PDA

View Full Version : Chilliwack Valley still has some nice Blacktails...

Camp Cook
10-06-2011, 12:54 PM
I was out during the rain yesterday spotted 11 does and shot a very nice 3X3 blacktail buck.

I was carrying my 22" barreled T/C Contender carbine in 45-70 loaded with my Hornady 325gr FTX @ 1850fps loads (these are the same bullets used in the Levelution ammo) I am sighted in 1" high @ 100 yards the first dot down on the bottom post is zeroed @ 150 yards and the second dot down is dead on @ 200 yards.

Shot was angled facing slghtly away but broadside only 50 yards uphill from me bullet entered 1" high of center rib cage passed just below the backbone and exited high in the off side rib cage deer dropped instantly.

Its funny I have had this barrel for appr 10 years and for some reason (usually end up grabbing another rifle) I have never shot anything larger that a grouse or rabbit with it so finally this barrel is broken in.

Here is a hint if your up the valley look for older growth timber that has knee high undergrowth between overgrown logging slashes and if it is raining there is no need to get out early I shot this guy at 11:40am...

I didn't have a camera with me so no photo yet I just skinned it so will take a photo later...

FYI I do not go blacktail hunting unless it is drizzling/raining...

8)

Gateholio
10-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Looking at the BC record book, so many big blacktails come out of that area, I wonder why so many lower mainland hunters head to Pemberton! Looking forward to the pics!!

russm86
10-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Off topic, but I think 45-70, especially with 325 gr, is a tad excessive for grouse and rabbit.... That bullet probably weighs almost as much as those things... lol.

Camp Cook
10-06-2011, 02:02 PM
You use what you have shot them all in the head so no meat was wasted...

walnutz
10-06-2011, 03:26 PM
were abouts was this? Up vedder rd? Congrats!

BCHunterTV
10-06-2011, 06:43 PM
The wack has deer? LoL

I can't find one if my life depended on it!

Camp Cook
10-06-2011, 06:50 PM
I still have another deer tag so the best your going to get out of me is up the Chilliwack Valley you get to go do a search for a good spot on your own.

:mrgreen:

Camp Cook
10-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Ok finally got a picture of the little guy...

I was out again this morning to take the pic took my 4 1/2 year old son with me it was windy and drizzling we saw 6 does.

With the wind blowing towards us from 3 of the deer they hardly seemed to notice us as we walked towards them finally at about 75 yards 2 of them started up the cut the other just stood there eating away even with my little guy talking and kicking rocks we were able to get within 5 yards of it wish I had the video camera with us...

Turns out where the deer was standing the wind was swirling so it could not smell us.

As soon as the rain stopped we didn't see another deer.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/504/medium/2602.JPG

moose2
10-07-2011, 12:38 PM
Nice deer congratulations

rred
10-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Gotta love cashing in close to home

TheProvider
10-07-2011, 07:47 PM
sweet bt.....

Tikka270wsm
10-07-2011, 08:19 PM
That's a solid blacktail buck, especially to get during the month of october. Congrats!

Th0r
10-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Great job.

TIKA 300
10-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Ok finally got a picture of the little guy...

I was out again this morning to take the pic took my 4 1/2 year old son with me it was windy and drizzling we saw 6 does.

With the wind blowing towards us from 3 of the deer they hardly seemed to notice us as we walked towards them finally at about 75 yards 2 of them started up the cut the other just stood there eating away even with my little guy talking and kicking rocks we were able to get within 5 yards of it wish I had the video camera with us...

Turns out where the deer was standing the wind was swirling so it could not smell us.

As soon as the rain stopped we didn't see another deer.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/504/medium/2602.JPG

Had same scenario last year on the FAR FAR side of the valley (Harrison),was THE WORST day i've hunted for rain,but was also one of the best locally......no shooters,yet seen deer.
Congrats on the buck......

Jetboater
10-08-2011, 07:40 PM
did you get that one where I met you a few days ago Cam?

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
10-08-2011, 08:32 PM
nice buck.

Camp Cook
10-08-2011, 09:40 PM
did you get that one where I met you a few days ago Cam?

