PDA

View Full Version : My 2011 Region 8 archery mulie

coach
10-10-2011, 11:21 AM
The 2011 season has been a lot of fun so far. My daughter, Kiana and I have been out several times and have seen good numbers of bucks and bears. Although she's killed a few grouse, she hasn't been able to close the deal on a deer so far. A couple of days ago, I received a call from a friend who has permission to hunt some private land here in the Okanagan. The landowner has an apple orchard and a corn field, and the mule deer have been causing havoc with his crops. As much as I've enjoyed the many hikes and drives I've been on this year, Kiana and I decided that it would be worth helping the landowner out and taking an apple stuffed, corn fed deer to start filling the freezer up. When I woke her up at 4:45, Kiana bounced out of bed - ready to go. She doesn't shoot a bow yet, but just wanted to be with me and be part of harvesting a deer.

When we arrived at the property it was still pretty dark, but we managed to spot several bucks in the corn. Two were having a pretty good sparring session that we got to enjoy through our binoculars. I left Kiana with my hunting buddy high above the field and made my way slowly toward the deer. I crept to within 30 yards of a good sized 3 point, but he never did give me an angle for a shot. At first, he looked at me straight on and when he did turn, he walked slowly away. I was at full draw for a while, but had to let him walk. As I moved a little further into the corn, there were several small bucks within range. I set my sights on the biggest of the group and ranged him at 53 yards. I made about ten steps toward him and let an arrow fly. Apparently my math was a little out, and I shot a couple inches low. He trotted a short distance away, then stopped. This time, I got to 43 yards and put a shot right through his front shoulder. He ran off a short distance, then slowed. I could see blood pouring out of his nose. When he hit the edge of the field, he stood still, did a little wobble, then keeled over. I gave him about 20 minutes, then retrieved him.

We loaded him into the truck and took him to a different part of the property where we gutted and skinned him and took a few pictures on my iphone. He's no trophy in the antler department, but had a really good sized body. I know the whole family will enjoy the steaks, roasts and sausage this winter.

Kiana really enjoyed the whole experience and is looking forward to filling my whitetail tag or taking a Region 3 buck. Here's a pic of twohappy hunters:

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/seanandki.jpg

C.Groves
10-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Right on! I can't wait to bow down my mulie, thats the plan anyhow, never hunted with one. Good job on the hunt!

Blainer
10-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Now that is a great family outting.
it will create a memorable thanksgiving

Bow Walker
10-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Congratulations on a job well done. Helping the farmers feed the hunters is always a good thing. Plus - it's no slam-dunk in bagging one of those critters.

I had an occasion to finish off a deer that was just laying down, slowly bleeding out, one year. I got to within 10 yards of it and I decided that I didn't want to just let it lay there and 'suffer' - so I nocked an arrow and shot it through the head. Killed it right then and there. The arrow was just hanging out the other side by the last 2 inches or so - so I think it qualifies as a pass-thru. Point being......I won't hesitate to shoot a deer in the head any more.

I once had a nice buck standing, looking at me straight on, offering no shot at he vitals. He was standing in among an area of tall ferns so there was no chance at hitting his body. I held at full draw for probably about three minutes before he did an about face and calmly walk straight away from me into the thick stuff....while I just watched and prayed. I could've shot him right under the chin, hitting his spine, and probably killing him instantly - but I wasn't sure (at the time) of how the arrow would penetrate, so I let him walk. Not again - if presented with a similar situation.

I don't shoot a "speed bow" or a bow that has lots of KE - mine shoots at about 260 fps, and generates about 50 - 55 lbs of KE. But I've learned that it is plenty to get the job done. Especially at ranges that are "up close and personal" like what you experienced.

Just saying.........

Bow Walker
10-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot. I trust you are sharing with the landowner? Goodwill for next year?

coach
10-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Good points, Bow Walker. The issue with the three point was that the land owner next door may not have wanted my deer running into his land to die. My window was about 150 yards from the part of the property I was on to where I could have offended a neighbor. This was a meat hunt from the start. There will be lots of "antler days" in the future.

kennyj
10-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Nice buck. Awesome day out.
kenny

coach
10-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot. I trust you are sharing with the landowner? Goodwill for next year?

The landowner will be taken care of. He was pleased as punch to have one of the herd eliminated. Great point, nonetheless. Opportunities like this one are nice to have in your back pocket.

ydouask
10-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Thanks for sharing your experiences and picture with us.

ianwuzhere
10-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Awesome with a bow.. Good job.. Thanx for postin pix... Now go find that whitey!

jeff
10-10-2011, 08:00 PM
nice job coach

JDR
10-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Nicely done, coach, congrats! Good on you for including your daughter.

300H&H
10-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Great buck Sean, congratulations & good luck on your goat draw this weekend.

Fisher-Dude
10-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Good lookin' buck there, Coach!

moose2
10-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Way to go coach nice looking buck congrats on getting him with the bow.
Mike

coach
10-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks, everyone! If the rest of this deer tastes as good as these tenderloins, it won't last long around my place!

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/tenderloins.jpg

knockturnal
10-11-2011, 06:38 AM
If the land owner wants to get rid of more, I'm trying to find a buck for my fiancé to shoot with her bow. Just sayin... And you just made me hungry.

Everett
10-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Congrats on a great looking deer Sean good to help a farmer out.

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
10-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Nice buck with your bow. Good hunting!

jackychiles
11-12-2011, 04:52 PM
I am in an orchard these days and I have seen whitetails every time, just no bucks close enough. It sure is fun though and a great opportunity.

StoneChaser
11-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Point being......I won't hesitate to shoot a deer in the head any more.

I once had a nice buck standing, looking at me straight on, offering no shot at he vitals. He was standing in among an area of tall ferns so there was no chance at hitting his body. I held at full draw for probably about three minutes before he did an about face and calmly walk straight away from me into the thick stuff....while I just watched and prayed. I could've shot him right under the chin, hitting his spine, and probably killing him instantly - but I wasn't sure (at the time) of how the arrow would penetrate, so I let him walk. Not again - if presented with a similar situation.

I don't shoot a "speed bow" or a bow that has lots of KE - mine shoots at about 260 fps, and generates about 50 - 55 lbs of KE. But I've learned that it is plenty to get the job done. Especially at ranges that are "up close and personal" like what you experienced.

Just saying.........

Seriously?