PDA

View Full Version : shooting wt does

604redneck
10-10-2011, 10:43 AM
I dont know if everyone is the same way as me but I personally enjoy wt doe meat more than any other deer meat and on top of that there are too many of them and its hindering my muley buck resource. Anyways took one down this morning she weighed 85lbs on the hook with hide head and bottom halves of the legs off so i now have some meat for the freezer which is always top priority now its back to searching for a black bear and a nice big muley for the wall. just thought i would share this, oh and i had it in the cooler by 8:30 this morning and still made it too pick the wife up at the airport for 9:30 so that was a bonus and i didnt get in shit....yet! all in all a solid morning.

share your opinions on the whitetail population and how you feel about doe gos

buck nash
10-10-2011, 11:47 AM
If you want to knock down the whitey population you gotta get those does. Not a lot of meat on them but it sure is tasty.

d6dan
10-10-2011, 12:59 PM
I have no problems shooting wt does. last year my doe weighed in at 33lbs boned out. Best damn pepperoni I've eaten!..

604redneck
10-10-2011, 01:45 PM
ya the one i shot didnt move at all bout 70 yards out 300 win mag in the neck no meat ruined

brig
10-10-2011, 02:49 PM
I'll gladly Go shoot one, just tell me where there is a good area to find them :) Preferably around Kamloops.

MuleyMadness
10-10-2011, 02:52 PM
I'll gladly Go shoot one, just tell me where there is a good area to find them :) Preferably around Kamloops.

Wentworth Creek or North of Logan Lake....now get out there and kill yourself some tasty doe rat!

3kills
10-10-2011, 03:24 PM
i will shoot just gotta find one that will give me a shot LOL see bout 8 or 9 last year in the couple times i went out for them just couldnt connect on them. went this mornin for a quick drive to see what was movin but we went a lil late so nothing was movin LOL

rides bike to work
10-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Are there any white tails around 5-01 heading there friday

gwillim
10-10-2011, 04:01 PM
I think that a reasonable size white-tail doe and a white-tail buck would be just enough meat for my wife and I for a year. Last year I kept seeing does with the young still with them. It seemed too hard hearted to shoot a doe, even with a grown fawn. If I saw one on its own I would have no trouble taking one.

bearhunter338-06
10-10-2011, 04:21 PM
I was out today with the Tracker looking for a doe...............still looking.

one-shot-wonder
10-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Had one spotted at 7AM today but the fog played havoc with me. I will definately take a doe given another opportunity for management sake.

604redneck
10-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Atleast people are on the same page and the kelowna area I don't mind pointing people to an area

sakofinnlight
10-10-2011, 05:27 PM
My dad was down for thanksgiving this wknd in peachland, I brought him to a little hole I have found up the coquihala in muley country that has a big population of whiteys!! I shot a 4x3 whitey on sept 17 then I brought a friend in there and he shot a 5x4 on friday and today my dad shot a doe.

Jim Prawn
10-10-2011, 05:29 PM
I think that a reasonable size white-tail doe and a white-tail buck would be just enough meat for my wife and I for a year. Last year I kept seeing does with the young still with them. It seemed too hard hearted to shoot a doe, even with a grown fawn. If I saw one on its own I would have no trouble taking one.

Whats the legality of taking a fawn in a doe season?
JP

Gunner Staal
10-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Just downed one this morning in Kelowna. Had a blast doing it. Bit dissapointed in my shooting and the performance of my ammo. First time shooting Nosler Partition and it blew the shit out of the doe. Exit hole the size of an orange. Spoiled at least half a front quarter and basically all of the flank meat on the upper half of both sides. Nothing moved today until late morning but then it sounded like armageddon out there. I would guess a few doesky's bit the dust this morning. Im all for it. Now time for the big muley!

coach
10-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Whats the legality of taking a fawn in a doe season?
JP

Regs just say "antlerless".

aliagha
10-10-2011, 05:33 PM
i don't mind shooting a Topless whitey, in fact my dad and i shot two of em on the opening day of last year, and they taste great! but as far as this season goes, i haven't seen as many white tails as comparison to last year, since i bagged a nice buck earlier this season, i will try and pass on the doe and go for something with antlers.

Gunner Staal
10-10-2011, 05:38 PM
I forgot to mention the insane amount of fat on the doe I shot this morning. Maybe that typical of all does??? First one I shot so maybe its not uncommon. Also.....do you guys trim all that off before the butch or leave the fat on??

coach
10-10-2011, 05:43 PM
I forgot to mention the insane amount of fat on the doe I shot this morning. Maybe that typical of all does??? First one I shot so maybe its not uncommon. Also.....do you guys trim all that off before the butch or leave the fat on??

