PDA

View Full Version : Which binos would you recommend?

rab89
10-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Hey guys,

I'm looking at picking up some relatively low priced binos.

I was just looking at the vortex talon's for $500
and the vortex diamondbacks for $300

the HD glass seems to be the only main difference, is this an important aspect in getting new binos?

I had planned on spending $500 but if I could get away with spending less, that would be ideal.

which of these would you suggest? if not either of these, what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Ross Buchanan

dog812
10-07-2011, 07:55 PM
I have the DB's in the 50's, i love them.. great warranty.

luckofthedraw
10-07-2011, 07:56 PM
I just spent $320 on nikon monarch lll's. For the price I couldn't find something to compare unless I jumped to a $500 category. I bought from wholesale, everywhere else was asking $80 more.

killman
10-07-2011, 08:02 PM
I bought the razors used them on one trip. They broke wasn't impressed. Seemed to run out if focus at any distance. I just sent them back for warr. I will let you know how good the warr is. Still warranty doesn't help that I don't have my new $1000 binos for hunting season....

Fisher-Dude
10-07-2011, 09:06 PM
I bought the razors used them on one trip. They broke wasn't impressed. Seemed to run out if focus at any distance. I just sent them back for warr. I will let you know how good the warr is. Still warranty doesn't help that I don't have my new $1000 binos for hunting season....

Where's Bow Walker?

I thought he touted over-the-counter replacement for Vortex? WTF?

Ry151
10-07-2011, 09:37 PM
I have the leupold cascades 10x42. They feel great in your hand and are extremely clear. the focus is super fast and its amazing what you can see in low light, you cand almost see in the dark with them. They were around the $500 range and i wouldnt trade them for anything

slednecksbrown
10-07-2011, 09:43 PM
I had some Steiner Predators for 8 years and lost them in the last 6 months. They were a great binoc but were a little heavy. I went to Hub sports in Abbotsford a couple weeks ago and I looked through every binoc in the store. The Nikons didn't work for me...made me strain my eyes, the Vortex didn't feel right and so on. I ended up trying the Leupold BX2 Cascade 8X42 and loved them. Everything is very crisp and bright and it has a wide field of view. They are light at 22.9oz and are waterproof. For $340 I was really impressed...I was going to spend $500-$700 but these were the best through my eyes. Bottom line is...I will NEVER order a pair of binoculars online. Every pair works different for every person and in my opinion you need to go outside with multiple pairs and compare. My buddy bought the Nikons and my eyes hurt after looking into them for 30 seconds. Just my $.02

Dirty Steve
10-08-2011, 08:10 AM
I just bought the Talon HD's, love them. I looked through the Diamondbacks and they hurt my eyes. Look through the two together and you will buy the Talons. I spent some time glassing with my buddies razors and couldn't tell any difference.
The factor that sealed the deal for me is the waranty.
First day I had them, opening weekend the lens cap popped off while alpine hiking, when I got home there is a little scratch on the lens, they will go back for a new pair at the end of the season. $460 haggle price at Grouse River

Greg B.
10-08-2011, 10:07 AM
I bought 10X56 Nikon Monarchs. These are not for everyone but here is the process I went through before purchasing.

1) If used for hunting they should be water proof and fog proof with all the latest lens coating for a good clear picture.

2) There were several statistics that I relied on including the following: power (6X, 8X, 10X etc.); objective lens size (40mm, 50mm, 56mm) and exit pupil (this is simply the objective less size divided by the power (56 divided by 10 = 5.6mm for the Nikons). The reason why this is important is that the pupil in your eye will expand to a maximum of about 7mm for a young guy. Us old guys are lucky to get 5mm or 6mm. In order for your eye to take advantage of the maximum amount of light a binocular will transmit you need something in this range for low light conditions. If you get an exit pupil of 9mm your pupil cannot expand to that size so it does nothing in terms of letting more light in. I got a 10X because my eyes are not as good as they once were. Of course these things are bigger and weigh more. For a good discussion of this check out the Zeiss web site.

