PDA

View Full Version : Falkniven Knife: tested and approved

Ambush
10-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Two good things; I won a Falkniven knife [provided by "hermit" and Vantage Point] in the HBC spring bear contest, plus I was able to get a moose to come to my treestand this past week.

I decided to put the Falkniven to the test and not baby it. I normally use two knives, one I keep off the hair and bones and one for abusing. This knife would do both jobs.

The synthetic, flat sided handle has a sure grip and makes controlling the blade easy, even inside the chest and pelvic cavities where you're going by feel. Slicing the hide was easy as opening a zipper and moose hide is tough. I cut all four legs off at the knees, going through the hair from the outside just to see how the edge would hold up. Passed that test to.

The blade is very stout and I didn't feel un-easy about prying through the knuckles on the knee joints. Same for taking off the head, I just cut around, then stuck the blade in twisting and levering to separate the joint. Still plenty sharp! Sharp enough that I never felt like I was using an under-edged blade while skinning the whole carcass off afterward.
And while the knife is not "shaving" sharp after one moose, I'm sure two minutes on the leather will make it that way again. One thing about this blade that is not common, any more, is the edge profile. It's rounded rather than machine hollow ground then straight beveled. That makes for a very easy blade to strop or stone by hand.

It's easy to see that the Falkniven is a tough, utilitarian, working knife with it's heavy blade and a grip built for the job, not for the eye, because that's exactly what it is.
One very good belt knife!

Thanks Vantage Point and HBC.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/0215.JPG

BimmerBob
10-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks for taking the time to provide your insight on the knife, I have heard many great things about Falkniven knives and bushcrafters really like the convex grind, tough for battoning and can get an extremely good edge for shaving sharp! I am wanting one!

killman
10-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks. Like I need another knife................We could use some more hunting stories with pics though.

ianwuzhere
10-08-2011, 02:39 PM
tree standin moose- sounds like a fun hunt...wut kind of edge setters or sharpeners u guys use/bring with ya on the hunt? i have a lil edge setter from henckles that puts a quick edge on my knives...
congrats on the moose..

The Hermit
10-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Glad you like the knife! For those interested it is a Fallkniven F1 (their best selling knife) and is the one issued to the Swedish Military as their survival knife. I love mine too and also can highly recommend the Fallkniven WM1 for a knife that will do all the above in a smaller format... I carry both. I also love my Fallkniven U2 pocket knife and bet it could field dress a deer no problem! In fact I think I'll try it just for giggles!

Nathaniel Poe
10-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Pretty cool you got to use your prize! Should be a yummy moose, too!