I always try to trim as much fat as possible off deer. Two reasons: 1 - deer fat goes bad very quickly and can cause the meat to taste gamey. 2 - butchers charge you for the weight of the animal when you drop it off. Might as well reduce that weight and keep your bill lower.

.300WSMImpact!
10-10-2011, 06:23 PM

means a bad winter coming

3kills
10-10-2011, 07:02 PM
I always try to trim as much fat as possible off deer. Two reasons: 1 - deer fat goes bad very quickly and can cause the meat to taste gamey. 2 - butchers charge you for the weight of the animal when you drop it off. Might as well reduce that weight and keep your bill lower.

not all butchers charge by weight the one here charges flat rate for deer. but lot of butchers will leave the fat on and like u said it can make it taste gamey.

eastkoot
10-10-2011, 07:10 PM
I've only ever petted them!!!!

Remington721
10-10-2011, 07:26 PM
My Grandpa shot one this morning, we could of got a double but i decieded i will wait and maybe get a buck

shed-hunter1
10-10-2011, 08:37 PM
i droped one this morn walked up and it was a buck ha ha oh well still a whitey

Fisher-Dude
10-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Are there any white tails around 5-01 heading there friday

There are some whities there, but there are no doe seasons in region 5. Bucks only.

aliagha
10-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Unless, you cross the nearby border into region 3.

coach
10-10-2011, 08:49 PM
i droped one this morn walked up and it was a buck ha ha oh well still a whitey

Interesting scenario. When whitetail does were on LEH, the authorization was for antlerless or spike buck. I think it's fairly common to have young whitetail bucks with spikes that are a smaller than their ears.

Farmer001
10-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Daughter filled my tag this morning with a wt doe, had a few laffs and her first deer so she was stoked. Plus they do make the best pepperoni

M.Dean
10-10-2011, 09:02 PM
If you hunt White Tail Does around my place, the ones with real shiny noses are the ones the School Kids pet and feed there Lunch Apples and Oranges too! So, if possible, don't shoot the Does when the School Bus has the Big Blinker Lights going, OK??? We've seen tons of White Tail Does during the season, we've just never had the heart to shoot one because we watched them with there Fawn's, taking lots of pictures of them, some of the Kids have even named the Fawn's! So, up here, we try to shoot Bucks, but it's up to each hunter to decide if they need that 38 pounds of meat there going to get from killing a White Tail Doe, and will it make the difference of making it through the winter for you and your family? And, try to watch, if the White Tail Doe looks about the size of a Black Tail Deer, it's a Fawn!!! Thank's!

lovemywinchester
10-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Killed one last year and was out looking for one today. They can be sneaky little bitches. My buddy just emailed me from Kelowna and he has four outside his backdoor every night so I may have to go down for a night for a meat hunt.

My Grandpa shot one this morning, we could of got a double but i decieded i will wait and maybe get a buck
You may know this but you can kill a whitey buck and a doe if you want.

Fisher-Dude
10-10-2011, 09:09 PM
If you hunt White Tail Does around my place, the ones with real shiny noses are the ones the School Kids pet and feed there Lunch Apples and Oranges too! So, if possible, don't shoot the Does when the School Bus has the Big Blinker Lights going, OK??? We've seen tons of White Tail Does during the season, we've just never had the heart to shoot one because we watched them with there Fawn's, taking lots of pictures of them, some of the Kids have even named the Fawn's! So, up here, we try to shoot Bucks, but it's up to each hunter to decide if they need that 38 pounds of meat there going to get from killing a White Tail Doe, and will it make the difference of making it through the winter for you and your family? And, try to watch, if the White Tail Doe looks about the size of a Black Tail Deer, it's a Fawn!!! Thank's!

Even though the best management plan for the healthiest herds, highest harvest, and biggest bucks comes from shooting deer of either sex and all age classes. Your outdated "don't shoot a doe" theory has been completely debunked by science, and is held only by those who haven't learned what's best for both themselves and the deer herd.

shed-hunter1
10-10-2011, 09:36 PM
i think the whitetail doe season should of been in a long time ago seeing more and more of hybrd deer up clinton

M.Dean
10-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Even though the best management plan for the healthiest herds, highest harvest, and biggest bucks comes from shooting deer of either sex and all age classes. Your outdated "don't shoot a doe" theory has been completely debunked by science, and is held only by those who haven't learned what's best for both themselves and the deer herd. Your dead on with the "I've been debunked by science", you, my Learnerd friend, are much wiser than I, and obviously much more educated on the number of White Tail Deer around my house, but, if you reread my post, I was merely commenting on the Beauty of the White Tail Doe! I've taken hundreds of photo's of them, and there one of the most beautiful deer to see in the wild! I personally don't give a "Shit" if you kill everyone around your house, Mr. Dude, I'm simply saying I don't shoot the ones around mine! So, if you find the need to shoot Does so you and your family have meat to last the winter, please, feel free, I'll take Pictures of the ones around here and buy Pork and Beef!!!

tash
10-10-2011, 10:44 PM
We've managed to get one per year for that last three years. It helps fill the freezer. They've averaged between 80-85 lbs on the hook.

