PDA

View Full Version : help?! Where are the moose

champs
10-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Ok here is my thinking... hot temps, sunny days, push the moose to higher altitude where water is present. am i wrong? got a LEH with my 70 year old pa and 11 year old son... spent this weekend searching and covering much ground, both tires and boot rubber but to no avail. is the rutting starting now, or is it early due to temps? we will be back out next weekend, and every off day we can, but it sure was discouraging not seeing sign -- they gotta be somewhere, right?

coach
10-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Where is your draw?

guywitha270
10-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Just spent 4 days in region 7 without a sniff. Had them responding but wouldn't show themselves. Tried cow calling and nothing. But when we switched to bull calling they got all hot and bothered. Just wouldn't come out of the thick stuff. Next moring he was gone. Then we're driving back to camp and a group has just shot one from the road. It's a crapshoot mostly. I heard a wise saying, "they are where you find them". I think that's about right.

Shawnee
10-04-2011, 03:09 PM
I was out on an outing at the Nahalatch River (near Boston Bar) and saw three trucks, each with a moose. On my way home saw on the highway heading towards Spences Bridge I saw three more vehicles with moose. Maybe this will help? :)

Brizz
10-04-2011, 04:47 PM
TONS in Region 8 (west).

champs
10-04-2011, 05:32 PM
not looking for locations, but concepts here. is my thinking correct that due to temps the moose will be higher? is the rut a little later due to temps? i am not afraid of wearing out my boots, i am just looking for points in the right direction of concepts.

jeff
10-04-2011, 05:41 PM
i just got back from 2 weeks in fort st james we got 2 moose and seen 7. rut is a bit late . we dididnt start gatting answers from our calls till around the 30th. but as for hunting high it all depends on location .where i was we stayed low in the swamps and marsh. youll get er done . be patient

Darksith
10-04-2011, 06:12 PM
get in the swamps if you are in the interior

treeclimber
10-04-2011, 06:18 PM
i have a reg 3 bull draw, saw a few nice bulls in sept, but they have packed up and left....

LYKTOHUNT
10-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Like others have said get near swamps and water we filled our three tags one on Sept 10 26 28, the one I shot responded very nicely to a cow call the one on the 28 was with a cow and another bull.

Caveman
10-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Get around the swamps or three or four year old slashes. Get away from the road and cow call. Right now should be prime to call them in, next week it will start to taper off and the bull will be less interested in the cows but be looking for food sources. IMHO!

Cordillera
10-04-2011, 09:27 PM
I was with two buddies for 7 days in the last week of September on the BC/Yukon border (region 6). it was a very slow year, most folks there reported one of the slowest ever. no real sign of calling and animals not obviously moving around. We hunted hard and got one on day 7. My animal was coming quietly to a call. So the consensus would be the animals were still in the timber, or holed up in the very thick willow and just hadn't (yet) started moving around enough.

Darksith
10-04-2011, 10:01 PM
They will be very receptive to calling right now, if you cow call all morning and a bull don't answer move to a new spot the next day. Find a swamp in the bottom of a drainage and sit on the hill and call, you'll be surprised at how far away a moose will hear your call and respond and/or come in. Good luck

Beaufortranger
10-04-2011, 10:20 PM
My advice from my own mistakes- dont overcall. The grey beard that taught me to cow call said call,wait 15 mins then call again.Repeat only 4 or five times then wait. Dont answer a call back for at least a half hour and dont overcall. Another thing he said was dont be afraid to really beller loud if you ever here the real cow callin they can be heard for a long ways.

Brizz
10-05-2011, 02:37 PM
not looking for locations, but concepts here. is my thinking correct that due to temps the moose will be higher? is the rut a little later due to temps? i am not afraid of wearing out my boots, i am just looking for points in the right direction of concepts.

In region 8 I saw many many moose at or above 5500 ft, not in swamps. Not to say they aren't in swamps but the area I was in was sub alpine. Oddly enough they were all in very fresh cuts, less than a year old.

Brian011
10-05-2011, 02:51 PM
They are definitely rutting now, I had a draw in 5-2 for oct 1-15, first three days didnt see a thing, no responses from calling, nothing. Then yesterday we went to a different spot, gave out a couple cow calls and instantly a bull came in on the run, grunting and crashing the whole way and I was able to get him.
Just have to keep at it and not get discouraged, try a couple different areas and keep calling, one is bound to answer and come in

champs
10-05-2011, 07:10 PM
cool guys. thanks for the tips. i can't wait for the weekend to get out there and try again!

M.Dean
10-05-2011, 08:13 PM
Maybe try calling in one spot, wait for 15 minutes or so then go to another spot and call, if possible call in 3 or 4 area's, then slowly back track and glass real good, it may work. I use a plastic coffee can with a leather boot lace poked in the center, I wet the lace real good, and do a few grunt calls, then wait and see what it brings in! What I've done also over the years, is be in a good spot before the sun comes up, and hunt until the last second of light in the evenings, and never give up!!! Some Bulls will walk out to a call without making a sound, no grunts, or groan's, not a fart or breaking twigs! Hunt every day like it's the first day of your trip, don't get down on yourself, and again, never give up!!! Good Luck,and were waiting to see the Pic's of your Bull!!!