PDA

View Full Version : Goose help

keoke
10-09-2011, 03:19 PM
I hunt a large corn field and my blind is marked with red. It is a full wrap blind with a top. I have 24 shell decoys that I have set up in various patterns and I am usually set up for ducks too. I have tried calling a lot, give a few clucks, no calling, mojo on, mojo off.

In three seasons 2 geese, what am I doing wrong? The goose traffic is good, i get them to check things out but never come in hot. How would you set up this field?

Crazy_Farmer
10-09-2011, 03:25 PM
First, if you wanna kill a goose leave the robo at home. Kill your ducks early but as soon as geese start to fly take it right down.

Next is this field ever holding birds? Do you see geese sitting and eating in the field or is it strictly a traffic field (birds flying over from roost to a different field)

Most cases if you're running traffic on them it requires a lot if calling or flagging to get them off their scheduled flight plan.

And maybe a picture of the blind could help, a large blind with a roof could throw a helluva shadow or even the dark zone below the roof could scare geese off real quick. They'd pick that blind off the fenceline if it sticks out of place. Probably fine for ducks but not the slowing moving prying eyes of geese.

If it was me, depending how far away you are from that barn and house I'd stick to the north side and find the absolute best hide in the taller brush or grass, away from the dyke, in laydown blinds shells out front 20 yards away from you, call when they're further away, but not too much when they're right over top or close enough to pick your location up

keoke
10-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the tips and yes I have exclusive rights to the field ;)

Crazy_Farmer
10-09-2011, 05:24 PM
No problem, geese dont always like to land or go near a high elevation like a dyke. whereas they would fly around alot lower across the corn fields, if you're near a fenceline if they want to circle they wouldnt need to gain 10 yards in elevation to swing around the dyke, they could swing and stay the same low height.