PDA

View Full Version : Region 7-7 Info

doubled
10-04-2011, 05:56 AM
Have been talked into joining the old man and his friends for a hunt in 7-7. I have never been there and am not relying on them too much as they tend to relax more than hunt. They are also new to this area as they normally hunt just north of McBride but wanted a new area. I am bringing a buddy to accompany me and share costs so am hoping to get some info. We are heading up after Thanksgiving for 6 days.

1) What is the deer population there? Do they migrate out of the area and if so, when and where are the routes?

2) What is the moose population there? Calf and spike fork is open during that time so hoping to run into a calf. The rut will be over so will the cows and calves still be hanging around the water.

Thanks for all info.

shaydog65
10-04-2011, 08:41 AM
I just got back from 10days in 7-7 on an any bull LEH draw. The 4 of us were skunked. There are moose in that region, and the rut should be full blow right now. We were slightly early and had incredibly bad weather. Not to mention it was our first hunt in that region. Don't expect to find deer. In 10 days we saw only 1 white tail spiker, no doe's, no fawn, nothing else. Lots of black bear and plenty of Grizz/ Wolf skat. We hiked, sat, quaded, road hunted the whole MU. It wasn't a lack of effort or over sleeping on our part.

doubled
10-04-2011, 08:50 AM
Thanks Shay. Not exactly the words that I wanted to hear but I appreciate the honesty. Where abouts were you guys camped? Where did you focus mainly? Thanks again for the info.

shaydog65
10-04-2011, 09:17 AM
We camped off of Beaver and hunted that area as well as most viable areas between Bowron and Coalmine. I would stay optimistic knowing that the rut was just starting as we were leaving. That was Oct 1st.

doubled
10-04-2011, 10:03 AM
I hear you. We will be going regardless of what we hear but it is nice to know for sure. We will be after the rut but that should not matter too much I don't think for this hunt. Thanks again for the info.

Caveman
10-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Have hunted there lots over the last 10 years. Have never been skunked as a group. The Bear Beaver is a good early area, gets lots of pressure though. Get off the beaten path, you'll find them. Rarely see more than a hand full of white tail, never seen a muley. Calves are around, but by Thanksgiving when they open you'll see few. 7-07 is a big unit, try the south side of Hwy16, I have my suspisions you'll find a larger population of calves as it is a little farther from the nearest populated area. I can give you several good areas to check out, and some local boys from your hometown will be there the same time as you. PM me and I'll let you know who. I believe you know them or related at least.

doubled
10-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Caveman, I believe they are joining us there. PM me your phone number and I will give you a call tonight if you do not mind. Thanks,

DD

jml11
10-04-2011, 04:40 PM
A colleague called in a bull moose and shot it mid-september in 7-7...there are actually a fair number of deer but they don't show themselves all that much in the early season. More white-tails than mulies. Your chances of running into a moose are decent anytime and anywhere in that M-U. Next week is the busiest time for moose hunting in the PG area so try not to get discouraged when you see gaggles of trucks and quads all over the place...I would agree with Caveman that the southside of the highway (far south) should be less busy which might increase your odds of finding a legal animal??? The beaver is hunted hard by townies...but keep in mind most are road hunters. On the northside, the Aleza Area is also good and I don't think it gets hunted all that hard as most guys just driver the roads and the research forest tends to try and 'hide' their blocks so they aren't all that visible. This is also where Bowron River Outfitters hunts...must be a reason :-D Good Luck!!

doubled
10-04-2011, 04:48 PM
JML11 - good info my friend! Thanks for this, it is appreciated.

emerson
10-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Keep in mind that there are quad restrictions in that MU. Check
The regs, but I think it's no quads before 9 am.

Jelvis
10-04-2011, 06:12 PM
MU 7-7 has good moose hunting and good access. Good rabbit and grouse too.
Good moose along the Bowron River (north of Hwy 16.)
..Willow River road is the preemo della reeemo .. access from Hwy 16 about 37 km east of Prince George.
Also reached from Buckhorn, 15 km south of P. G. on Hwy 97
and from Stoner, no kidding, 30 km south of Prince George on Hwy 97. Good moose.
Jel the Willow River .. Fill your quiver .. MU 7-7 is moose hunting heaven .. 7 - 07

doubled
10-05-2011, 07:35 AM
Keep in mind that there are quad restrictions in that MU. Check
The regs, but I think it's no quads before 9 am.

Actually it is no quads from 6:30am to 10:00am during the time we will be there which is just fine to me. Thanks for the reminder.

jml11
10-05-2011, 08:18 AM
Actually it is no quads from 6:30am to 10:00am during the time we will be there which is just fine to me. Thanks for the reminder.

This is my favorite local regulation as it gives us guys who are willing to walk a major advantage for first light to get into areas that cannot be accessed by truck!! I find mornings to be relatively quiet in areas with these restrictions (with the exception of mains road where pick ups are readily driving around) in comparison to the afternoons and evenings when quad hunters are ofen plentiful.

doubled
10-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Yes sir, I agree and look forward to the peace and quiet of morning hunts. Quads will be used for extraction hopefully.

Caveman
10-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Or you can run into some of those areas that the trucks can't easily access with the quad early and save some boot leather, knowing you will be alone

emerson
10-06-2011, 01:22 PM
this is my favorite local regulation as it gives us guys who are willing to walk a major advantage for first light to get into areas that cannot be accessed by truck!! I find mornings to be relatively quiet in areas with these restrictions (with the exception of mains road where pick ups are readily driving around) in comparison to the afternoons and evenings when quad hunters are ofen plentiful.

yes sir, i agree and look forward to the peace and quiet of morning hunts. Quads will be used for extraction hopefully.
x3........

250 sav
10-06-2011, 02:02 PM
hunted 7-7 from 2000-2007 in oct. (3 guys usually) 4 calves, 1 small bull(leh) 2 (cows leh) and saw grizzly every year!!!! saw mulies and whities along the rivers, saw a 6x7 bull elk 2 days after they closed. busy place! most of the moose were in areas almost impossible to walk in. coalmine rd, wansa rd, pitoney rd. grizzly rd. tsus mtn. Iwould not go back uslees I had a leh

doubled
10-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the info 250 sav. This will be my first trip to this area and will take some time to get the lay of the land down and figured out. I look forward to seeing new sspots and will try to get off the beaten path as it seems like it is a fairly busy area. I figure if I can walk a bit, chances are most people will not bother so should be ok from that point.

doubled
10-11-2011, 07:14 AM
Thanks to those that replied and PM'd me. It is very appreciated. Thanks Shaydog65, Caveman, jml11, emerson, Jelvis and 250sav. Special thanks to Greg for the phone call. We leave right after work today. Yeehawww!!

DD

shaydog65
10-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Happy hunting!