PDA

View Full Version : Hunting w/ Two Firearms

braydon84
10-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been answered before - I tried looking on both here and google I swear! :)

I am going grouse hunting this week but had a quick question about having a second firearm mainly for cougar / bear defense. Is it legal to say, hunt with both a .22 and carry a 12 gauge as well?

If this has been answered please direct me to the thread!

Your help is much appreciated, thanks.

Jagermeister
10-09-2011, 06:51 PM
I suppose that you could pack another firearm, there is no law against it as far as I know. I sort of can see the logic with the .22 and you encounter many cougar and bear during the course of the day. If you were to be attacked by either, by the time you dropped the .22 and took up the 12ga. either would be upon you, The you would be forced to haul out your Bowie knife to fend off the attack. What?? You don't have Bowie knife?
My brother-in-law would pack a 12ga defender as backup when we were out moose hunting. I would tell him to leave it at home, he did not need it but he insisted. Funny thing, the other gun he was packing was a 300WM for the moose. I always told him that by the time that he got the shotgun off his back, the grizzly would be licking his ass. I guess he had no confidence in the rifle or perhaps himself.
The only time that a backup may be required is when you are bow hunting bears, some people pack a shotgun then.

new hunter
10-09-2011, 06:57 PM
If your packing a 12g , what do you need the .22 for ? I've taken most of my small game {ruffed grouse and rabbits } with a 12 throwing #8 up to #4 with no problems , pack the right choke and you should be just fine .

Mykos
10-09-2011, 07:30 PM
It's legal, but would be a hassle I'd think. A more practical approach would be a combination gun.

elkdom
10-09-2011, 07:48 PM
you can pack as many long guns as you wish when afoot,

but just make damn sure your are carrying them in a gun safe !

hoho
10-09-2011, 08:03 PM
I've hunting with my buddy a combination gun 3030/16g for many times,and i liked it so much.You can shoot moose,deer,bear.......with the 3030,and the 16g is going to take care the Grouse ....just awesome.

.330 Dakota
10-09-2011, 08:09 PM
This is easy, hunt grouse with a 338

new trigger
10-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Don't know for sure cause I took my core about14 years ago, but sat through the core as my wife took it last month and was no talk or suggestion that you can carry only one rifle at a time.
Not knowing what to expect to see, on my first few grouse hunt I would hike with my .22 slung over my back and walk with my 20 g. pump.
90% of all the birds I saw were in range for the shot gun, and found I never used the 22 much. Now I leave it in the truck.

fireguy
10-13-2011, 06:14 PM
I got a funny look a couple weeks ago when I was backpacking into an area and ran into a couple other guys and I had both a rifle and my crossbow with me. I'm trying to get as much as I can this year with my crossbow but on the other hand didn't want to pass up an oportunity on either a big mulie or an elk if I couldn't get within range.
I was also testing out my rig for goats and wanted to see how it felt with it on my back all day long hiking up into some tough country.

dakoda62
10-13-2011, 06:19 PM
I think the only restrictions applies to migratory birds. You can have 2 shotguns but one has to be locked or disassemled I think.

SimilkameenSlayer
10-14-2011, 02:30 PM
tried this idea for half an hour this season, did not like it, to cumbersome and it compromised speed on the aim.

bearhunter338-06
10-14-2011, 02:40 PM
I believe you can hunt with all the firearms you can carry, as long as only one is loaded. So if that bear or cougar comes at you when lining up that grouse with your 22 I think you'll be screwed anyways.

Cookie-kid
10-14-2011, 02:46 PM
why not just carry the 12g with birdshot ready to go, followed by a couple slugs? chances are, you'll get the grouse in 1 shot, if a cougar or bear come up on you, I think it'd be a natural reaction to do your best to fire as many rounds as you can on your assailant. Birdshot will just piss them off, but the bang might just be enough to make them think twice, at least long enough for you to pump in your second round (slug). no?

30-06 man
10-14-2011, 03:41 PM
We have a 30-30 20 gauge. 30-30 on the top 20 gauge on the bottom. i love it for grouse and if happen to stubmle apon a deer or bear or couger etc. at least you've got somthing bigger on top.

lovemywinchester
10-14-2011, 04:21 PM
I tried carrying two guns this year a few times. I had my 280 on my back for a buck and my 22 in my hand for grouse. It is cumbersome and not much fun. I ended up just carrying the 280 and took two grouse with it. Even if you miss the noise will give them a heart attack.