PDA

View Full Version : Hunting In The Fraser Valley,My First Post

Chilliwack
10-08-2011, 07:31 PM
This will be my fist post here, long time reader but mostly post fishing reports on a fishing web site. I cut my teeth duck hunting in Cowichan Bay with Dennis Gaunt who passed away a few years ago. Some of you may have known him. I was raised in Westholme and had great hunts there including grouse and deer. Here is my report from Chilliwack BC

Boy the year slips by as today time to put the rod away and head to the field for some goose and duck hunting.

Selling corn this year gave me the opportunity to hunt in the last field we were getting the corn from. The past week a good number of geese were feeding in the field so before first light I made the 10 minute walk to the field, laden down with 13 goose decoys, shells and camera.

I positioned the decoys in a V formation about 35 yards from my natural blind of corn stalks.

I watched the first glimpse of a new day as the sky brightened over Mt Cheam, Lady Peak, Mt Slesse and the surrounding hills. I snap some pictures including with the first rays of sunlight hitting the decoys.

The sky is void of birds and no sound of geese signaling their arrival. I snap a few more pictures and as feeling hungry as the early double double and bagel were not enough to keep the hunger pains away.

I grab a cob of corn from a stalk and chew on it. I have never done that before and it was not too bad, especially when hungry. ???

The first birds that take a look at the V formation is a flock of mallards, one tumbles out of 3 shots, I was using BB in the gun for geese so that may have been the problem.

I retrieve the drake mallard and settle into the blind, a few geese start to show but are heading to other fields.

Finally I hear more cackling, louder too, my pulse quickens as I see two formations coming from the west, there wings are cupping into the wind now coming from the east. I ready the gun. The first flock is a little too far out as they settle 20 yards or so from the decoys. The next flock is closer, but if only I was down the corn row a few yards more I would have had a great chance. I wait hoping they will swing into the decoys but I see they are going towards the first flock.

I jump up and run towards the birds as their feet have kicked out, they are a little far but in range, the gun barks three time but no geese fall ground ward. I am a bit disappointed but I hope for another chance.

My next chance however is a flock of ducks again. I am talking on the cell phone and tell Gary will be right back, the birds are right in the sun but one shot yields one hen. Nothing happens for a while except a few geese heading elsewhere.
Then a flock of 3 mallards come for a boo but appear to leave, I lose sight in the mountains green backdrop. I had pumped out the BB load and slipped in some #2. All of a sudden the birds appear to my right, in range, shot one drops a bird, I swing to the next duck a fast climbing drake , he too tumbles, one bird remaining. That drake is still in range, I give him the lead don't ask me how much as 55 years of experience kicks in and I complete the hat trick.

I find two birds easily but can not locate the third, I think it is in the corn rows, I search for 15 minutes, back and forth, back and forth. One should have a dog I know as I think back to the only hunting dog I had in my youth, my faithful dog Queenie who was a great grouse and duck dog. She was small in stature but had a nose and heart that was hard to beat.

I then think maybe the first bird to fall was on the edge of the corn, that I had retrieved. I then look in the ploughed part of the field and sure enough there was the bird, I can now call it a hat trick. Just now the Leaf's Phil Kessell just got the hat trick too, go Leafs go.

The next birds to appear are geese that pass over in range but their silence is their savior as I see them too late, they donot decoy, most likely saw me moving around.

That was the end of the action for opening day for 2011, 5 plump corn fed mallards was most satisfying and easier to pick than geese. I had to make 2 trips to the Leaf Mobile as 15 more pounds than coming in was just too much for this old time duck hunter.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/Themes/babylon/images/icons/modify_inline.gif

lorneparker1
10-08-2011, 08:50 PM
great story! and nice shoot!

ElectricDyck
10-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Great writing, time for some pics.

Chilliwack
10-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Will have to learn how, never took the time to learn but must, I got a few of the hunt too.

Sako 75
10-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Hey Chilliwack, I think I know who you are. When you mention Leaf Mobile that was first clue. Second clue is you post a lot on one most B.C popular fishing website. LOL

nano
10-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Nice shooting!