3) Quality. Buy the best you can afford. Like you I was limited to $500.00 and didn't want to remortgage the house for a binocular made by one of the German big three. However I was also concerned about low light performance and they all look good at noon on a bright day. Look through a variety at closing time (hopefully low light) at the local gun shop. Product reviews are helpfull but one of the best practical not to technical descriptions of what to expect is in the marlinowners.com optics section of the forum. Title is One Dawg Optics Study Part 1. There is also a Part 2. The writer describes the distance and time of day that he could see deer using various scopes and binoculars. I didn't get a pair of Swaroski's but I did get performance that should meet my needs. Read what other people say and get one that works for you.

Greg B.

Bowzone_Mikey
10-08-2011, 10:13 AM
I like the Alpen line of Glass .... Nothing is gonna compare to a 2 grand pair of Ziess ... But best bang for my Buck has been Alpen for a long time .... Warrentee is good ... send then to California 2 weeks later had a new pair in my hands ... (without a dealer close by ... thats the best I couldve hoped for)

Big Bucks
10-08-2011, 10:34 AM
First off how much hunting are you going to be doing and what terrain ? If you are going to be hunting in the alpine alot i would hold off as long as you can and save as much money as possible and buy something in the Swaro or Leica class , When your classing all day day with crappy bino's your eyes take a beating and the difference between good bino's and alright bino's is night and day . I know we all have budgets but if it were me I would say that my bino's are my number one piece of equipment and I would focus all my money into that . Plus you will have them for life .

islandhunter
10-08-2011, 10:38 AM
I have a pair of bushnell legends, Been using them for a few years. Excellent binoculars for under $300.

tim3500
10-08-2011, 10:43 AM
I seen a pair of Ziess Diavari binos 10 x40s $600 Ebay I would have no problem with that deal if I didnt already have a pair

Remington721
10-08-2011, 09:08 PM
I have a pair of vortex Furys 10x42 and i love them, so far so good

willyqbc
10-08-2011, 09:34 PM
I bought my wife a set of Burris signature select 10X42 for her 3D shooting.....they retail for $600+ but you can find them online way cheaper than that. I have compared them directly with the nikons, luepolds, vortex ($300-$500 range) and they are far superior in my opinion, particularly in low light. My buddy has some $2000 leicas and after comparing we both agreed the Burris' were at the very least just as good and if we had to pick 1 it would be the burris'. When it's time for new glass for me they will definately be the signature selects.....most underated glass out there I think.

Just my opinion
Chris

Fisher-Dude
10-08-2011, 09:43 PM
First off how much hunting are you going to be doing and what terrain ? If you are going to be hunting in the alpine alot i would hold off as long as you can and save as much money as possible and buy something in the Swaro or Leica class , When your classing all day day with crappy bino's your eyes take a beating and the difference between good bino's and alright bino's is night and day . I know we all have budgets but if it were me I would say that my bino's are my number one piece of equipment and I would focus all my money into that . Plus you will have them for life .

Words of wisdom. Agree 100%.

Buy one pair of good binos that last your lifetime instead of wasting $500 every couple of years on complete shit. And the ONLY good binos are Leica, Swaro, and Zeiss, there are no others.

ianwuzhere
10-08-2011, 09:55 PM
i like my bushnell legends-not the best but not the worst..
i like the size of the 10x42's- look into getting bino buddies too- work great, keep binos tight on chest and dont flop around and comfortable.
-Ian

Weatherby Fan
10-08-2011, 11:03 PM

If you are going to be glassing alot as Big Bucks suggests,you should look at better quality binoculars,it may be wise to wait until you can afford a better pair,they will last a lifetime and you won't always be wanting something better.
I got a pair of used Leica 10x42s off ebay from a fellow in Nanaimo and they are incredible,you can glass all day long without any eyestrain,headaches,they are a pleasure to look through,I use them at work daily as well as for hunting.
If you have some patience and look on Ebay or Craigslist you can pick up a decent used pair at a reasonable price.
If there's any advice I can offer you - it's get good quality optics once,not half assed ones a few times,you will be much happier for the rest of your life !
WF

brian
10-08-2011, 11:40 PM
I just picked up a pair of vortex viper 6x32 from eagle outfitters in the states (they had them on sale). I haven't had them out in the field yet so I can't give a full report. But they feel good in the hands and are nice and compact. Both of which are valuable to me (I spend most of my time in the timber not on open slopes). I went with the lower magnification for two reasons. You can run with a smaller objective and still get decent light transmission. 2. I find them easier to hold steady and still get a decent look at things. So far I am happy with them.