No I've only seen does in that area I was far further east almost to the other side of the mtn.

Camp Cook
10-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Went again this morning it wasn't raining we didn't see anything...

Note to self don't waste time looking for blacktail when the weather is good... :)

Camp Cook
11-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Took my son into the same general area this morning after walking for about 4 - 5 minutes he spotted and scored a nice full bodied 2X2 blacktail buck that was following a doe shot was appr 100 yards.

He had his phone with him so I took a pic but it shows where we were so not going to post it I will get a pic up when I have it skinned out.

:wink:

Tikka270
11-13-2011, 03:22 PM
I honestly think I took this bucks dad. Shot him a couple years ago. I'll try and find some pics.

Camp Cook
11-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Finally here the pic of my son's blacktail that he shot 11/11/11... :)

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/02181.JPG

ElectricDyck
11-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Nice big forks!

stixnstones
11-20-2011, 12:50 PM
where is the pic???

huntcoop
11-20-2011, 01:18 PM
...I wonder why so many lower mainland hunters head to Pemberton...

'cause you, PG66 and Gilmore are killing us with some wicked threads, pix and video footage!

Big_Island_Hunter
11-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Nice buck, congratulations.

3mk
11-20-2011, 06:19 PM
i was there this morning clear and no drizzel wierd?

kennyj
11-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Nice solid 3 point.Way to go.
kenny

Camp Cook
12-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Headed up the valley this afternoon with an old buddy of mine that hasn't hunted in years we stopped at the gun club to double check the zero and to get him to try out my T/C Contender carbine in 375JDJ loaded with 260gr Accubonds @ 2300fps.

After leaving the club we headed out for a late afternoon deer hunt I got him within 20 yards of a fat doe then I did something I have never tried on blacktail before I gave a couple of low volume calls on my buck grunt the doe looked up but continued feeding after a minute or so she headed into the thicker timber slowly at first then a run.

We stood there watching while I gave a couple of more calls about 1 minute later out behind a knoll were the doe was standing when we first saw her a nice plump medium size 2X2 buck walked out.

He saw us and immediately took off in a full run thru the thick trees we ran into the bush about 5 yards to were we could see him flashing behind the trees I told my buddy he was going to break out into the open about 80 yards ahead of us when he did my buddy fired I saw the deer hunch up but it continued running out of sight into super thick bush.

To give it some time we headed back down the trail to the truck to get our knives and my now 2 year old Cheasapeake Bay Retriever when I got her to the trail I let her loose she was on the track instantly and found the deer almost immediately it had only gone about 30 - 40 yards before it had piled up.

Due to the deer angling away from us the shot entered fairly far back on the left side of the chest and exited out near the front of the right side bullet passed thru the right front shoulder.

That makes 3 bucks taken with my Contender carbines this fall awesome...

Oct 5/11 45-70 325gr FTX @ 1850fps
Nov 11/11 308Bellm 150gr Rem Core Lok @ 2620fps
Dec 7/11 375JDJ 260gr Accubond @ 2300fps

I won't have a pic for a few days I'll post it when I can.

Camp Cook
12-10-2011, 07:34 AM
Here it is little smaller but not bad :mrgreen:...

http://www.hunt101.com/data/504/medium/03241.JPG

hunter1947
12-10-2011, 07:41 AM
You got this right that set of antlers is as good as you can get them in that area ,congrats.

Camp Cook
12-10-2011, 07:58 AM
Everyone that hunts with them like my Contenders especially for thicker bush hunting they are short/lighter/fast handling little rifles that are extremely easy to pack and in most cases you will only have time for one shot in the heavier bush we hunt.

Mind you yesterday afternoon I hunted with my RA XCR-L in 6.8SPC loaded with 95gr TTSX @ 2825fps in 10 round pistol mags...

:mrgreen:

Camp Cook
11-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Update Nov 2012

Instead of starting a new thread and since BiG Boar posted a link to this thread in the Trophy Blacktail thread I figured I would just bump the lastest updates of my trophy blacktail hunts with my 5 1/2 & 27 year old son's no these are not what you would call trophies to some but to my boys it doesn't get much better than this.

