PDA

View Full Version : Electric Socks?

Mikey Rafiki
10-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Anybody own a pair of electric socks?

Looking at getting a pair for my Sasky trip this year. I also do a ton of ice fishing where you usually don't generate much body heat.

Can't find much for reviews on the net.

Thank you kindly for any info.

Call of the Wild
10-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Here’s what you need, heated insoles with battery pack/wall charger from Conforteck a company in Quebec.

Here’s what I suggest:

Kit DUO with heated insoles, at 204$
http://conforteck.ca/xcart/product.php?productid=16144&cat=278&page=1

ConforTeck Energie, at 140$
http://conforteck.ca/xcart/product.php?productid=16146&cat=279&page=1

You can also buy the proper connection at a fair price to connect the insoles in to a cigarette lighter.

It’s not cheap that’s for sure but it does work very well. I use mine when I tree stand hunt whitetail in November, after hunting in some brutal cold weather and freezing my feet I decided to buy those two products. Last year was a cold November in North West Alberta and I had comfortable feet, you have to make sure your boots are not too tight so you can move your toes and to allow blood circulation. The only negative aspect I have to say is the heating element in the insole is rectangular so the feet are not heated all evenly but I’m still very satisfied and suggest them big time for the type of hunt your planning to do in Saskatchewan. It will provide some heat under the arch of each foot.

I researched a lot of products to heat my feet and Conforteck is in my opinion the top. They also have a whole line of product like heating gloves of various kinds, vest and pants.

Mikey Rafiki
10-03-2011, 03:50 PM
^ Looks like I have a little saving up to do, but I would much rather spend a few extra bucks for quality. If I take care of them they should last quite a few years, and pay for themselves in place of the extra batteries for the cheapies or hundreds of hand warmers jammed in my boots.

Again, thank you very much for the speedy advice.

gibblewabble
10-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Everyone I have talked to that have tried electric socks have told me they dont last long 1-2 weeks at best, I buy a case at a time of disposable foot warmers at Costco. I spend most of the winter standing outside in one spot pressure welding and man it sucks, foot warmers are mandatory.

d6dan
10-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Buy yourself some disposable heater pacs for your feet or hands. They work great and use some duck tape to keep them in place..Its a hell of alot cheaper than socks you have to wash.

Van Isle
10-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Lots of 12V-based options by motorcycle gear manufacturers like Gerbing, DUI, or Black Jack (Made on Vancouver Island!) Many more out there. Best bet for batteries would be aftermarket (like ebay) Li-ion battery packs.