Singleshotneeded
10-08-2011, 11:53 PM
Find the binos you want, try them out, and compare the price at Amazon and Ebay...

john-brennan
10-09-2011, 07:22 AM

I agree 100%, I went with Leica ultravids.

ianwuzhere
10-09-2011, 08:17 AM
has anyone ever tried binos where the eye pieces wrap around the sides of the eyes- ive only ever tried the normal flat eye pieces but sometimes wonder if the other eye pieces improve glassing with no glare?

Weatherby Fan
10-09-2011, 08:47 AM
has anyone ever tried binos where the eye pieces wrap around the sides of the eyes- ive only ever tried the normal flat eye pieces but sometimes wonder if the other eye pieces improve glassing with no glare?

My son has a pair or Kahles 10x42s and has those eyecups,I don't like them at all as they don't always sit straight and I find your moving them every so often,mind you he likes them so that's all that matters !
I don't see any benefit over the flat eyecups for myself.
WF

willyqbc
10-09-2011, 09:15 AM
And the ONLY good binos are Leica, Swaro, and Zeiss, there are no others.

Gotta respectfully disagree with you there fisherdude. I think that may have been true 10 - 20 years ago but I don't think it holds true today. It use to be the difference between $2000 glass and $500 glass was HUGE! But that gap has been steadily closing to where there is very little if any difference between SOME of the $500 glass and what the big 3 offer. One of the biggest keys is light transmission and even the less expensive bino's such as the signature selects I mentioned are acheiving the 90+% light transmission that used to only be acheived with the big 3. All in all I think that paying 400% more for binos that may or may not be 5% better .....just can't justify paying that much more for virtually the same performance.

Just my opinion
Chris

Big Bucks
10-09-2011, 10:15 AM
I agree that the light transmission of some of the lower priced bino's are alot better nowadays but the length of time that you can look through the glass without killing your eyes is what matters , this is why I was asking what kind of hunting he was doing and how much hunting he was doing . If your only going to go hunting once a year , road hunting at best and only looking through those binos for a minute or 2 then sure buy the 300-500 piece of glass , but if you are going to be alpine hunting for sheep or mules where your looking through your glass for a very long time , I mean hours a day ,everyday ,then save the money ,don't spend the extra cash on a really good scope for the gun that you should only be using once , or new pants or whatever , spend it on a really good pair of bino's that you will have forever , and like someone else said you won't always be wishing you had that better pair when your eyes take a beating . The only reason I tell you this is from past experience , I started hunting when i was young so I bought what I could afford at the time and I never really had someone to tell me otherwise , as I got older I kept upgrading my glass , and when I look back at it I wish I had just spent the money once on something great so that I wouldn't have to waste all of that money ,plus who knows what kind of damage I did to my eyes using bad bino's . All I can say is when you use good optics it's a world of difference . If I was a young guy doing it all over again I would have bought great glass from the get go .

10-09-2011, 10:27 AM
In the price range you're looking at I'd go with Leopold, probably the Mojave or Cascade series, 10x40(42)s.

Jagermeister
10-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Just make sure that whatever you buy is waterproof and fogproof. Large eyepiece lens make for good low light conditions.
Those folks that complain about eye strain probably don't have the interpupillary distance set correctly, in which case it wouldn't matter which brand of binoculars they're viewing through.