Three Fridays ago I had a chance to get to the gun club for the afternoon needed to finish sighting in and rechecking zero on 3 rifles when I left the club I decided to run up the valley to my favorite blacktail hunting spot and low and behold after a 1/2 hour slow hike in off the main logging road I spotted two small bucks one had 5" spikes and the other was a small 2X2 with a drop tine (2X3) I was able to get to within 8 - 10 yards of them.

They new I was there but didn't care the 2X3 even started raking a 1" - 1 1/2" hemlock sapling with its antlers I stayed with them for about 15 - 20 minutes then decided it was time to get back to the truck I had taken a couple of IPhone pictures and showed them to my 5 1/2 year old son when I got home he got totally excited and started begging that I take him hunting as soon as possible.

I was able to find time Sunday morning to get out with him so we headed back up the valley to the same spot I can't take my young man into the bush in this area it is just to steep so we drove on by the trail.

About 500 yards further down the road we spotted moment on the side of the road it was the same two bucks that I had seen Friday night he got totally excited when we saw them I told him they were the same deer he asked "which one is the bigger one" I told him the one on the right.

What happened next totally surprised me my guy has been with me on 3 previous deer in the last 3 years that he has been going hunting with me yep thats right he started hunting on over night hunts Sept 10 2009 when he was only 2 1/2 years old anyway the next statement filled with excitement was "Dad you have to shoot the big one you do Dad you have to shoot our first deer of the year.

I tried explaining that we let smaller deer like these one go so they can be bigger next year he would not have any of it he just kept demanding that I shoot the bigger buck.

Who am I to disapoint that kind of excitement I was packing my T/C Contender carbine in 6.8SPC loaded with 6.8mm/270 cal 95gr TTSX @ 2960fps shot was appr 50 yards.

I feel kind of bad about shooting such a small buck though it turns out the body was a lot larger than I thought it was = my boy is still excited we actually went hunting again this morning but that is becasue his older brother shot another buck Thursday night.

Here is a pic of the little guy.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/House_2012_124.JPG

Which brings me I another story after a year or so of trying to decide on another T/C Contender carbine barrel/cartridge combo I realized I had everything covered with the combos I already had so I decided to step up in performance I bought a new 26" barreled T/C Prohunter in 7mm mag.

I have never had an interest in 7mm mags so I traded the barrel with a guy in Alberta for a 28" 30-06 Prohunter barrel and I bought a 28" 375H&H barrel from a guy here in BC both barrels arrived by Friday Oct 26 on Monday Oct 29 I mailed them both to Guntech (Dennis Sorensen) the gunsmith in Brentwood Bay on Van Island to have him shorten the barrels both to 22" I was going to call Thursday afternoon to see if the barrels had gotten to him.

I got home early from work Thursday afternoon when I checked my mail box I saw I had a Canada Post delivery notice so I turned around and went to the post office as I was walking in my mail lady was walking out she had just droped off my package it was still on the front counter with the clerk I saw right way that it was my barrels turn around time was only 4 days in disbelief I raced home and mounted my 30 year old Leupold Vari X 11 3-9X40 duplex reticle scope onto the 30-06 barrel .

I was loading up my truck with my range gear when my older son showed up he had a few things to do so I headed off to the gun club zeroed the rifle he met me at the Pointa Vista he jumped in with me and my dog to take the dog for a run up a logging road when we hit the road I handed him the 30-06.

At appr 5:50pm or 20 minutes after we started down the road he spots a very nice 2 point blacktail the antlers were not as big as the one he got last year but the body was almost exactly the same size he slipped out of the truck the rest is history = I've never put a rifle together and christen it so quickly before...

Here is a pic of this buck with the 22" barreled Prohunter in 30-06.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Nov_1_2012_Coastal_Blacktail_003.JPG

wos
11-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Wow all this makes me think its time to start hunting my back yard.

digger dogger
11-04-2012, 11:30 PM
The funny thing about this thread, is your not quite in the Chilliwack Valley, where you are hunting!!!

