PDA

View Full Version : Hanging Meat

North
10-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Hi,

I am hanging my moose in my meat shed and had a question about temperature. The forecast for the next week shows the night dipping a few degrees below zero. Should I be worried about the meat freezing?

The shed is well ventilated and the temp in the day is perfect for hanging but just wondering what people's experience and opinions are.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

ex bc guide
10-06-2011, 05:08 PM
the moose meat will be fine at those temps.

Caveman
10-06-2011, 05:11 PM
No problem! It will take a lot to freeze anything in a sheltered area as you described. The meat will be really nice and cold, so much that you'll want to warm your hands as you handle it while cutting. Your Golden, unless it dips to minus 5 and doesn't come back up, but it is more of a nuisance than a problem

ravensfoot
10-06-2011, 05:19 PM
You have the prime meat hanging conditions.

Skeena
10-06-2011, 06:18 PM
The temperature is probably fine. Once you start seeing flies you better get it dealt with. Why don't you just get it cut up? Then you don't have to worry.

Cheers

trebreklaw
10-06-2011, 07:51 PM
A freind who is a proffesional meat cutting instructor says meat will not freeze until it gets below -2....

North
10-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the advice! I will cut it up next week as I have enjoyed aging my moose meat in the past and want to do the same this year.