Chilliwack
10-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Thanks all, glad you enjoyed the story. I have been busy fishing and had not gone out since opening day. In my fishing travels I found a sweet corn field loaded with ducks so retired the rod for this afternoon.

Got out late as was visiting with the farmer where I shoot. I just take a rob duck and as I walk to the hiding spot the field is loaded. Most of the birds leave and as there is about 30 minures left to hunt and the birds have fed I thought would they come back. For a while the sky was empty but I then had one bird come over and a single shot brought the drake down.

Then a flock of about 15 are fooled by the robo and I pick out one bird and it tumbles groundward, a juvenile hen. I should not boast but in my last 6 shots 6 birds have come to hand including opening day. Better not say too much or I could got 0 for a lot of ammo as it has happened to all of us. I decide to leave the field as only needed 2 birds for supper tomorrow night but tomoorow am should be a good shoot, have to leave the rod at home as duck hunting is now here, fishing can wait.

Tanya
10-19-2011, 06:09 AM
Send some of those mallards over to the Island will you! Actually we haven't really focused on them yet, just geese. Sounds like you've had a couple of great outings. Good shooting too!! Good luck.

T.

Chilliwack
10-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks Tanya, another nice shoot this am, picked up 8 mallards, fired about 14 shots but did get a triple on ducks 5, 6 and 7. #8 came on the next shot. Had 3 shots at some geese but drew a blank. http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/Smileys/default/huh.gif I had just picked up the geese decoys when they came in too.

I shot some video of the birds coming into the set after I had my limit, will post if it turns out. The birds started coming in 15 minutes before shooting time, huge flocks, was great to hear them talking as some are anxious to get down to feed on the corn. It would have been good to have someone else there doing the shooting as I could have filmed some good footage.

Foxton Gundogs
10-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Thanks Tanya, another nice shoot this am, picked up 8 mallards, fired about 14 shots but did get a triple on ducks 5, 6 and 7. #8 came on the next shot. Had 3 shots at some geese but drew a blank. http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/Smileys/default/huh.gif I had just picked up the geese decoys when they came in too.

I shot some video of the birds coming into the set after I had my limit, will post if it turns out. The birds started coming in 15 minutes before shooting time, huge flocks, was great to hear them talking as some are anxious to get down to feed on the corn. It would have been good to have someone else there doing the shooting as I could have filmed some good footage.

Pretty much a law isn't it lol

nano
10-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Once again, well done Chris!

Chilliwack
10-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Yes I got too impatient with my limit of ducks and wanted to go fishing. At least did not have to pick the geese along with the ducks.lol
Looking forward to another feast of ducks, we cook at 400 for 20 minutes then 250 for 2 hours, very tender then. With all the herbs from the garden, rich gravy made, then melt butter and add in some lemon, hard to beat. Did this make your mouth water?lol

Glad I shot this morning as the farmer is spreading what comes out of the cows so that field has gone for a ****.

nano
10-19-2011, 03:31 PM
How was the fishing out on the river?

Chilliwack
10-19-2011, 04:11 PM
How was the fishing out on the river?

Still getting some nice coho but I am having a rough year getting them on the Vedder, did well on the Thompson for jacks.

Off deer hunting tomorrow so hope some coho around when I get back but will be a banner year for ducks.

lorneparker1
10-19-2011, 04:43 PM
http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/gallery/page__module__images__section__img_ctrl__img__3193 93__file__med

Chilliwack
10-26-2011, 09:22 AM
http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/gallery/page__module__images__section__img_ctrl__img__3193 93__file__med

Soon my boy soon, do not want you to get too excited.lol

Chilliwack
10-28-2011, 07:17 AM
With a limit of mallards in the bag I decided to film a bit as they looked at the set, not the best as they kept seeing me move around.

At least you can hear them talking a bit over the wind noise. Sorry for the poor quality of filming.

http://youtu.be/ZDJQlIJu-zI

TIKA 300
10-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Cool vid,congrats on said ducks......

(coho and hunting season can be such a toss up,especially when you do the 4 letter word 5 days a week)