PDA

View Full Version : Maze Lake, Too much hunting pressure?

ravensfoot
10-04-2011, 06:36 PM
I'm thinking of taking my son up to Maze lake area in 5-02. I have not been in the area before and it looks interesting on the maps. I am wondering from those that have hunted the area is it too close to town? How much pressure does this area get? I have hunted Knife creek for the past 2 decades and have come to the conclusion that this area is hit far too hard. Will I be in the same situation over at Maze Lake?

silvertipp
10-04-2011, 06:41 PM
its not to bad in there all sorts of area .roads.pipeline and powerlines ,depends when your going always better with snow

ravensfoot
10-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Thinking of going towards the end of october, beginning of november. I am aware of the rut closure.
I have hunted both the pipeline and powerline but always from knife creek west to redeau lake rd.

.330 Dakota
10-04-2011, 08:19 PM
If you have a doe tag its great, I live 10 minutes from Maze Lake road. I have yet to see a decent buck out there, but I do see LOTS of hunters.
I have quit hunting that area myself and only go for does or grouse as there are lots of both.
Enterprise area has better buck prospects imho, My son shot a nice 4x4 there last fall right off the side of the road(enough to be legal) and only 3 minutes off the hwy.

ravensfoot
10-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Well, Looks like Maze lake is out then. Too bad because it looked like a decent area. I thought that the Enterprise area had alot of private property.

.330 Dakota
10-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Well, Looks like Maze lake is out then. Too bad because it looked like a decent area. I thought that the Enterprise area had alot of private property.

Actually if you head out to where you start seeing cutblocks its all crown land out there.On the way you will see some old logging roads that are NOT private as well.

ravensfoot
10-12-2011, 06:37 PM
OK, I have had a look at Enterprise area on GoogleEarth and it looks very promising. Lots of selective logging areas that look like they would be good to hunt. Any tips on places to drag a 30ft travel trailer and anything to look out for?

timberhunter
10-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Ran into a couple guys riding horses in the Churn area. They said the place is full of wolves now. Didn't see any deer either.

sakofinnlight
10-12-2011, 07:49 PM
Whoever says there arent many big bucks around Maze lake..... well your just looking in the wrong spot, I grew up in 100 mile and have hunted that area alot in the past 10 years. Seen alot of nice bucks up there, but if you hunt it in september and october it can be very slow in there, I prefer to hunt in the last few weeks of the season as it is a major wintering area!

.330 Dakota
10-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Good luck with that, I live here

blackbart
10-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Lots of deer in that area and some very good ones do show up. Try to get away from the main roads and use your feet instead of a quad and you will see deer. Some of the timber may not be "easy" to hunt but does hold lots of deer from now until the end of the season.

Have see a couple of "rat deer" aka whitetails there as well - please shoot a buck if you see it and have the tag.

ravensfoot
10-13-2011, 01:52 PM
I am definitely planning on showing up right after the rut closure in November. Hoping the big boys will have moved in from the high hills.
I also do prefer hiking than road riding. Always see way more and can check out the sign in the area. It looks from the maps alot like the UBC forest off HWY 97 with all the selective logging, i'm hoping that will be productive south of Chimney Lake.

ravensfoot
10-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Good luck with that, I live here
Not sure what to read from this? Should I keep a wary eye out for you while i'm hunting? Or is it because you live "here" the hunting is not very good in Maze lake and or Enterprise?