PDA

View Full Version : 2011 limited entry bull down..in a swamp took 6hrs for bro and i to drag out..

1 shot 1 kill
10-09-2011, 11:56 AM
went hunting in new area to us bro and I both had seperate draws for any bull. we had been reseaching the area with google maps etc looking for places to hunt, as we heard there was limited access up there. 7-02..it is true limited access haha, but not to worry we had the quads to get us around and maps of swapms etc to hike into and try calling around. we got there tuesday and hunted to no avail learning the country a bit. heard 1 bull grunting just at dark in a swamp. we went back again wednesday morning and tried to gain access inot the swamp, tuff go but we got in there..saw nothing, tried some calling no responses so we left to check another old rd to see if we could find some other swamps.
we saw 1 bull that evening but gone way to fast for a shot...such is hunting. we went back to the same area we were at on tuesday when we heard that bull grunting, had another look around and heard him grunting again just after day break. we tried to call him up out of the swamp but he went quiet, so we waited an hr then made our way in there all quiet like. it was a large swamp so once we hit the edge and could see we split, bro to the left, I went to the right. I made my way slowely along the tree line and was stopping every few feet to check the edges of the swamp, and then I saw what looked like the hind end of a moose about 80 yards off to my right right at the tree line, scope up..sure enough..moose hide...now what is it?? all i could see was the hind end. I looked back to see if I could see bro, but couldnt so I sat real still as the moose was standing with a small patch of alders in front of his rib cage covering his head. I stood there for what felt like an hour waiting him out as he just wasnt moving. then a head shake..I could now see it was a bull, but had no idea just how big he was. I sat waiting some more which was very painful. just sitting still not moving with a bull in front of me only 80 yards off, but I had no shot ( unless i wanted to rump him! which would have been so wrong to do!!!)
I sat there for another 2-3 minutes hoping he would turn my way. 2 steps forward he was gone for good into the timber!! then lady luck on my side he turned right around and came out from behind the alders and I could see a larger set of antlers swinging out from the brush and was still rifle up ready to fire! he turned, went almost broadside and wham 1 shot from the browning x-bolt 7mag he buckled...staggered and hind legs went out from under him. head and chest still up I put 1 more for good measure into his neck and he dropped right there! I walked up and was excited to see how big he really was. what a day..it was 11:30am.
we took a quick break, then begin getting him quatered, with hide on as we had to drag him across the bog with angle deep water and wanted to keep the meat clean. this took 6hrs to get him across the bog. as it was approaching dark we made camp there, left the meat in the trees away from the flies and covered with some moss. we got up the next morning and finished getting him out of that swamp. and loaded him up and headed off to the other camp witht the truck, and got him back home later that afternoon and hung him up as it was just to warm to stay and keep hunting. he dressed out 700lbs. we deboned him and ended up with just shy of 400 lbs.
now that he is cooling off we have to figure out when we can get back there to look for bro's moose, as he still has a draw up there, sadly our holidays are over this weekend and it may have to be a short trip next weekend right after work friday to sunday night as it is a 5hr drive for us to get there.
but we have an idea where another 1 might be hiding as this guy I got has 2 broken tines, same one on both sides..and his ears were tore right up. upon skinning we found several bruises on him as well, and since he had no cows around we can only guess he was on the losing end of the fight!!
we r gonna go back and try to fing the guy who beat him up next!!
hopefully bro will have good luck on his side as well next weekend...cheers everyone, it has been a good season, a 4 point in sept, bull this week, and who knows i might even get bored and go looking for my whitetail now...sorry about the no field pictures!! camera was back at the truck, and so was my I-phone, so this pic will have to do, as you can see the quarters are large, I am 5'9 and 205lbs and the make me look tiny!! haha

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2011-10-07_14_57_59.jpg

Allen50
10-09-2011, 11:59 AM
nice bull should fill the freazerfor the winter,, you never know what you find in a new area, and it worked for you, congrats,,

moose2
10-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Great job on a well deserved bull. They seem to have the habit of falling in an ugly spot. lol
Mike

fearnodeer
10-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Job well done, congrads sounds like a great trip.

Jagermeister
10-10-2011, 02:23 PM
WOW! Looking at the length of those tines, especially the brow tine, I would venture to guess that one is a senior.
I bagged one like that years ago, long tines.
I had a butcher acquaintence that was cutting it up for me. We were boning out the shoulder and the blade had a waxy yellow colour.
I asked, "Rod, how old do you think this animal is?"
His reply, "Old, I have never cut one up with that bone colour before."
He then smacked the shoulder blade with his knife and the sound was rather hollow.
In the end, I gave the meat away to that game farm that used to exist south of Quesnel years ago.
Reason, when cooking the hamburger, the beef fat that was added would render down exposing with little white eggs. Decided then that the meat was not fit for human consumption.
The owner of the game farm was quite happy though.

M.Dean
10-10-2011, 02:34 PM
When you get right down to it, what would you sooner be doing, packing out Moose quarters, tripping on logs and sinking up to your knees in a swamp, or still be fighting off bug's and other hunters, trying to find one??? You guys worked hard for that Bull, and I'll bet it'll taste Dam Fine!!! Congrats on a Great Hunt!!!

kennyj
10-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Nice moose and good story. I hope your brother is sucessfull.
kenny

ELK Seeker
10-10-2011, 11:33 PM
Great lookin donkey, hope your brother bags another one.

Spy
10-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Great story! Well done!Helped a couple guys drag Moose out LOL they always die in difficult to get to spots!

Farmer
10-11-2011, 09:30 AM
When you get right down to it, what would you sooner be doing, packing out Moose quarters, tripping on logs and sinking up to your knees in a swamp, or still be fighting off bug's and other hunters, trying to find one??? You guys worked hard for that Bull, and I'll bet it'll taste Dam Fine!!! Congrats on a Great Hunt!!!

X 2. Work because of a successful hunt is something to be looked forward to (and complained about after)
Congrats on a nice bull.

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
10-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Really nice moose.