Mr. Dean
11-05-2012, 01:49 AM
Killer pic's CC.

pnbrock
11-05-2012, 07:34 AM
sure some skinny deer in those pics well done non the less!

hunter1947
11-06-2012, 04:19 AM
Dandy BTD very,,very nice,,,congrats to you on harvesting this buck....

rides bike to work
11-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Congrats on this years success I think I met you up your mountain last season we talked a bit you were friendly and helpful wich seems a bit rare these days I did some early scouting up there and got a trail cam pick of a nice 3x3. Unfortunately I tagged out already and was saving that area for later. Good to see you didn't kill my 3x3 yet he looked young mabey there will be a monster roaming around there next year.

Camp Cook
12-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Finally got my son onto another buck this morning he dropped a nice 3X4 not a monster by any means but very respectable this is his second buck for the year he was using my new T/C Prohunter with 22" 30-06 barrel again this time loaded was 165gr Accubonds @ 2850fps.

I'll get a pic together tomorrow when I take the hide back into the bush.

Jeffb
12-02-2012, 05:08 PM
sounds like ur havin good luck up the valley , im assuming thats where u got urs this mornin

Camp Cook
12-02-2012, 09:02 PM
Me no I wouldn't call my year lucky I have been out dozens of times and worked harder at it than I normally do seeing fewer deer than I have seen in years in all that time I have only shot one little buck myself.

Now my son that is a different story he has had major luck this fall he has only been out twice with me this fall and scored a buck each time making up for all the years that he didn't score anything.

I did take him to the best places I know of though and yes he shot both his bucks up the Chilliwack Valley most I'll say for giving the general area is one came from the east side of the river and the other came from the west side of the river and both were taken upstream of the Tamahi bridge.

Here is a pic of todays buck.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/504/medium/Jason_s_Dec_2_2012_3X4_Coastal_Blacktail_005.JPG

ElectricDyck
12-02-2012, 10:00 PM
That's awesome good for you and your boy! I love the directions :-D very nice! Congrats!

elkhunter2
12-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Me no I wouldn't call my year lucky I have been out dozens of times and worked harder at it than I normally do seeing fewer deer than I have seen in years in all that time I have only shot one little buck myself.

Now my son that is a different story he has had major luck this fall he has only been out twice with me this fall and scored a buck each time making up for all the years that he didn't score anything.

I did take him to the best places I know of though and yes he shot both his bucks up the Chilliwack Valley most I'll say for giving the general area is one came from the east side of the river and the other came from the west side of the river and both were taken upstream of the Tamahi bridge.

Here is a pic of todays buck.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/504/medium/Jason_s_Dec_2_2012_3X4_Coastal_Blacktail_005.JPG
That's a beautiful deer! congratulations!

Tarp Man
12-04-2012, 09:56 AM
I love hunting that drainage, I have seen some big deer taken out of there, but your consistency is shocking! You obviously put in the time and commit the boot tread to the hills to get where you are finding them. I love the guns too!

604redneck
12-04-2012, 10:32 AM
wow nice lookin bt

bruin
12-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Great bucks! I've spent a bit of time in Chilliwack, but I usually spend my time in the alpine. It looks like you guys are hunting timber mostly?
Thanks for posting.

BlacktailStalker
12-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Nice buck! I like the faint double throat patch.

Camp Cook
12-04-2012, 03:48 PM
I love hunting that drainage, I have seen some big deer taken out of there, but your consistency is shocking! You obviously put in the time and commit the boot tread to the hills to get where you are finding them. I love the guns too!

Just dont tell my wife if she had any idea how many days/1/2 days I have been out she would flip out on me...

I have never put in as much time still hunting as I have this year...

This last buck came from a very small spot it is easy access but everyone blinks when they go thru the area this was the first time into it for me in appr 2 years and the first time I have hunted it.

I will share a bit of a secret I hunt the hillside areas above where a certain weed is growing I have watched so many blacktail eating it over the last 2 years.

You find this food source and you will find deer.

Next time I am out I'll try and remember to snap a pic of it and post it for you guys.

and over the years I have hunted/hiked almost every alpine ridge/valley/hill side up there so kind of know where to spend my time.

:)

Maverick
12-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Nice buck
and thanks for sharing