PDA

View Full Version : Post rut moose tactics.

burger
10-05-2011, 12:57 AM
Hey all, what if anything changes for you all when it comes to moose hunting after the rut has happened. What do the bulls and cows do? Stay together/apart? Do they more high or hole up in the thick stuff. How do you adapt to the post rut hunt?

I ask as we are going out on the 17th for 10 days into region 6. We are later than normal this year as we did not get an Leh and so we are now going for the GOS and well past our optimum time during the rut.

coach
10-05-2011, 05:35 AM
In my experience, the GOS in region 6 coincides with a second rut for moose. In the area I've hunted, we generally see smaller bulls looking to breed whatever cows didn't get bread during the September 20 to October 5 time period. Occasionally we see big bulls, but for the most part they must be holed up in the thick stuff recovering. Good luck on your hunt. It will be interesting to hear what others people's experience has been.

doubled
10-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Coach explained it well. No experience for region 6 but that is similiar to the areas I have hunted and seen. Big boys will be in the thick stuff feeding heavily and recovering.

burger
10-05-2011, 01:00 PM
In my experience, the GOS in region 6 coincides with a second rut for moose. In the area I've hunted, we generally see smaller bulls looking to breed whatever cows didn't get bread during the September 20 to October 5 time period. Occasionally we see big bulls, but for the most part they must be holed up in the thick stuff recovering. Good luck on your hunt. It will be interesting to hear what others people's experience has been.

So do you think they will still respond to calling?

Darksith
10-05-2011, 10:03 PM
I generally find that they aren't talking anymore at that time. My personal strategy is to cover a ton of ground, it usually means road hunting, unless you know where the moose are...snow helps with that. They will be in the timber close to their food source (willows), if you can find them then moving through the timber very slowly and quietly can work, but you want old growth forest otherwise you won't be able to move through quietly. It can be very tough hunting, lots of days without seeing anything. Don't get discouraged, usually when you find the moose they are still in their herds. Try to catch them crossing roads, openings etc etc. Good luck

coach
10-06-2011, 09:13 AM
So do you think they will still respond to calling?

With so many great hunting opportunities in the R3, 4 and 8, I've skipped the R6 trip the last two years. They will respond to calling, but not with the same conviction as during the rut. Darksith has summed it up pretty well - "cover ground and hope to catch them in the open" has been the motto for the guys in my crew over the years. It's not my favorite way to hunt - and the cost of gas makes it even less attractive. That said, my hunting partner gets his bull during the short, one week GOS almost every year. In most cases, the bulls we have taken have been together with cows. Find a cow and make sure she's not alone before moving on. This seems obvious, but it's important to remember.

Every year, someone will take a moose off the lake. Some years are better than others. We've found that if there's a layer of ice around the shoreline, the moose are not likely to be there - it's hard on their legs.

Another method is to use google earth and plan a strategy of "meadow hopping". Our group rent cabins in 6-9 each year, and this is the strategy of the lodge owner. His uncle used to guide the area. He will hike into several meadows through the course of a day looking for fresh sign. Occasionally, he'll get lucky and find a bull bedded down.

Snow on the ground is a definite bonus. Find fresh tracks and you can often catch up to a moose. This has worked very well for friends of mine who have had the November draws in 8-11 and 3-12.

In no way am I an expert on moose - but I've hunted that GOS enough times to have learned a few things. Hopefully some of the more experienced moose callers on this site will provide you a little more info.

burger
10-06-2011, 01:49 PM
With so many great hunting opportunities in the R3, 4 and 8, I've skipped the R6 trip the last two years. They will respond to calling, but not with the same conviction as during the rut. Darksith has summed it up pretty well - "cover ground and hope to catch them in the open" has been the motto for the guys in my crew over the years. It's not my favorite way to hunt - and the cost of gas makes it even less attractive. That said, my hunting partner gets his bull during the short, one week GOS almost every year. In most cases, the bulls we have taken have been together with cows. Find a cow and make sure she's not alone before moving on. This seems obvious, but it's important to remember.

Every year, someone will take a moose off the lake. Some years are better than others. We've found that if there's a layer of ice around the shoreline, the moose are not likely to be there - it's hard on their legs.

Another method is to use google earth and plan a strategy of "meadow hopping". Our group rent cabins in 6-9 each year, and this is the strategy of the lodge owner. His uncle used to guide the area. He will hike into several meadows through the course of a day looking for fresh sign. Occasionally, he'll get lucky and find a bull bedded down.

Snow on the ground is a definite bonus. Find fresh tracks and you can often catch up to a moose. This has worked very well for friends of mine who have had the November draws in 8-11 and 3-12.

In no way am I an expert on moose - but I've hunted that GOS enough times to have learned a few things. Hopefully some of the more experienced moose callers on this site will provide you a little more info.

Thats what Im hoping as I too am a relatively new post rut hunter.