Trapper D
10-09-2011, 10:31 AM
ive had many different types of binos from cheapys to mid grade, i personnally have very good eyesight, as im always spotting with results. all of my previous sets of binos gave me eye strain ,after scouring landscape. my set that i use now , are bausch & lomb 7x36 elite . i paid $ 20 at a pawn shop in vancouver, and of all my hunting stuff , this to me was my best buy. my eyes dont get tired from these ones, its not always name brand or price range that gets you the best for your needs. imo, get the glasses that feel the best on your eyes, because if its not comfortable you might not put the time in to spot that one your looking for.

Big Bucks
10-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Hey Trapper D that sounds like a hell of a buy you got from the pawn shop . The only problem is most people don't get to try out bino's in the field for a long period of time before they buy them thats why a forum like this can be very valuble , there's so much experience on a website like this .

Fisher-Dude
10-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Most of us are aware that Leica, Swaro & Zeiss are the cream of the crop binos but there are others for ¼ the price that are in the same league or close to it.

But........they aren't. Cheap glass is cheap glass. Yeah, when you looked at the other end of the store in Wholesale Sports, the Chinese garbage looked pretty good compared to the Zeiss. But when you're out hunting at last light, and you can't count points or even see the animal, you'll shit your pants when I can and drop the booner beside you.

There is no comparison - and the guys like Big Bucks who have the Big 3 know how those binos and spotters totally change the way we hunt. We see more, we shoot more, and we feel better at the end of the day without headaches and eye twitches.

The marketplace is fickle - if Vortex China-Buzzards were as good as Leicas, the Leicas wouldn't be $2500 anymore. Leica, Swaro, and Zeiss would have to lower their prices to compete. Yet, the Kraut optics keep increasing in price, and that's because the cheap shit just doesn't match up to drive down the high-end prices. That's the ultimate test, and the cheap shit has failed to deliver.

Singleshotneeded
10-09-2011, 02:36 PM
If you're looking for binos in the Big 3 class, with very little difference, because you're hunting mountain sheep etc...
then there's good news and bad news. The bad news is you're NOT going to get your binos for $500 made by Vortex
or the Japs...the good news is another top level optics manufacturer, Meopta, makes a bino for Cabelas called the
Euro HD. They cost $1,000 instead of $2,500, or if you're patient you can wait for Cabelas to put them on sale.
These are elite quality European optics for 60% less than Swaro-Zeiss-Leica, at regular price, and less when on sale.

mulerider
10-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Just ordered Nikon Monarch 8X36 real tree. I decided on these instead of the 42`s because they are a little lighter and cheaper. With shipping from USA $250. I have been researching for under $300 binos for months and there is hardly a bad review on them. My second and third choices would have been Vortex diamondback and Leupold cascades which were over my budget at $350

KevinB
11-02-2011, 08:11 PM
I have a set of Pentax DCF SP's, and while they are probably not quite as bright as some of the big 3 offerings, they still hang on in low light after my scope craps out (Leupy VX-III), and WAY after my eyeballs crap out. They work quite well for me, for now.

killman
11-02-2011, 08:20 PM

Well my new set of Razors are on their way. Not really a great turn around time. You have to send them to Vortex Canada, they look at them and decide if they can fix them. If not they send then to Vortex US. They then decide if they can fix them. They decided that mine where "Damaged" at the hinge and that was causing the focus issue... Not sure how they got damaged.. The eye piece that came out must have been enough to replace. I must say all the people that I have dealt with have been very helpful and pleasant. They agreed to send them direct to me to save time.

Weatherby Fan
11-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Some very good midrange binos that I have had a chance to use for a day or two,

Minox HG which are produced by an Ex Leica tech,I have bought 2 pairs off ebay 10x43 - 330.00 and a 10x52 - 400.00 and well worth the money.

Cabelas Euro which are made by Meopta and or Meopta B1 seem to be very good for the money.

My son uses a pair of Kahles 10x42 which are also very good for the money,we got an used pair for 350.00 and they are well worth it.