I've found that in the West Kootenays, they can be super sneaky and hard to find. East Kootenays on the other hand, is a completely different story....

We do our best to take a dry doe. Shooting one with a fawn just doesn't sit quite right with me.

SR80
10-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Saw 5 today near kamloops. Didnt take one, and like M.Dean said they are one of the prettiest deer out there. The fawns jumped around and reminded me of my dog when it was a puppy. I didnt shoot one either.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-11-2011, 08:17 AM
means a bad winter coming

Accuweather is forecasting a severe winter....most severe in decades. 5 degs below the normals with large accumulations of snow..particularily in Jan and Feb.

Deer could be in for a long hard winter. Best to go thin them out before winter and reduce the mortality rates later on..which will only feed the predators.

SSS

3kills
10-11-2011, 08:26 AM
up here, we try to shoot Bucks, but it's up to each hunter to decide if they need that 38 pounds of meat there going to get from killing a White Tail Doe, and will it make the difference of making it through the winter for you and your family? And, try to watch, if the White Tail Doe looks about the size of a Black Tail Deer, it's a Fawn!!! Thank's!
yes with a family of 5 we need all the meat we can get to make it through the winter! so ya if i have a chance to shoot a flat top i will!

Salty
10-11-2011, 12:42 PM
I have partaken in the great flat top hunt in the past. Good sized wt doe taken within 5 miles of a humungous alphalpha field a couple yrs back was some of the best venison I've ever ate. I think its a great hunting oportunity that contributes to a good managment plan.

Here's another way to look at it. Years of no doe season = hundreds of does and fawns yarding up moving very little, almost zero fear of people and eating stuff planted by humans. Have a season once in a while, shoot them up a bit teach the young ones that standing in a field all day is a bad plan and people suck! Better smarter gene pool in the making?

Pass the sausages. ..

lovemywinchester
10-11-2011, 12:54 PM
I have run into several does with little ones this fall and EVERY one had two fawns with her. Lots of good food this year so no harm in taking a doe. If I remember correctly, the hbc poll last year showed only 60 or so does taken so not much of a dent in the population.

604redneck
10-11-2011, 04:12 PM
really only 60....was this just by members that took the poll? And i will gladly shoot my max every year they might be a beautiful animal but so are all other animals we live to hunt.....but we still go out there every chance we get searching for whatever animal it might be. Besides i need the meat more than the antlers on the wall right now with no work and being in school trying to pay a mortgage, going out and buying steak isnt cheap driving 10 mins from home and butchering myself is cheaper and the meat is healthier imo.

10-11-2011, 04:22 PM
really only 60....was this just by members that took the poll? And i will gladly shoot my max every year they might be a beautiful animal but so are all other animals we live to hunt.....but we still go out there every chance we get searching for whatever animal it might be. Besides i need the meat more than the antlers on the wall right now with no work and being in school trying to pay a mortgage, going out and buying steak isnt cheap driving 10 mins from home and butchering myself is cheaper and the meat is healthier imo.

You bet man! Thoes animals are there to feed us AND there for us to enjoy persuing. Does,,, mmmmmmm

s-dog
10-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Whack em and stack em! Especially near muley winter range areas,if you like hunting big muley..they are an aggressive and prolific species.Concentrate on creek bottoms and draws as a general rule or near alfalfa. They are cagey so set up a tree stand or a good ground blind for best success.I find the best movement is at first light or last light. Lets get those young fellas out there to harvest some great table fare!

Remington721
10-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Killed one last year and was out looking for one today. They can be sneaky little bitches. My buddy just emailed me from Kelowna and he has four outside his backdoor every night so I may have to go down for a night for a meat hunt.

You may know this but you can kill a whitey buck and a doe if you want.

I thought you had to travel to a different region?

coach
10-11-2011, 06:20 PM

Each region has different rules. Consult the regs. In the Okanagan, you are allowed 2 deer total. Only one can be a mule deer (does are on LEH). Two can be whitetail - one buck and one doe.

In my situation, I killed my R8 mulie so I can take only one whitetail (buck or doe). Of course, I will be allowed to take a third deer in a different region.

lovemywinchester
10-11-2011, 07:36 PM
It explains it in the regs. Its the very first paragraph after each region map.

Ubertuber
10-11-2011, 07:55 PM
and like Mr.Dean said they are one of the prettiest deer out there.
I feel bad the actual Mr. Dean gets quoted for M.Deans posts. They are two different fellows guys no?

