PDA

View Full Version : Any of you guys bowfish? i sure do!

Wildman Expedtions
10-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Just wondering if there is some guys in the okanagan valley that bowfishes! i got into it this year and it is a hoot! share you stories and tales here!

This is a vid of this spring with my friend and I was a blast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hti8OTd3P68&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

treeclimber
10-09-2011, 09:06 PM
I love it! It's a great way to spend a day In the summer, shoot and release a bunch of carp. It's tricky to aim well beneath your target but it's a blast

Amphibious
10-10-2011, 06:48 AM
great vid! i've been spearfishing the Okanagan for the last 5 or 6 years. it's a lot like bowfishing, but you have to get in the water with them, and the ranges are much shorter.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?67061-Carpocalypse-Now!

Grantmac
10-10-2011, 06:01 PM
I'd love to try it thats for sure!

jetboat jim
10-10-2011, 06:37 PM
hope you dont consider yourself a "hunter" from what i see in the vid it seems like your waisting the fish......not the message you want to send to the general public, i dont want them all thinking I'm a butcher like you.

and it hardly looks sporting shooting fish at your feet.

Wildman Expedtions
10-10-2011, 07:03 PM
No we grinded them up in the chipper for fertalizer garden turned out great this year, They are an invasive fish so Don't go critisizing me before you get the facts straight. I contacted fisheries about it and they asked me to take as make carp as i can, as they are invasive so i did my part. As for not being a challenge? this was during the spawn after this i was shooting off a wharf 20ft down then having to aim under the refraction of the water, You can try it , it's not simple and easy. bowfishing ain't for everyone -cheers

knockturnal
10-10-2011, 08:53 PM
hope you dont consider yourself a "hunter" from what i see in the vid it seems like your waisting the fish......not the message you want to send to the general public, i dont want them all thinking I'm a butcher like you.

First of all, get it out of your head that it's hunting. It's not. It's fishing. You need a fishing license, not a hunting license. Second, carp are a very invasive species. They shouldn't be in our water systems. They do more harm then good. They have no predators other then the few people that target them with a spear or a bow. We could go into the lakes around here and shoot 50 a day each day all year and not have a dent on their population. One carp will lay 250-300000 eggs per spawn and some spawn more then once a year. Call him a butcher all you want. He's only trying to help out our Eco system. I also partake in the "slaughter". It's a blast. I think more of us need to get into it! It's a great way to kill a late spring day. And who cares about the general public. The least they could do is educate themselves before they call the cops.

coconut54
10-11-2011, 04:25 AM
just out of curiosity can you bowfish all year round? and great video.

huntwriter
10-11-2011, 05:50 AM
Great video and good on you for reducing this invasive species. Bowfishing is great fun and good target practice. Keep it up.

Glenny
10-11-2011, 06:35 AM
Can you eatem?

knockturnal
10-11-2011, 06:44 AM
You can. I personally don't like the taste. And yes, you can bowfish all year. Unless you are in region 1. Then there is no bowfishing allowed at any time of year.

Amphibious
10-11-2011, 07:43 AM
And who cares about the general public. The least they could do is educate themselves before they call the cops.

i've walked right by the dolphins on a sunday, in my wetsuit with 60lbs of carp over my shoulder. most of the general publics wants a picture, and after a 30sec talk on why carp are bad, says good job.

that being said, ALWAYS have a copy of the regs with you. have had the cops called more then once. being as it's kelowna, i also bring a mouth guard ;)

knockturnal
10-11-2011, 09:14 AM
I used to spear fish as a kid on Vancouver island. Just free diving off the local beaches. It would be fun to try it out again in fresh water

500grhollowpoint
10-11-2011, 09:27 AM
What a bunch of hippie retarts, ignore them. Looks like fun, not sure how it's different than gopher or yotee hunting.

Wildman Expedtions
10-11-2011, 05:44 PM
As long as there is no ice then yea!, well i guess you could even cut a hole in the ice and get em. I go for squa fish on the river sometimes carp are in right now too

Wildman Expedtions
10-11-2011, 05:53 PM
well you have to deal with the refraction of the water so it' not quite the same as gopher or yotee's. Definatly a good way to top up your skills with a bow and arrow in the off season!

MOOSE MILK
10-11-2011, 06:43 PM
I used to do it back in the 6o's, the Windsor Bowmen used to have carp derbies and about 100 participants used to shoot carp for the whole weekend it was a blast. As long as the fish was still kicking the Jewish community from across the river on the US side came over and bought everything that we could provide. The dead ones were used for fertilizer. There would litterly be TONS shot. I won the derby with a 50 lb.+ carp that pulled me off my feet on the slick muddy bottom.

TCW2005
06-30-2018, 01:51 PM
I would love to try this i won a bowfishing bow from Diamond archery . I want to try it out . Need help if someone can point out where to go ??

Wild one
06-30-2018, 01:54 PM
I would love to try this i won a bowfishing bow from Diamond archery . I want to try it out . Need help if someone can point out where to go ??

Your location might help

TCW2005
07-05-2018, 08:18 PM
I live in Kamloops b.c.

Gateholio
07-05-2018, 08:55 PM
Damn, when I saw this thread I was sure Kyle Klassen was drunk again! :)

Brez
07-05-2018, 09:01 PM

JJ There is a saying..." It's best to keep one's mouth shut and let people think you are stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." oh and I almost forgot...."A closed mouth gathers no feet".
All the other nicer replies have been said above.

montec assassin
07-05-2018, 10:21 PM
TCW2005: I haven't had any success with exactly where to bowfish in Kamloops, I've been told when the fields flood over, just past cinnamon ridge compost site towards tranquille farms, the carp come in. I've been in there once or twice as a kid (25 years ago) without seeing any but I have friends who have bow fished out there. It seems to be the place. My only bow fishing experience in Kamloops has been in the slough around McArthur Island (I don't suggest it). Again, 25 years ago, I lived right down the street. I'd walk down there and pull a couple of lunkers out of there. Oh, the backlash. The people walking around the Island would yell..."leave the beavers alone!" "this isn't a happy hunting ground!". I agree, it was stupid, but at the time it was great. The cops even came by one time, my brother and I (probably 16 and 14 at the time) were down at the waters edge with our compound bows in hand. "how's it going?" they asked. "Great!" I replied. "Any luck?" "yeah, I've shot 2 already" i said. "alright, see ya later" they said and peddled off.

Just a fun childhood memory I thought I'd share. Again, there are better places to bowfish than a very public, city park.

lip_ripper00
07-05-2018, 11:15 PM
Damn, when I saw this thread I was sure Kyle Klassen was drunk again! :)

What do you mean “again”? ��