PDA

View Full Version : So what,s better moose or elk

slyfox
10-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Seeing a lot of moose and elk shot the last couple days i,m more of a moose hunter then elk so what,s better table fair guys.

I,m sure there both good but if ya had elk or moose in the freeze what wood you prefer to eat.

I love moose meat and always take a week of work to moose hunt but thinking of going for elk next year so let my know what ya guys think.

Thanks Slyfox.

keoke
10-03-2011, 09:21 PM
If I had both in the freezer I would pull out some elk steaks just cause I have yet to try some.

Fisher-Dude
10-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Elk wins every time. Moose is great, but elk is greater.

ianwuzhere
10-03-2011, 09:55 PM
yup x2..................

gibblewabble
10-03-2011, 09:57 PM

X3, if both were in the freezer elk would be gone first.

Looking_4_Jerky
10-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Elk! Never had a bad tasting one even though they're piss-soaked, rutted out, cum-crusted filth on the outside. The bigger animals do get tough but the taste is still good. I have tasted slightly gnarly rut-moose, but even they are not bad as far as tasting pretty good in the rut.

Mule deer on the other hand, I am reluctant to eat even after mid-October. Although the only mountain goat I've ever shot (Sept 1) was delightful, I have heard that rutty goat is quite repulsive. Apparently the same goes for Caribou.

Caveman
10-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Having had moose every year for twenty years plus , I started to elk hunt a few years back and love it. The wife loves it. Partly could be the different flavour after years of moose, but as the question asked, which is better, I'd say elk for sure. I have also heard the opposite from someone that had elk for years, but only once

Allen50
10-03-2011, 10:30 PM
there both great as you see on this site there is lots of moose hunters and lots of elk hunters, and most of all its meat in the frezzer, for winter, and if you take care of it proper once its down it will tast good from start to finnish, no matter witch one you hunt,,,,,,,

JDR
10-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Best meat I ever had was a young bull moose, but i'm sure a young elk would be just as tasty!

Call of the Wild
10-04-2011, 06:05 AM

X3 elk hands down better

moosinaround
10-04-2011, 06:39 AM
I prefer a spike fork moose for fine dining fare, but the elk we got this year is pretty tasty too! The whitetail I got last fall was very delicious too! If I was forced to just 1, it would be a spike fork or calf moose!! Moosin

Walking Buffalo
10-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Not to put down Moose meat at all, but my preference is Elk.

And not just because of the flavour. I get more energy from eating elk than any other meat. It's my version of Popeye's spinach.

Think of it this way, Racehorse or Plowpuller.

Mikey Rafiki
10-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Only had the opportunity to eat moose a handful of times. Draws are a little harder to come by around here, so rarity means that I desire the moose meat more. Here's hoping we have an immy and a bull elk in the freezer soon to do some dilligent taste comparisons.

rocksteady
10-04-2011, 09:01 AM
I prefer elk over moose...

Elk is very fine grained and makes sweet gravy, with a mild flavour.

Moose tends to be coarse grained, makes a richer gravy and tends to have a stronger (different flavour).....

Don't get me wrong though, I would be more than willing to sit and hork down a big old T-bone or roast from either of these beasts :)

mark
10-04-2011, 09:02 AM
I believe it a bit of an unfair comparison.....most elk that one eats is generally a large 6 point bull shot in the rut!
"Most" moose one eats are young ones, shot pre-rut.
Both are excellent meat, no question, but for table fair only, Id take a yearling moose over a rutting elk, (by a small margin)