the things you think you can hear when all alone & far Far Far away from anyone. Not wanting to over do the cow calling I give it 15 min then giver again,listening intensely....! The wind dies long enough for me to clearly hear A bull answer me,
Game-on!!!!

Spy
10-10-2011, 04:18 PM
"Its not fun playing chicken with a fully loaded truck doing 100km/h on a road with no shoulder to speak of! In the days to come we had some close calls!:shock:"

I don't know if, or what you have, but using a programmable scanner allows me to drive most forestry roads while the logging trucks are running. The scanners aren't that expensive. Once you punch in the frequency (found at the start of all roads) you can listen to the truck's progress either coming in or going out so you can pull over in plenty of time to keep out of the way. Using either a radio or scanner will certainly put you on better terms with the drivers then surprising them on a narrow section or sharp turn. Next time!!! We had radios for this pupose but the guy who owned them Had no clue how to use them,or unlock them! Sad But True!!!

Spy
10-10-2011, 05:52 PM
For the next hour we continued calling to each other me held up on the hillside, over looking the the cut block & him behind the cut block,behind a wooded area,In a swamp! The sun had just sunk behind the hill I was on, when I decided to make my move down the hill through all the deadfall towards the road at a snail pace calling as I went!

Half way down the hill I hold up behind a little pine for a rest & to call the wind has died & I can clearly hear him & what sounds like a cow with him!
She is also calling but in 3 to 4 sec long calls, weird calls I have never heard.
Next to the pine I find a perfect little piece of wood which I pick up & just start raking the pine in front of me with!
I raked that poor little tree real hard for about half a minute, then Gave a bull call,That got his attention!I heard what sounded like a hippo crashing into the water at full tilt followed by a deep bull call He was coming, I could hear him breaking through the trees!

Only problem I had was that I was kind of in no mans land!I had some heavy brush in front of me obscuring my view & chance for a shot, where I thought he was going to come through! I had to move & quick!I high tailed it over the deadfall & made a clump trees where i could hide behind!As he called I would call back This carried on for what felt like eternity , eventually a piece of white antler catches my eye!

He has tried to circle me & has come out of the trees in a completely different spot to where I thought he would & is heading straight for me not 100 yards away!
I cant believe this is happening,he is in & out of zippy holes & trees I cant get a shot & his coming head on!When he calls I call back! At 35 yards he shows me his chest & I pull the trigger! The 9.3 270 grain spear,
Drops him to his knees He turns & tries to get up turn & run but I drill him again through the neck!
Bull Down!!:-D

Spy
10-10-2011, 06:03 PM
http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy226/Hunterspy/P1080286.jpg
My sunday Moose & guys who helped me get Him out(thanks Guys):-Dhttp://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy226/Hunterspy/P1080288.jpg

Wrayzer
10-10-2011, 06:12 PM
That's a beauty! Quiet the rush calling in an amazing animal, congrats and enjoy it, had a moose roast the other day, nothin beats it.

Spy
10-10-2011, 06:26 PM
http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy226/Hunterspy/P1080325.jpghttp://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy226/Hunterspy/P1080300.jpg

My Bull (head) Myself & the Husky 9.3x57 that did the deed!:-D

Spy
10-10-2011, 06:30 PM
That's a beauty! Quiet the rush calling in an amazing animal, congrats and enjoy it, had a moose roast the other day, nothin beats it.

Thanks It was a thrill being my first moose I have called in! LOL We are having Moose lasagna tonight!

Spy
10-10-2011, 06:34 PM
http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy226/Hunterspy/P1080293.jpg

Half My Moose in the truck

Spy
10-10-2011, 06:39 PM
http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy226/Hunterspy/P1080296.jpg

1230 am & the moose is nearly hanging!

ydouask
10-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Great job on the calling and keeping a sharp lookout for surprise approaches !

kennyj
10-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Nice solid rack on that one Spy. Congratulations on a great moose. Sounds like a fun and exciting hunt.
kenny

Spy
10-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Nice solid rack on that one Spy. Congratulations on a great moose. Sounds like a fun and exciting hunt.
kenny

Thanks Kennyj:-D

Fisher-Dude
10-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Nice! And what a great Euro-gun!!!!!

