PDA

View Full Version : Random beginner questions

reach
10-03-2011, 11:15 AM
I've managed to acquire a PSE Bow Madness XL recently and have been playing around getting it set up. Starting from zero knowledge, of course I have a bunch of questions. Many are answered in archery forums but not everything. Any tips would be appreciated. Sorry in advance for the long rambling questions.

1. Archery groups in PG. I guess if the answer to this one is "yes" then we can disregard all the other questions for now :mrgreen: Are there any informal groups in the Prince George area that get together to fling sticks and BS about bows & setup? I checked the rod & gun club website and they don't seem to have any archery info.

2. Draw weight. I haven't adjusted it myself, but from looking at the limb bolts I think the bow has been backed off from its max of 60#. No idea what it currently is. At its present setting it seems comfortable for me to shoot and the arrows I'm using group well. I think I'm answering my own question here but should I crank it up to the max in order to get it tuned properly and perhaps give better accuracy? Or if I leave it where it is for now, does *everything* have to be retuned (rest, arrows etc.) if I crank it up later, or just the vertical sight position?

3. Arrows. I bought a dozen Easton XX75 2315 shafts based on Easton's selection chart using my assumption of 60# draw weight. I haven't built these yet. I also had 6 2117 arrows kicking around. As a complete newbie I'm very happy with how accurate the 2117s seem to be. Should I stick with the 2117 arrows for now until I crank up the draw weight? I'm thinking the 2315s may be too stiff for the bow as it is right now?

4. Arrow length. I'm tall (6'3") with a positive ape index so I have the bow set to the full 30" draw length. It seems comfortable - I don't feel myself bending backwards, my left arm is not straight etc. Obviously I'll need someone who knows what they're doing to critique me at some point, but I think I'm not that far off. Anyway, given that, is there any point to shortening the arrows the 1 or 2" I could get away with based on my current setup? More generally, how do you decide on the arrow length? Do you go as short as possible for maximum speed? Or do you decide on some desired weight and cut the shaft to match? Or do you tune the arrows based on more technical stuff (oscillation nodes, FOC weight distribution)? I'm guessing for any fancy tuning that would depend heavily on the draw length & draw weight so I should probably just leave everything full length for now until I have some clue what I'm doing?

5. Rest setup. I bought a QAD HDX drop-away rest. It seems to work great. However I'm not 100% sure I have it positioned correctly. There was a D-loop on the string already and I just used that as a reference - nocked an arrow and set the rest so the arrow was square to the string. However that seems slightly low - when the rest drops it is in contact with the shelf. I don't think I have any fletching contact problems - just worried about "correctness" and perhaps extra noise. Is there any harm in moving both the rest and nock point up a bit (less than 1/4") to make sure the rest drops to fully horizontal? The arrow would end up slightly above the marked centreline on the riser.

6. Peep. I can't quite see the outer ring of the sight through the peep. Should I care? I've read some debate about whether to centre the pin or centre the sight ring. The consensus seems to be that centring the sight ring might lead to more consistent form. However I'm plenty happy with my groups so far as a complete newbie. Is it a pain to switch to a larger peep?

I've got lots of other questions about paper tuning, targets, point/broadhead choices, building arrows etc. but that's enough typing for now :-D

Bow Walker
10-03-2011, 05:04 PM
PM Bowzone Mikey and ask if he's got any free time to go over a few things with you.

Great guy and always willing to help.

If he's busy I'll re-visit and answer as best I can.....

willyqbc
10-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Silvertip Archers is the club in P.G., as stated above BZ Mikey can hook you up. If you're willing to travel to Quesnel I would be happy to spend some time getting your set-up squared away.

Chris

Bowzone_Mikey
10-04-2011, 09:59 PM
shoot me a pm .. to remind me ... when I get home and on to a real computer ... My phone is kinda small for serious questions

reach
10-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks guys. I'll see if I can bribe Mikey with some wobbly pops and pick his brain a bit. :-D

Chris, I'm actually heading down to the coast for the long weekend... don't know if I'll have time to stop in Quesnel this trip though. Thanks for the offer.

Bow Walker
10-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Two of the 'good guys' right there - BZM and WillyQBC. You're well on your way with their help.

Bowzone_Mikey
10-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Archery clubs is Silvertip .... our indoor range is the old Austin road elementary school .... up the Hart turn left at the Tim hortons and Save-on-foods ... go to the 4 way stop ... the school is right there beside the firehall
www.silvertiparchers.net
Fridays are open to non members to come and shoot

draw weight .... if you have never touched the bolts .. who knows what the weight is without a scale ... and we dont know if the tiller is even close .... bring it by by and we will get sorted out (I live 2 blocks from indoor range)

Arrows... totally personal preferance ... if you like how they fly and where they land ... then I see no reason to change them ..as for Draw lenth etc .... see last point ... swing by and we'll have a look

Most drop aways contact the riser shelf .... put some mole hair on that if you are concerned about noise ..... when the rest is up ... it should intersect the Berger hole (hole that rest screws into) for a good starting point.

Peep ... what ever floats your boat and makes you consistant .... very easy to change with the right tools.

kind of generic answers .... its hard to give definitive answers without the gear in your hands ....

reach
10-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Archery clubs is Silvertip
Fridays are open to non members to come and shoot
That sounds like fun. I might stop by next week if I'm around.

Most drop aways contact the riser shelf .... put some mole hair on that if you are concerned about noise ..... when the rest is up ... it should intersect the Berger hole (hole that rest screws into) for a good starting point.
Well I tried moving the rest and nock up slightly (about 3 mm?) so the rest drops closer to horizontal. It didn't seem to affect the accuracy. The arrow is now noticeably higher than the centre of the Berger hole (3/16"?) but it still seems to be plenty accurate. I had one Robin Hood today so I'll need to replace one nock :D

Peep ... what ever floats your boat and makes you consistant .... very easy to change with the right tools.
LOL yes there seem to be quite a few "right tools" needed for tweaking bows :-D I think I might look for a larger peep. It would be nice to be able to see the sight ring and bubble level.

I really appreciate your offer to help. I'll PM you next week when I'm back and maybe we can get together. Thanks!