PDA

View Full Version : Hearing protection in the field

russm86
10-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Just wondering how many people actually use any kind of hearing protection when out actually hunting, not just shooting, and what they might use for their hearing protection afield?

Rodd
10-06-2011, 10:25 AM
I personally don't wear any ear protection while hunting... I barely hear the rifle go off when i'm shooting at my game. But my young daughter, insists on wearing her ear muffs, if shooting at game... The noise still scares her.. as it did me when I was younger.. And the muffs are no problem to have along...

doubled
10-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Never wear it hunting. Too many times, the only thing that gets my attention is a twig breaking or a noise from somehere and it ends up being something I am chasing. I use my ears as much as my eyes so to lose that would not be to my liking.

Ike
10-06-2011, 11:11 AM
I always wear hearing protection when hunting, I have sensitive ears so I wear them when using lawnmowers, skilsaws and even when pounding nails. I don't put them in/on until I shoot so I can hear things in the bush as well, so far haven't had to make a quick shot on game.

Even though people often don't notice the shot, each one causes damage that can accumulate over time, just look at your grandad or dad for proof. While I never hunted with my grandpa I figured out he was a lefty by ear he was deaf in; he said it came in handy because grandma liked to nag a lot so he always sat her on his deaf side

Obviously don't need them when bow hunting.

Cheers

russm86
10-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Yea, I was thinking maybe something smaller like band style ear plugs and something to that is small and out of the way while hiking around but fairly quick to put in before the shot. Obviously if time is of the essence i wouldn't worry about them as I never have before. In my industry we have to have hearing checked every year and while at work in any noise everyone uses protection and same at the range or target shooting, but apparently, according to hearing testers and professionals even one or 2 shots when hunting is enough to slowly damage your hearing over time. What do you usually use Ike?

Camp Cook
10-06-2011, 12:25 PM
There expensive but I now wear E.A.R digital advantage electronic hearing aids I never go into the bush with a firearm without putting it in my ear due to being totally deaf in my left ear I only need one of these hearing aids I put a molded plug into my left ear when I am carrying/shooting a handgun don't have to when using a long gun.

I have even shot my 4 1/4" Ruger SRH in 454 Casull while wearing these without any kind of issue when firing a handgun even though I can't hear in my left ear without a plug the pressure wave is very painful.

From my understanding these automatically cut out any sound over 85db and due to being able to turn up the volume I can hear better with them in.

When the weather cools off or at the range I wear Peltor electronic muffs.

skibum
10-06-2011, 01:51 PM
carry the kind that rap around your neck, but totally forget about them once a spot a deer. Good intentions at least

tom
10-06-2011, 02:26 PM
I wear these for years. Soften the noice of the report with the internal valve but lets you hear normally otherwise.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/silencio-soft-rubber-internal-valve-earplugs-w-case-29914.html Tom

J-Man
10-06-2011, 02:31 PM
I use these, never had any trouble hearing game and I just put them on and keep them on. Turn off the volume when your on the ATV is all.

http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&&section=1190&section2=1933&section3=1934&ID=22982

stanway
10-06-2011, 03:11 PM
just look at your grandad or dad for proof.
Cheers

I always thought that was 'selective' - at least with my Dad anyway.

Ike
10-06-2011, 04:10 PM
I don't have fancy molded plugs, normally I use the flange type plugs since they don't need time to expand like the foam ones do. In the cold weather hunting geese or ducks I use muffs since they keep the ears warm too.

Cheers