Spy
10-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Nice! And what a great Euro-gun!!!!!
http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy226/Hunterspy/P1080309.jpg
Built in 1943 & brought back to hunt again in 2011 she performed flawlessly!

moose2
10-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Great looking bull congratulations.
Mike

Caveman
10-10-2011, 09:03 PM
It was Day 3 of our 3 week Moose hunt in north BC.:mrgreen: Our first 3 days were uneventful,with very little fresh Moose sign & 3 days of hard hunting & scouting!
Sunday Morning was cooler than what we had being experiencing 3'c & a brisk northely. The plan was to drive some new areas & find some"fresh"sign!It was a pleasure driving the main roads, as the logging trucks had taken a break for the weekend. Its not fun playing chicken with a fully loaded truck doing 100km/h on a road with no shoulder to speak of! In the days to come we had some close calls!:shock:

11 clicks on the main from camp we found a promising road to take,It turned out to be a maize of skidder trails passing beuti slashes, ponds & marshes!A horney area indeed,but where was the sign. After many hours of scouting we did see a cow moose, which was a relief,that with the many black bears.Eventually we stumbled on to a road we had not driven,2 km in we came around the corner everything was looking very Moosie, I spot a tree broken, up high on further investigation we conclude it to be a (fresh)moose rub! leafless willows surrounding it, were also a dead giveaway
We decide to head back to camp for lunch & plan to return to hunt our newly found "spot" later that afternoon!
The rub I foundhttp://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy226/Hunterspy/P1080324.jpg

Actually what you might have here is a cow snapping off the higher fresh limbs for her calf. I have witnessed them doing this to provide more tender shoots for the younger one. None the less congrats on a beauty moose.

Spy
10-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Actually what you might have here is a cow snapping off the higher fresh limbs for her calf. I have witnessed them doing this to provide more tender shoots for the younger one. None the less congrats on a beauty moose.
That would explain why there were no antler marks on the tree & all the willows in the area were stripped clean of leaves!So you could very well be right! Like I said in the Story I could here a cow calling sounded like she was saying, "don't go you idiot,stay here with me!"

Caveman
10-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Another interesting thing they do is eat the bark of a freshly fallen poplar tree. They strip the upside of the fallen tree. A rub will look like a rubbed patch on a poplar or pine usually. The smaller willows and pine look to be destroyed when they choose to use these. The top will be snapped off and all the branches, near the top, will be broken off with the trunk being shredded. Only the low branches in tact.

porcupine
10-10-2011, 11:09 PM
Nice bull Mike! Congratulations and nice story and hunt. Glad you got it with a 9.3x57 too. That's a great cartridge for that type of hunting. Your spot looks familiar too!

ELK Seeker
10-10-2011, 11:15 PM
Great lookin bull, nice thick rack on him. I bet that lasagna tasted great!

Spy
10-10-2011, 11:25 PM
Great lookin bull, nice thick rack on him. I bet that lasagna tasted great!

It was fantastic & the whole family enjoyed it,which makes it all worth it!

Spy
10-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Nice bull Mike! Congratulations and nice story and hunt. Glad you got it with a 9.3x57 too. That's a great cartridge for that type of hunting. Your spot looks familiar too!

Thanks Tom!

10-11-2011, 04:11 PM
great bull man!
i hop eto see on like it in a few days!

Spy
10-11-2011, 04:15 PM
great bull man!
i hop eto see on like it in a few days!
Thanks & Good Luck I hope you get him!!!! All four quarters on mine weighed 740 Lb hanging @ the meat cutter!

10-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Maybe one a bit smaller would do too! :)
Thanks,

303carbine
10-11-2011, 07:39 PM
http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy226/Hunterspy/P1080325.jpghttp://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy226/Hunterspy/P1080300.jpg

My Bull (head) Myself & the Husky 9.3x57 that did the deed!:-D

Nice to see a classic cartridge doing the deed and filling the freezer for you.

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
10-11-2011, 08:53 PM
You hunted for a long time for the moose. Good you found a huge bull. Nice work.

M.Dean
10-11-2011, 09:04 PM
There's no bigger thrill than pulling the trigger on a Bull Moose! Your heart's going Mach 10, the rifle barrel's waving around like a flag pole in a hurricane! You squeeze the trigger, and a thousands pounds of meat hit's the ground!!!What a Rush!!! Congrats on a very successful hunt!!!