PDA

View Full Version : Princeton 4 point down

cloverphil
10-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Last weekend, got better as it went along. I got to Princeton Friday evening early enough to set up camp and get some sleep before the morning hunt.

My 9 year old daughter had come along for the ride and slept until I had the tent set up and her bed made.

Saturday morning started early, before sunrise when I awoke to the sound of a Duramax diesel near my tent. My friends had driven up in the early morning hours to join us for the days hunt in the hills.
Soon after daybreak, at one of my favorite new cutblocks, we were overjoyed to see 3 does and their 3 fawns having breakfast. My daughter was quite taken to see the moms and kids in a natural habitat. Another friend of mine had taken his first ever 2 point Muley here last year, but no bucks today. We did see several other dear deer as the day went on, including after sundown standing in the middle of the road.

During the day my friend on his quad had seen a bear, a cow and calf moose, and a few grouse, ( what a mess a 12 ga. makes of grouse)
Sunday morning we had planned on starting early again. My friends who had planned on staying in a motel in town, decided to sleep in the truck, which got uncomfortable and cold, ending in us all sleeping in till 7:30 or 8.
When we parted paths, we met up later on, in the hills, not having much luck with the morning hunt we said our good byes and parted ways again, planing to meet at camp before heading home. They had mentioned leaving for home around 10:30 11, but I wanted to spend most of the day there feeling good about my chances.

Before packing up the tent I decided to go back to the cutblock from the morning before where we had seen the 3 does and fawns. While rounding a corner about a third of the way up the hill we saw a spiker stop in his tracks crossing the road. As I clamored out of the truck with my 8mm-06 to get a shot, he ran, and I noticed a fawn with him. I tried to follow but the bush got thick fast and he made his exit quickly. I realized I had left the truck running with my daughter inside and headed back.

Returning to the truck I decided we were done and headed back to camp to load up and head out. It was now after 12 noon and my friends had already gone home. After loading up I thought, maybe I should take one more run to the end of the road again just for the odd chance that spike was still in the area.
After getting to the end of the road and seeing nothing I turned us around and prepared to head home. Coming back down a hill always seems to go faster than climbing, but at 1:30 all of a sudden there were 5 full grown deer driver's side, beside me walking through a fairly new cutblock about 10 yards from the road; 2 does and 3 bucks; (a 2 point, a spiker, and a 4 point.) I reached to the back window and took down my Uncle's handed down, Marlin 336 in 30-30 Win and slid out of the truck to land on my belly at the side of the road. All 5 deer were slowly climbing higher into the cut block and were getting about 75 yards away.

Having already decided which deer I was aiming for, I called out "HEY," and the 4 point stopped and looked back at me. With his right side facing me, I squeezed off a shot, taking out his lungs, and knocking him down. He got to his feet and climbed over the crest of the hill to fall, 65 yards later, never to get up again. I had run up the hill after them to see if another shot was neccessary, which it wasn't, so I quickly ran back to get the truck with my daughter and grab the knives to start gutting my first 4 point Muley, YES !!!

I don't know if it's true what they say, "Kids who hunt trap and fish, don't mug little old ladies" but my daughter at 9, has now helped gut a snowshoe hair and a 4 point mule deer within a month span and now she can't wait to get her first bow and arrow. . . . I know where I'm taking her to spend that birthday money she's been saving . . . . . lol

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k564/cloverphil/4point.jpg

RoscoeP
10-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Hey nice going, I have some fond memories of going duck/goose and rabbit hunting back east with my daughter when she was young. Cheers Roscoe

doubled
10-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Right on, that is a cool story. Good to hear your daughter is into it too.

10-05-2011, 04:23 PM
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k564/cloverphil/4point.jpg

Nice work! keep takin the kid eventually she might pack out yer deer for ya

DMAN009
10-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Heard the exact same story on Monday at work. Still pisses me off reading it again...(kidding of course).

Good Job Phil

Darcy

JDR
10-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Nice job, congrats! Way to go with your instinct and give er one last look. How was your daughter with the rabbit? I got one a couple weeks back and my nine year old got all teary-eyed, so I had to send her back to the truck. We had it for dinner the following night and I was proud she actually ate some and liked it. Not sure she'll come with me again though.

d6dan
10-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Nice buck CP. Congrats and glad too see your daughter was with you!. I bet she was stoked!

kennyj
10-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Great story, and great buck.
kenny

sapper
10-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Nice work, Phil. My daughter is going to be a great little hunter too. She's seven now but is always talking about going out with me when she's older. When she was younger (4) she told me that, "Ketha (our cat) will be a great hunter cat for is to take hunting."

BimmerBob
10-05-2011, 07:23 PM
Great job Phil, have been waiting for this since you phoned! Congrats on your first (of what I am sure will be many) Mulie!

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
10-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Good job on getting a mulie buck.

Nice your daughter go with you and learn from her dad all about hunting.

cloverphil
10-05-2011, 10:57 PM
thanks for the replies all, my daughter was really stoked on both trips, she loves bunnies too but was in awe of watching one get gutted. She didn't willing take some to eat on her plate but she did take some of mine quietly on the side . . . . lol . . . . she'll make a great little hunter one day . . . . she eats deer and bear just fine with no hesitation, now for an elk next week end in Creston I hope, should be a great trip

thanks for posting the pic 835 , I still haven't figured out how to do that, my daughter took the picture with my phone . . .

moose2
10-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Good story and nice buck congratulations
Mike