PDA

View Full Version : bino defogging

new hunter
10-07-2011, 08:58 PM
They used to sell this stuff called cat crap to prevent ski goggles from fogging up .
Does anyone know if theyre is a similar product for binoculars , or has anyone tried said cat crap on theyre binos .
I have a cheap pair of 12x50 bushnells that keep fogging up in the weather we've been having , they were less than $100 , so trying something weird won't be a big deal , its not like they're high end or anything .
Any suggestions would be great .

Gun Dog
10-07-2011, 09:09 PM
I've been skiing for a long time and have never heard of "cat crap". Any ski shop will have anti-fog cloths for a couple of dollars or you can use spit.

brad ferris
10-07-2011, 09:27 PM
I've tried it and it does help keep the outside of your glass from fogging up. But it also does blur the image slightly. Not an issue on goggles but searching for game at 12x is all together different. I found cat crap at high country sports in cranbrook. I suggest checking the granola sports stores.

Jagermeister
10-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Your bino's are not waterproof and you are chasing the rainbow if you think there is some magic elixer to prevent fogging in them. The bottom line is there is probably moisture inside and short of sending them away, nothing will change. You could try putting them in a bag with some rice and leaving them for a day or so, but I would not hold my breath. Your best bet is to get a new pair, just make sure the new ones are waterproof and preferably nitrogen filled.

Shooter
10-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Your bino's are not waterproof and you are chasing the rainbow if you think there is some magic elixer to prevent fogging in them. The bottom line is there is probably moisture inside and short of sending them away, nothing will change. You could try putting them in a bag with some rice and leaving them for a day or so, but I would not hold my breath. Your best bet is to get a new pair, just make sure the new ones are waterproof and preferably nitrogen filled.

To me it sounded like he meant the outside of the lenses were fogging up.

gibblewabble
10-08-2011, 12:05 AM
Any diving shop will have anti fog for a good price and if its inside your screwed. Every one of my Bushnells have had the seals go because they are crap. I was going to pick up some Vortex Vipers but am holding off because Im hoping next year I can afford a pair of Swarovskis

That should start the fire.

snowhunter
10-08-2011, 06:45 AM
www.sportmansguide.com (http://www.sportmansguide.com) have lots of very inexpensive, but waterproof binos.

3kills
10-08-2011, 06:56 AM
buddy of mine swears by shaving cream for fogging lenses and his dad is a optomatrist so he has tried everything else. he says just put it on wipe it around a bit them wipe it off and buff it clean with a cleaning cloth

new hunter
10-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Yes the fog is on the outside of the lenses , I think I'll stay away from cat crap for now for the distortion , hadn't thought of spit or heard of shaving cream , will have to give them a try .
Not to many dive shops here in the mountains , but I'll have to look one up next time I'm in Van .
I think next year I'll have to save up and buy some good glass , perhaps the old bushnells can live in the truck for sunday drives .
Thanks for the input

BimmerBob
10-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Usually things fog up when you bring them from a cold environment to a warm one so if you keep the bino's under the outside layer of clothing except when you are using them to scan you may be able to avoid the condensation problem. As others have mentioned, shaving cream leaves a slight soapy film that holds light fogging in check as well as any liquid soap and good old spit as long as you haven't been chewing on tobacco prior to the cleaning...

dedapair
10-08-2011, 10:34 PM
I've had the outside lenses on my Leicas fog up so the dollar value is not insurance against this. My nephew is an avid hockey player, he told me to take a small drop of liquid dish soap and apply it to the lense (a definate no-no if they're coated) and polish till clear. Presto....no more fogging, works like a charm and cheap too.