PDA

View Full Version : learned a valuable lesson this morning.

JoshCampbell
10-04-2011, 03:11 PM
got up around 530, grabbed some coffee and headed to a block I seen from across the valley on sunday, on my way there seen a nice big bull moose (first sign of a moose i have seen all year) after walking around the forest for an hour deciced to head to the block i was at sunday and glassed the block i had just been in on my way there and spotted a big black bear just walking into the block, not having a bear tag i just watched him for a few minutes and wondered off into the brush looking for a whitetail with no luck on my way i was thinking to myself well since i have found some moose sign maybe i should get a moose tagb incase a spikefork pops his head out not 5 minutes later a big cow runs across the road as i get closer to the area i see a smaller moose coming out of the brush behind her and to my dismay the first spike fork moose i have ever seen comes trotting out of the bush with not a care in the world. being only 10 minutes from town i race to get a moose tag and hope to get back to find him close by, but it was not to be spent 2 hours following tracks threw the timber into the backend of a nice block jump 3 whitetail and one has tiny spikes but not being quick enough to get a shot befor he disappears i keep looking for the moose but no such luck this day. lesson learned always get a moose tag in a spike fork open area.

pg83
10-04-2011, 03:16 PM
There's no such thing as too many tags! Missed out on a big Tom two years ago myself.

coach
10-04-2011, 03:29 PM
That little guy won't likely be far away from where you saw him. I'd hunt that area as often as you can over the next couple of weeks. The thing you have in your favor is he's still hanging with his mom. Easier to find two moose than one. Good luck - this may not be the end if your story.

VicP
10-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Same sort of thing happened a few years back up in Fort Nelson. We came backto our camp, started the fire, had the generator running and we were sittingaround the now roaring fire getting warm when we see a big cow moose come intothe meadow we were camped in. Low and behold out pops a smaller guy we mistakenfor a calf due to the loose of lighting. After being stupid an making noises tosee how they would react they came closer and we had a better look. Somethingwas not right with what we saw and both of us jumped for our binos and rifles.Sure enough it was a two spike and they blended in with the ears. By the timewe got into a good shooting lane the left through the willows and into theswamp. Next day up before the crack of dawn we went wandering around the campand then decided to split up. Having GPS radios we always knew where the otherone was so we were quite comfortable with that. About ten o’clock my buddycalls me to say that he is going back to the trailer and is going to makelunch. \no sooner did he get back the same pair popped out in to the meadow.Next thing I here is his 7mm going off and then a follow up shot. I get a callback on the radio and my buddy says that there is a two spike laying deadtwenty feet from the truck. Talk about luck.

Hunterguy
10-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Isnt it in the regs that you cannot take an animal on the day you purchase your tag, otherwise somebody not as honest as you were would have shot the animal, bolted to town, buy a tag and yada yada. Makes sense but maybe someone on the forum could comment further on the rule.

500grhollowpoint
10-04-2011, 06:06 PM
That only applies to a couple animals, cougar, elk maybe?

The Dawg
10-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Isnt it in the regs that you cannot take an animal on the day you purchase your tag, otherwise somebody not as honest as you were would have shot the animal, bolted to town, buy a tag and yada yada. Makes sense but maybe someone on the forum could comment further on the rule.

Thats only for certain species. Moose are fair game the second you buy your tag

seatoskymiles
10-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Isn'y that for cats ?

Jelvis
10-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Sheep or Grizz probably not the same day but swampers?

KB90
10-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Shitty luck Josh!!! Also for those asking any tag that is stripped has a 48 hour waiting period. Sheep Grizzly Goat Caribou Lynx Cougar. I may have missed one or two