PDA

View Full Version : Morice Lake boat launch

Rotors
10-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Going goat hunting off Morice Lake and I am wondering about what condition the boat launch is, and if anyone has been out there and seen what the water level is, would a guy need a winch or second pickup to get the boat out? I will be using a 18' with 175 sportjet, so the boat is pretty light.

Cheers

argyle1
10-03-2011, 08:22 PM
I haven't been up there since July, but the launch will be fine---the park's cabin at Atna bay was rebuilt 2 yr ago and is really nice

Rotors
10-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks a lot for the info, do you think a guy would need a winch or second truck to pull a boat out?

pete_k
10-03-2011, 08:54 PM
depends on if your using a trailer

Allen50
10-03-2011, 08:55 PM
wow been many years since i hunted moose there, last time there they were logging all the trees, and the moose were not there anymore,, hows the hunting in that area,, just woundering,,

tristanmac
10-04-2011, 06:15 AM
Was there last year boat launch is pretty good, shouldn't have to much of a problem. But why dont you have a winch, a boat trailer generally should have a winch.

decker9
10-04-2011, 01:15 PM
I hunted goats on Morice the fall before last, hiked up from the cabin, boat launch was good, cabin was in excelent shape, just beware of the lake, blows up bad fast, good luck!!

Rotors
10-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I do have a winch on my trailer, I ment a winch on my truck. Thanks for the heads up about the lake, I can imagine it will be a little temperamental being so close to the coast, Im quite used to rough water spend a lot of time on Stuart Lake, and it gets ROUGH.

Hunt-4-Life
02-13-2014, 11:46 AM
Resurrecting an old post, would I be crazy to try Morice lake in a 14 foot aluminum w/ and outboard? My idea would be to camp at the boat launch on night one, cruise the lake close to the west shore at first light (hopefully before it blows up). I'd beach the boat and pull it out once I get to the hiking spot. I'd also bring a small "base camp" to wait out potential weather if the lake is unfriendly when I come back down with my goat. Any ideas? I don't have access to a bigger boat.

two-feet
02-13-2014, 01:11 PM
My theory on big water is you need either a boat big enough to handle it or small enough to be able to pull out. So a 14' should be do-able especially if you have a partner with you.

decker9
02-13-2014, 08:34 PM
The first time I hunted goats on morice we used a 14' open aluminum. It was a very intence ride! We parked at the cabin, when we came off the mountain 5 days later, the lake was in an uproar. We were stuck for 2 days untill the weather passed. You will be ok, just be prepared.
The last trip I went on, we used a full sized 16' aluminum. Was still a seat biting ride! We croozed the west shore line down the lake. I would not recommend the west side!!! There were a few times we would have beached the boat to get off the lake, but the shore line was all straight rock, and not the gravel kind. There was no way we could turn around, so it was on and off the throttle playing every wave all the way to the cabin.

Not trying to detour you at all, just be very prepared! Some amazing goat hunting to be had on morice. The few times iv been out there, iv found that the best time to launch is 4-5 am, seems to be the calmest, when it is calm.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?86769-region-6-goat-hunt&highlight=Region+goat+hunt

^^^ tried posting the link to our last morice goat hunt. If you've never been in that area before, this might give you an idea of the area. Not sure if the link will work or not tho.

Cheers.

Hunt-4-Life
02-13-2014, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the info, I've definately heard that it's best to launch as early as possible, I was thinking about the west side as I figured the mountains would block some of the wind from the coast, but I guess that wouldn't help if the wind is blowing down the lake from the south end. Awesome goat, I've been wanting to do this hunt at this spot for about a year and a half now, hopefully I can swing it this year.

decker9
02-13-2014, 11:29 PM
Good luck on your quest. Defenetly some great goat hunting. If a guy can catch the lake on a clam day, sitting on the opposite shore line glassing across the lake is a good way to hunt it. Iv only hunted the west side. Hiking up from atna bay gets you into some good goat hunting.

Patman7
02-14-2014, 10:00 AM
Does anyone know what the fishing is like? Lake trout, rainbows, any size to them? Thanks, I always wanted to head that way fishing.
Pat

two-feet
02-14-2014, 03:39 PM
Does anyone know what the fishing is like? Lake trout, rainbows, any size to them? Thanks, I always wanted to head that way fishing.
Pat

Fishing is great in Morice. The lake has resident lakers, cut throat, rainbows, bull trout, white fish, etc as well as all the salmon species plus steelhead (seasonally). Many rivers and creeks run into it and the Bulkley//Morice drains out. It is a very rich system.

Patman7
02-14-2014, 04:22 PM
Fishing is great in Morice. The lake has resident lakers, cut throat, rainbows, bull trout, white fish, etc as well as all the salmon species plus steelhead (seasonally). Many rivers and creeks run into it and the Bulkley//Morice drains out. It is a very rich system.

Thanks two-feet, I may retire next year & that would be on my list of places to explore. Take care.
Pat

sobirch
02-14-2014, 06:47 PM
My buddy is a fish guide on Morice Lake. We have camped there the last ten summers. This lake commands a lot of respect and you should only be on it if experienced and prepared for rough open water. Very few bays or any other shelter to seek in rough water. Here is an example of what happens even when prepared.

Tuesday, December 03, 2013 04:06 PM

Houston, B.C. – Searchers braved darkness, frigid temperatures, and strong wind to rescue a stranded trapper on Morice Lake.
Houston RCMP say they received a 911 call from SPOT GPS device at 3:45 Monday afternoon. Police mobilized Houston Search and Rescue and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans to head to the location 85 kilometres southwest of Houston.
After a number of hours, searchers were able to locate the trapper on the shore of the lake. Police say the man had been thrown from his boat by strong waves and was forced to swim to shore. Officials say the man was wet, but otherwise in good health.
"This is a great example of an avid outdoorsman who ran into trouble in the wilderness but had the equipment and clothing to keep himself safe until help arrived," says Sergeant Stephen Rose, the Detachment Commander for the Houston-Granisle Detachment. "Moreover, it demonstrates the tenacity of our Search and Rescue group and the willingness of local residents to help emergency services offer help to someone during their time of need. The willingness of local residents to risk their own lives to save another is outstanding!"
RCMP say the trapper showed his appreciation for the rescue team by sharing his breakfast with them.

I have lots of great pictures if there was a easier way to post them I would. Here is couple to start.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/fishing_buddy.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Bear17.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Boat.jpg

Son of a Birch