In talking to Doug at Cameraland in New York who sells an amazing amount of optics he says the best bino after the big 3 is Meopta B1 hands down.

sako75
11-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Gotta respectfully disagree with you there fisherdude. I think that may have been true 10 - 20 years ago but I don't think it holds true today. It use to be the difference between $2000 glass and $500 glass was HUGE! But that gap has been steadily closing to where there is very little if any difference between SOME of the $500 glass and what the big 3 offer. One of the biggest keys is light transmission and even the less expensive bino's such as the signature selects I mentioned are acheiving the 90+% light transmission that used to only be acheived with the big 3. All in all I think that paying 400% more for binos that may or may not be 5% better .....just can't justify paying that much more for virtually the same performance.

Just my opinion
Chris

I agree I have a pair of 15-20 year old swaro. and was looking to get a lighter and less bulky pair and I must say for $500 I can get better than my swaro. so the saying buy good once and not have to buy again might not be true if you always want the best

Weatherby Fan
11-02-2011, 09:07 PM
I agree I have a pair of 15-20 year old swaro. and was looking to get a lighter and less bulky pair and I must say for $500 I can get better than my swaro. so the saying buy good once and not have to buy again might not be true if you always want the best

I will agree that binos have come along ways but I think (Leica,Swaro,Zeiss) as well as the best clairty in the world they also are the best constructed binos in the world with exceptional waranties that you rarely need,their products will last you a lifetime,plain and simple.
I think the OP has to look at how much he is going to be using his binos,if there just going to be sitting on the dash of the truck and used a cpl of weekends a year road hunting I would have trouble justifying spending that much money on binos also.

wiggy
11-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Second time in a week; Brunton Epochs; retail around 2ooo ouch can find em on ebay for 5 to 6 hundred; fantastic glass; 10.5x 43.5; at dusk and first light they compete with anything

wiggy
11-02-2011, 10:55 PM
forgot to mention; brunton uses sf prism glass; swaro still uses bak 4 do the research

The Hermit
11-02-2011, 11:22 PM
Words of wisdom. Agree 100%.

Buy one pair of good binos that last your lifetime instead of wasting $500 every couple of years on complete shit. And the ONLY good binos are KOWA, Leica, Swaro, and Zeiss, there are no others.

Fixed it for you... some guys just never learn!

snareman1234
11-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Fixed it for you... some guys just never learn!

We understand you like KOWA, but also understand you SELL them...I have nothing against KOWA or you, but it gets tiresome reading about how AWESOME KOWA is from the guy who wants to sell them to us, this is a public forum, hunters helping hunters, I'd rather not be subjected to your advertising on here, I know you are a sponsor, but let the non-biased guys talk about KOWA, b/c your input is clearly imbued with sales pitch.

The guys that talk about the top 3 talk about them for a reason, because they are the best. Maybe KOWA is just an undiscovered company, but let the unbiased owners talk.

Singleshotneeded
11-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Check Webyshops.com and Amazon for their pricing after you've figured out which binos you want, you'll save a lot!
Cabelas' Euro HD is equal to Swaro/Leica/Zeiss for a grand...

KevinB
11-04-2011, 12:01 PM
[QUOTE=Weatherby Fan;1009398]their products will last you a lifetime,plain and simple.
QUOTE]

That's probably true, although to play devil's advocate, do you want to buy a piece of gear, in a field where technology (and especially quality for the dollar) is advancing fairly rapidly, that you will be stuck with for 20, 30, 40 years? While technology eclipes what you're stuck with, for a much cheaper price point? It would seem that while the offerings of the Big 3 are probably tops, were in the past, and likely will be for at least the near future, the offerings of many mid-tier companies and what you can get for a third of the price has improved dramatically in the last 10 years or so, to the point that a nice Pentax, Kowa, Meopta, Celestron, etc is probably better than many of the average Big 3 offering from not that long ago. Most likely, in 10 years you'll be able to buy a $500 pair of binos that will be lighter, and optically superior to the $2,000 Swaros of today. Durability is something that you can only evaluate after you've owned the thing for a long time.

