PDA

View Full Version : First Elk

DeDutch
10-08-2011, 09:20 PM
I am pretty new to this site, but I have been hunting for a few years now. Anyhow this year I was out looking for elk somewhere in northern BC, Day 1 I messed around prety high up in the mountians and heard maybe some bugles but it was tough to tell if it was actually elk with all the wind. I did find lots of elk sign in the area.....but after checking the direction of the prints, it was soon evident that all the elk prints from 4 different roads were headed in the same rough direction.....up and over the mountain.

Before I get too far I should mention that on this hunt I was hunting solo, and had failed to kill an elk thus far in my hunting career. Yes I had bugled in a 3 point and a 6 point in to 50 feet and missed them in Saskatchewan(a 2 years back) and last year I woke up on the first day of the hunt to a bull not even 200 yards from my camp.....I never did find my binos never mind bullets in time to see if he was legal never mind shoot him, later that hunt I bugled in a spike bull, failed to convince a larger bull to come out of the willow patch he was hanging out in, and a day later moved in on a bull who was bedded in an old beaver flood after hearing him bugle but well that one was mostly due to impatience.....I guess even bull elk don't always like yappy women(cows)....
With that many missed opportunities and looking at these fresh elk tracks in front of me, I decided that I really didn't need an elk that badly to make me climb all the way up that mountain.

Day 2, I woke up early and started hinking in towards the river bottom where I played with some bulls last year. It was a cloudy morning with a steady drizzle that really just reminded me of fall coho fishing but I was alreeady a few km from the truck and also wet, so I went on following the river bottom. After cow calling and bugling through 3 km of river bottom I decided to head back towards the truck, haveing yet to hear a response. I hiked back to within 3 km from my truck when the meanest sounding bugle I had yet heard echoed from only ~400yds ahead. After calming down I decided that since A) he sounded PISSED at something, and B) it wasn't me he was pissed at that I would sneak though the bottom to the edge of a big sandbar 150yds ahead. After peaking out from the edge of the willows, my heart did the old flip flop thing as I began counting .....cows I got al the way up to seven when I remembered......I don't want a cow, where the heck is that bull? Then I saw him standing about 150 yards away and staring down something on the far bank. The cows began milling around and he turned to settle them down and I counted on each side and then ....that last legal sticker point. Still in a semicrouch I settled the rifle and fired.....the bull gave a quick shake and turned to face the far bank. A few seconds later he turned broadside again I fired and this time he staggered and ran 50 feet and bedded down. Totally pumped I trotted out onto the sandbar and ran towards him, getting to about 50 feet, he turned and looked at me head held high....and I have never had so much respect for an animal but also quickly decided that he was far from dead. So i muttered sorry and chambered one last round and slowly pulled the trigger. The bull jumped up and began running, making it roughly 200 feet before collapsing. Then the reall work began as I had to butcher and backpack this old warrior by myself the roughly 2 km to get back to my truck....9 hours later I was done with all the meat and antlers in the back of my truck.3696

coach
10-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Great story! Sounds like a bunch of lessons learned really paid off. That's an old warrior for sure. Would have been interesting to see him in his prime. Huge congratulations. Welcome to the site and thanks for posting.

deer nut
10-08-2011, 09:30 PM
AWESOME!!! Great story & experience! Very nice bull!! I am not up for hunting elk solo - good on ya!!

The Silent Stalker
10-09-2011, 01:06 AM
Nice work! I was hunting Elk last week, and was hoping I had it in me to walk the couple of km's with one on my own. Im going back. Thanks for the story and pics.

ianwuzhere
10-09-2011, 02:20 AM
Good Job! Sounds like an awesome day...
Hard work pays off. Looks like he was going to be a 5 point then got the middle sticker- woop woop for you hehe...
Thanx for the post!

moose2
10-09-2011, 05:18 AM
great looking elk congratulations
Mike

ydouask
10-09-2011, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the story and picture... always something to learn from every experience, eh?

d6dan
10-09-2011, 06:52 AM
Good bull!. Your persistance has paid off for you..Congrats..

kennyj
10-09-2011, 07:18 AM
Congratulations on a great bull. Lots of character on that one. Awesome first bull, and great story.
kenny

Call of the Wild
10-09-2011, 07:28 AM
Good job on a very nice bull. A solo pack out like that is amazing, good for you.

WaldoFive
10-09-2011, 07:36 AM
Good job on a very nice bull.

TIKKA TIGER
10-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Congrats on a great bull... Awesome job. Just curious... 3 shots to drop him... What caliber of rifle you shooting and where did the bullets hit? Once again, nice bull and a great story.

Ruger4
10-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Awesome bull Dutchy congrats !!!!!!!

TronsonStalker
10-09-2011, 08:20 AM
DD: i appreciate what you said about respect for these animals. You really are the beneficiary of this magnificent animal.
Enjoy the meat, there ain't many folks in the world that get to enjoy the best meat you can eat!!! Good job, and good hard
work payed off for ya!!

kayjayess
10-09-2011, 08:30 AM
Congrats on harvesting an incredible bull and thanks for the awesome story

whitetailsheds
10-09-2011, 09:12 AM
GREAT read DeDutch! Thanks for posting a great bull!

spear
10-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Awesome story, solo elk hunt demands soem respect, nice work, OLD looking bull

mark
10-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Very nice looking bull!
I find the harder you work for that meat, the more you appreciate each bite.

matt420
10-09-2011, 10:09 AM
nice elk congrats, and the solo pack out man thats insane with an elk, good job!!!

kootenayelkslayer
10-09-2011, 10:14 AM
Nice work! That's a cool lookin' bull. Not easy to whack a herd bull.

JDR
10-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Cool looking bull, congrats on your first!

Bobfl
10-09-2011, 12:58 PM
I hunted solo for 4 yrs elk hunting and will not do it again. you need a backup when you are gutting it for bears and it is alot of work for yourself. I am now building an elk carrier which folds down and you can carry on your back like a pack frame.
very nice bull, congrats

DeDutch
10-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the congratulations, shot placement was in the vitals, I could only find little peices from the heart, the lungs were pretty chewed up and a piece of bone sliced the liver pretty well in half. I was using my Husqavarna 7mm rem mag with 175 grain accubond. As for solo hunts, I enjoy hunting and will go out whether there is someone to go with or not.....I always pack bear spray, and regularily check in with my SPOT. last years moose was 46" accross(ft Nelson) and took 13 hours solo, I did an archery moose in saskatchewan and that was also a solo effort, 5 km in the bush but can't beat the rush of calling in a bull and arrowing it from 10 feet!

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
10-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Good story. Very nice elk.

10-09-2011, 07:09 PM
now thats a different looking bull, very cool character on the tops

Congrats to you on your success and hard work.

CT

Rattler
10-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Congrats on your first bull. Solo elk is quite the achievement, good on you...

redthorn
10-10-2011, 10:46 AM
I saw this bull up close and he is an OLD BULL. Quite worn on the teeth, and even though he is definetly regressed a lot, still has Gobs of Mass. Put a tape around the tines just back of the dagger tine, and post that up. Just thick.

375 ultramag
10-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Way to go!!!! never give up. Great story, Nice bull. Sometimes going on your own ain't so bad. Congrats