I'll be out next week looking for a WT buck or doe. The first one I see hits the ground.

Fisher-Dude
10-11-2011, 10:44 PM
I talked with a young lady (youth hunter) in Walmart tonight who was buying another whitetail tag, as she got her first deer, a WT doe, today. She was really happy and enthusiastic, and that's exactly what we need in the hunting community. These seasons are a great opportunity for young hunters to experience shooting their first deer, and to put some great meat in the freezer. Congrats to her, and her proud dad!

aggiehunter
10-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Enthusiastic young hunters are awesome..seasoned hunters on here saying 'whack and stack" and calling whitetails Rats frankly make me sick...

Singleshotneeded
10-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Yeah, it's great for young hunters to get any sort of deer, and it's their enthusiasm that's the future of our sport.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-12-2011, 08:34 AM

Not really directed at you M Dean but rather this whole situation.
I, too, can appreciate urban wildlife....but this atttude with the youth can be a slippery slope. Some of these kids naming the deer and taking lots of pic might just grow up to be city councellors one day. Pretty soon Kammy might just end up like Cranny, Kimberly and Penticton where there's no shooting within city limits..inlcuding target shooting a bow.
Best not to let the deer get to comfortable with people....keep them wild.

SSS

604redneck
10-12-2011, 11:23 PM
I agree 100% withe SSS it's a valid point not every kid has to hunt but let's understand that population control has to exist and they are wild.....look how aggressive they get when they get comfy

aggiehunter
10-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Really Redneck...how aggressive do WT's get when they get comfy...do they take too much time with the remote...please tell...

Salty
10-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Really Redneck...how aggressive do WT's get when they get comfy...do they take too much time with the remote...please tell...

google crandbrook whitetail attacks for an example

Gunner Staal
10-13-2011, 05:48 PM
I dont know what the fuss is about. You will shoot them or you won't. As for 38 pounds of meat being all you get....mine was over 80 on the hook and I was just tickled with that. I do eat it and feed it to my family all winter and no....... I promise I have never considered hunting in your backyard. What a dumb comment. You will shoot a buck but not a doe?? Would you shoot a cow moose or elk with an LEH?? Whats the difference?? I find it strange that the organ possessed by a wild animal somehow envokes emotion in an experienced hunter. I appreciate and cherish the opportunity to harvest any animal I can.

dana
10-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Aggiehunter,
Whackn and Stackin and Grillin' was coined by what famous bowhunter????

If you want to see mule deer in this province go the way of the dodo bird and the mountain caribou, by all means, don't shoot a whitetail doe. If you actually care about proper wildlife management, please, please take the opportunity to shoot a whitetail doe. If left unchecked, whitetails are no different than rats. They mulitiply and mulitply and mulitiply. That is why they have the nickname of dinky dog rat deer. If that sickens you oh well, too bad sooo sad. :) I myself am a promoter of the Whack and stack philosophy of whitetails. You can fill the freezer full of some great eats and do your part for wildlife management. Saw 18 whitetail does on Monday and only 3 muley does. This is in an area that historically had zero whitetails 20 years ago.

groove
10-13-2011, 07:01 PM
"I appreciate and cherish the opportunity to harvest any animal I can."

Exactly. Well said, Gunner.

tash
10-13-2011, 07:15 PM
google crandbrook whitetail attacks for an example

I believe that was actually a muley doe...

one-shot-wonder
10-13-2011, 09:00 PM
You can fill the freezer full of some great eats and do your part for wildlife management. Saw 18 whitetail does on Monday and only 3 muley does. This is in an area that historically had zero whitetails 20 years ago.

You hit the nail on the head...... I am sure anybody in the interior of BC that has hunted for the past couple decades has experienced a huge influx of WT's ......sure the MD are doing well in many parts of the province as well but something has to give. The increase of Whitetails WILL come at the expense of Mule deer.
Taking a WT doe is following a good management practise. Shooting a WT doe in a traditional Mule deer area (especially winter range, ie. close to urban area) even better!

Fisher-Dude
10-13-2011, 09:26 PM
The doe I got yesterday was close to 5300 ft in elevation. I never used to see ANY WTs up there 20 or 30 years ago, now that's all I see on that mountain.

I was speaking with the ecosystems bio in Vernon, and he theorized that the right-of-way seeding we used to do in the 1980s may have provided a "feed path" up into the high country that led the WTs into the mule deer country. Seems reasonable that an animal would browse its way up through clover and timothy and find itself in the high country.

604redneck
10-13-2011, 11:32 PM
I guess some people would rather have antlers on the wall? I'll have 1 of each....my dogs love the meat from the bucks in rut feeds them for quite a while