Not saying that spending top dollars on optics is a bad idea, just presenting the other side of the coin. I don't agree that the average $500 - $800 binocurlar of today is "complete shit". I'm sure some are, just as there are some of the models of the Big 3 that don't get top reviews. I think there are a good many very nice binoculars in that medium price range, and they're getting better all the time. Now, talking about those $30 compact folding roof prism tubes of floppy eye fuzz that you can buy at Mall Mart, NOW you're talking "complete shit"! :-D

KevinB
11-04-2011, 12:06 PM
To the OP, I'd say go to the store at dusk, convince them to let you take them outside, and look through them both at hard to distinguish objects, side by side. If you find a noticeable difference then that $500 bucks might be worth it to you. If it takes you another few years to save up enough for one of the Big 3 offerings, just buy your Vortex binos now and go hunting, and you'll probably kill just as many deer.

ThinAir
11-04-2011, 12:24 PM
I bought the new Swaroski Swarovisions last year. I thought long and hard about whether it was worth it...
Well this spring I had a gong show incident involving a wolf while road hunting, in my haste to get out of the truck I smashed and broke the left side objective lens on my binos.
Wicked... I just smashed my $2000 binos and I didn't even get the wolf!

I sent them off to get repaired, fully expecting to have to pay a good chunk of coin. Well a little while later they are returned FULLY repaired, no bill, no questions asked!!

Man, I'm glad I bought them....worth every penny

dogger
11-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Leupold Cascades 10x42. You cant beat the warranty!

wiggy
11-05-2011, 08:35 AM
My epochs got ran over by a quad; one tube was slightly bent at the end; sent em back; new pair 10 days later no questions no fees; sf glass; also in the 60s leitz came out with 10x40s that are still to this day one of the best binoculars ever made. 22 oz and very compact. They stopped production because they cost too much to make. Only drawback is they are not waterproof. I still use them when the weather's right. As Jack O'Connor said. These specs is the best sheep glass i ever spotted sheep with. (real quote)

The Hermit
11-05-2011, 08:52 AM
We understand you like KOWA, but also understand you SELL them...I have nothing against KOWA or you, but it gets tiresome reading about how AWESOME KOWA is from the guy who wants to sell them to us, this is a public forum, hunters helping hunters, I'd rather not be subjected to your advertising on here, I know you are a sponsor, but let the non-biased guys talk about KOWA, b/c your input is clearly imbued with sales pitch.

The guys that talk about the top 3 talk about them for a reason, because they are the best. Maybe KOWA is just an undiscovered company, but let the unbiased owners talk.

You have a point, I do sell them and I get that in your opinion my bias invalidates my perspective. It is a bug in my butt hearing the tired old song that the former big three are "the best" when clearly that isn't necessarily true anymore. Its my experience that everyone is biased in one way or another... Fords vs Chev, BMW vs Porche what ever a guy owns or has been told year after year what is best by big dollar marketing hype is the "best". What binos do you own??

Weatherby Fan
11-05-2011, 08:53 AM
I bought the new Swaroski Swarovisions last year. I thought long and hard about whether it was worth it...
Well this spring I had a gong show incident involving a wolf while road hunting, in my haste to get out of the truck I smashed and broke the left side objective lens on my binos.
Wicked... I just smashed my $2000 binos and I didn't even get the wolf!

I sent them off to get repaired, fully expecting to have to pay a good chunk of coin. Well a little while later they are returned FULLY repaired, no bill, no questions asked!!

Man, I'm glad I bought them....worth every penny

It seems that with binoculars for sure,"you get what you pay for" Ive used Leica 10x42 Trinovids for 20 years and couldn't be happier,they are simply awesome,and I've never heard of a horror story for warranty work from any of the big 3,can you imagine that kind of service coming from Bushnell,not a chance.

wiggy
11-05-2011, 06:49 PM
You have a point, I do sell them and I get that in your opinion my bias invalidates my perspective. It is a bug in my butt hearing the tired old song that the former big three are "the best" when clearly that isn't necessarily true anymore. Its my experience that everyone is biased in one way or another... Fords vs Chev, BMW vs Porche what ever a guy owns or has been told year after year what is best by big dollar marketing hype is the "best". What binos do you own??

Without a doubt Mr Hermit; Kowa has the best lenses in the buiz; period. Heard they were heavy around 32 oz?

MuleyStalker
11-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Nikon monarchs 10x42