PDA

View Full Version : 5-13 A Any suggestions?

Espanola
09-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Hi,
A buddy and I are headed for 5-13A on the 10th of Oct for a week of Mulie Hunting. First time for us and wondering if anyone has any suggestions/areas to find a good size buck. We put in for moose and does but came up empty, so we 'll go for bucks and reconoitre the area for (hopefully) next years(successful?) draw. Also any ideas re campsites and or house-keeping cabins in that area would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mel

Jelvis
09-15-2006, 11:28 AM
Big Bucks are where you find them, from Alexis's Creek N and NW used to be the best mule deer in the Chilcotin in the 60's and 70's, at one time, but, access by logging roads, and now, it's still got deer, and apparently is nice country to hunt. So Oct 10th 06 isn't the best time to hunt biggins but you could get a decent 4 point for sure, good scouting E S P an >>> <<<

BlacktailStalker
09-15-2006, 12:06 PM
The big deer are always where the smaller ones are, you just have to realize they are not in a rut dazed aura and you have to step up your predatory skills to overcome their survival skills. We're headed to 5-13B Sept.22-30 for a few moose draws and mulies/whitetails (if there are any?) I'm probably going to go where ever I have to for a crack at a mature buck. Not sure how area A will differ from B but you'll definitely get an update from us from our area when we return.

Espanola
09-18-2006, 11:36 AM
We should be in the area and hunting by the 12th/Oct. Will be on the look for a nice 'rack' but we won't be too choosy as they're all a lot bigger than the island black tails.....Will post how we do.
Anyone know of any cabins/ lodges in that area?
Tks
Mel

Timbow
09-18-2006, 12:00 PM
That wouldn't be my first choice for mulies without a moose draw. That time of the season the deer are migrating. Your best bet is 5-02 for a quality sized mulie. 5-13 is more for the early season, like September.

Tim

Jelvis
09-18-2006, 12:34 PM
Could still be some honker bucks hanging back watchin what the does are doin and stayin up a little where there playin a waiting game But by the 9th of Oct 06 those bucks will start chasing does all over the place. Check ridges, thats the travel route of deer. And those deer might not know your there and would still be runnin at that time of the pre-rut Bucks run does in a frenetic frenzy for weeks from Oct 9 to the 23rd of Oct I M H O then does start to hold still and let the buck mount.From Oct 23 to Dec 5th IMO as an experienced mule deer hunter in B.C. 9 18 6 >>> good huntin in 5:13 the Chilli cootin.

Espanola
09-18-2006, 11:47 PM
Thanks Jelvis, good advice is always appreciated. Bucks on the move chasing does...sounds good to me. Plan to have my new- to- me 6.5x55 Swede tuned up and ready. Also picked up a Model 1895 7mm Chilean Mauser recently that I'm working on to take as a back-up.
And Timbow, part of our plan is to scope the area out for a possible moose draw next year....good to have some familiarity of the country aforehand. A friend from work bagged a big mulie in 5-02 last year....if we had more time off....

Espanola
10-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Any other ideas re: 5 13 Mulies? Thanks.