PDA

View Full Version : spooked elk, Whats your best option

Ry151
10-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Im new to hunting elk and twice now i have spooked them (by smell or sound, Not sure which one). After you spook an elk what is your best option at that point, should a person leave and come back the next day or try to follow it? advice from some one with experiance would be appreciated.
Thank you

Brett
10-06-2011, 09:14 PM
wait a few hours

nap
10-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Once you spook them its tough, quick cow call might be the answer, when elk bolt they usually bolt and are gone, I am by no means a great elk hunter but try everything, Next day coming back is better than chasing them further away from their area, (I would think)

Wrayzer
10-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Spooked a bull this past week at about 10 minutes before legal light at about 20 yards, he jumped back about 100 yards then stopped at my cow calls, continued to have a screaming match for an hour or so unsuccesfully bringing him in for a shot in thick bush.
This was all while my buddy who learnd to bugle the night before, sounded like the pied piper on the horn and the wind at our backs.
We lost him after a bit, he took his time walking away still chuckling and bugling as he went up the hill. Tried the same spot that evening and next day but he never showed again.

Elk will travel large distances, and my be on the next mountain by a day or two after. Sounds like you found some good spots, keep cow calling and fine tune your scent control and walk through the bush the way an elk would, slow and take your time.

Elkaholic2010
10-06-2011, 09:55 PM
If I bump a bull with cows, and they take off. I make sure I can get the wind in my favor, then swing in with a lost cow call. Be very persistant with your call.....your a lost cow. 9 times out of 10 you can get back onto them as they try and locate each other to bunch up again. Im sure there are other techniques out there but this really works for me, and I get out and hunt elk often. Good luck!

Ry151
10-07-2011, 10:15 PM
What is your techneque for calling? i use 2 or 3 cow calls about every 20 min weather im walking or standing still, but not sure when to use the bugle unless i hear a bull bugle first.

If I bump a bull with cows, and they take off. I make sure I can get the wind in my favor, then swing in with a lost cow call. Be very persistant with your call.....your a lost cow. 9 times out of 10 you can get back onto them as they try and locate each other to bunch up again. Im sure there are other techniques out there but this really works for me, and I get out and hunt elk often. Good luck!