PDA

View Full Version : grouse

earlgould
10-09-2011, 06:11 PM
went grouse hunting yesturday and not a dam thing went down mac blo logging road in squamish is there a better spot to get these little birds?

new hunter
10-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Its been kind of a shit year for them in the valley , some of the roads I hunted last year that were golden have been shit this year . Just keep plugging away.

MattTse
10-09-2011, 07:09 PM
was just before princeton got my 5. was going for deer, but them birds sure are tasty, so that made up for the lack of deer

Mykos
10-09-2011, 07:27 PM
I went for grouse today on the Island and got skunked. I saw one on the road on the way in (in a no shooting area), but nothing once I got walking.

Morel
10-09-2011, 07:51 PM
In two trips to the Squamish area I walked a total of about 12k each trip (24k total; 1300m in elevation). I got one grouse but missed the other (2-3) that flushed after the first shot. The only other grouse I saw was on the highway heading into the FSR (no hunting). This is my first hunting season so I don't have any idea if this is typical. Not seeing a bird is frustrating but they are out there - in my very limited experience it just took a lot of walking to find them. Hay, even without getting a grouse, hopefully you enjoyed the great hiking in spectacular country - yes, I am new to BC and drank the cool-aid! The tips I got from some of the HBC members in my posts in the "Upland Game" threads about grouse habitat seem to be right on - you might want to have a look and see if the places you tried fit the description.

Good luck!:)

NorthShoreX
10-09-2011, 08:01 PM
I saw a couple of Blues (probably Sooty) just outside Whistler, up high in the hills. The male one was massive.