PDA

View Full Version : Hunting around Dawson Creek

anethema
10-03-2011, 07:00 PM
A buddy is considering a move to Dawson creek for work, but just wanted to get the feedback from people in the area on what it is like up there for hunting? I always hear the north is nice for it, but when looking at the map it looks like it is all private farmland etc.

Looks like you have to go a good ways to even see crown land, and how much of that is good hunting I have no idea.

http://webmaps.gov.bc.ca/imf5/imf.jsp?session=2265875616495825698

Red is private land.

Anyone in the area have any feedback?

anethema
10-04-2011, 07:25 AM
No Dawson creekers around? Tumbler Ridge area maybe ?

twr
10-04-2011, 07:42 AM
i dont think they have internet up there yet.

bear buster
10-04-2011, 08:06 AM
lots of crown land, lots of good hunting, for the private land, just get to know the farmers and ranchers it will open up alot of good area. I can hunt elk, moose, deer, bears, all within 10-45 min crown and private. No internet though...but a whole lot of good hunting lol

lunatic
10-04-2011, 08:12 AM
There is lots of crown land within 30-45 mins or closer. When I lived in Dawson I got my moose in the same area about 20 mins from town on crown land everey year. Head toward Tumbler Ridge and about 40 mins from Dawson it's crown land the entire way and just about any species you want to hunt. Lots of work in the area now. Anyone not working just doesn't want to.

elkdom
10-04-2011, 10:04 AM
not much moose ,elk and deer left around here anymore,,,,

between cold winters(wild game dies from cold temps :? ) wolves, tics, road kill, poachers,

and sustenance hunters, non-resident sport hunters and resident sport

hunters and huntress's ,,,,,, wild game is pretty much EXTINCT !

but FEAR not ! yes there are some jobs to be had and Dawson Creek has an EXCELLENT Food Bank(thanks to road kill) you can probably survive here if you can take the 10 months of winter,,

ps: dont tell a lota people you are from "the Coast" if you are from there ??

Jetboat
10-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Tons of absolutely fantastic hunting opportunities only minutes outta Dawson Cr. Lots of high paying jobs, low priced housing, mild winters and did I mention the awesome hunting? Yup, no reason to go to north as the south Peace has it all.

bridger
10-04-2011, 12:46 PM
be aware that is where they filmed deliverance!

elkdom
10-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Tons of absolutely fantastic hunting opportunities only minutes outta Dawson Cr. Lots of high paying jobs, low priced housing, mild winters and did I mention the awesome hunting? Yup, no reason to go to north as the south Peace has it all.

low priced housing??

50 year old 1 bedroom crack shack = $1500 per month

buy a new 3 bedroom plain Jane home on small lot = $500,000

rent an older 3 bdrm house = $3000 per month

600 square ft, older apt $1500 per month, if YOU can find one available,

decent motel room $175 per night !, BUT sorry!! there isnt ONE available anywhere between Dawson, Tumbler or Chetwynd

yes, lots of cheap accommodation IF your earning $140,000 per year!:?

Jetboat
10-04-2011, 12:54 PM
$140K/yr...isn't that what welder's helpers pull down? Yup, Dawson, Tumbler or Chetwynd is THE place to be :) Nothing north of the Peace is even worth mentioning...;)

Salty
10-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Just camp in the bush its free. Buy all your supplies from Costco on the way up. lol

elkdom
10-04-2011, 12:57 PM
$140K/yr...isn't that what welder's helpers pull down? Yup, Dawson, Tumbler or Chetwynd is THE place to be :) Nothing north of the Peace is even worth mentioning...;)

sorry, welders helper these days are lucky to get $25/$27 an hour

and many long time journeymen welders with all the high pressure/safety/ and interprovincial welding tickets get about $32 an hour,

unless you own your own welding truck and have "the contacts" that is your fate!

Jetboat
10-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Elkdom, it almost seems you are trying to convince folks not to come to your neck of the woods with all the fantastic big game hunting opportunities that abound especially around Tumbler Ridge!

anethema
10-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Ya job would be secured and high paying, but ya not much rental housing by the looks of it. Do you guys have something like castanet where everyone posts their stuff?

moosinaround
10-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Dawson Creek is similar to PG. The animal pops. have really taken a noze dive!! No animals anywhere around!! I would head to the Kooyeneys, or the Okanagan! That is where gods country is! I hear the elk are big in the Okanagan!;) Moosin

anethema
10-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Ya in Reg 8 now, populations aren't that great :D

Are they that much worse in DC ?

d6dan
10-04-2011, 03:51 PM
be aware that is where they filmed deliverance!

I hear banjo's.:shock:.

elkdom
10-04-2011, 04:02 PM
I hear banjo's.:shock:.

you like banjo's ???,,:)

I find them kinda irritating, like accordions and bagpipes,,,:neutral:

elkdom
10-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Elkdom, it almost seems you are trying to convince folks not to come to your neck of the woods with all the fantastic big game hunting opportunities that abound especially around Tumbler Ridge!

tell me about it ! I had to go 160 km south of TR to kill my bull moose this August,,,

but the hunting is much better around TR in last few years,, since all the newfie's were laid off from the mines,,,

with recent renewed mining activity,it will take a few years for all the new-newfies to get to know the all good places to hunt/poach etc :neutral:

Salty
10-04-2011, 04:40 PM
elkdom I'm curious about why you live there.:confused: Everything you post about the DC/Peace area is doom and gloom and negative. Is it really that bad of a life up there? I used to like the area in my visits years back. :)

elkdom
10-04-2011, 04:45 PM
elkdom I'm curious about why you live there.:confused: Everything you post about the DC/Peace area is doom and gloom and negative. Is it really that bad of a life up there? I used to like the area in my visits years back. :)

this a really $hitty place to live,,,,,,,,,,lol

considering if I was GIFTED the most expensive house in the GVA and free property tax and utilities on "condition I live there"

I would tell them to SHOVE IT !:mrgreen:

elkdom
10-04-2011, 04:54 PM
2 reasons basically,,,

1, Hunting and Outdoor activities are BOUNDLESS,,,,,,,,
if you know where and when to go,,

2, I dont know anywhere else I can make $185 per hour ,, on my own terms, and enjoy all the things of line 1 above,, at the same time !

lunatic
10-04-2011, 05:27 PM

Your right......nothing North of the Peace IS worth mentioning! ;)

anethema
10-10-2011, 01:11 PM
How about internet in there? Is there anyone fast/good?

overunder
10-10-2011, 02:18 PM
if your not a poacher or have access to private land or lots of free time good luck, worked up there for a year and a half and not much luck but get out there and get after it.

lunatic
10-10-2011, 03:13 PM
if your not a poacher or have access to private land or lots of free time good luck, worked up there for a year and a half and not much luck but get out there and get after it.

Seriously? If you can't find game around Dawson Creek then you may as well give up hunting!

elkdom
10-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Seriously? If you can't find game around Dawson Creek then you may as well give up hunting!

just "google hunting" all problems of logistics solved IMMEDIATELY,,instant self gratification !

if NO luck in 2 days ?, run a thread,( "all game dead!" ),,,,,,,,killed by tics,wolves,poachers and FN hunters,,,:?