PDA

View Full Version : blacktail experts

wsm
10-05-2011, 12:13 PM
when does calling for blacktail bucks start to become effective. when in your experience do the bucks start responding (on the mainland) if there is a difference??

thanks
wsm

longstonec
10-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Depends what you call them ...

Ddog
10-05-2011, 12:54 PM
i hunted blacktails for many years and was very successful, however i never did have great success in calling them, although the grunt tube did get me a few shots at some, it also seemed that the bucks on the mainland were in the full rut in mid to late oct wit lots of rubs showing up at that time.
so in response to your question calling never really did become effective for me, however i do know some that had some pretty alright success during this time frame.
from my experiences from surrey to chiliwack anyways.

d6dan
10-05-2011, 01:28 PM
3rd week of October is generally the time the rut kicks in, so start calling. They are already rubbing their boundaries now, and it will heat up shortly.

270WIN
10-05-2011, 03:27 PM
just seen a small 2 point with 2 does

elksmasher
10-05-2011, 11:29 PM
I found a little grunt or fart call stops them dead in their tracks,I had one walk right up to me once during the rut making little farting noises he walked past me went 40 yards and came back,he,s still going I was laughing to hard and let him go.

5 spike
10-06-2011, 04:46 AM
never had any luck calling in blacktails and i am not an expert but they like the smell of vannila bullseyes lol. i no lots of hunters that hunt blacktails and have for many years and 90 percent of them will say calling does not work well for them.

greenhorn
10-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Don't know. I've only called one in, it was in September. I think it was a combination of luck and the buck being pretty young (dumb) and curious....