PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Moose Hunt

luckofthedraw
10-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Left friday morning for a six day moose/deer hunt that lasted 48 hours!

We had no time to scout, and my uncle had a bull draw. Pulled in friday afternoon, set up camp and drove out for an evening hunt. Could not find a thing. Not even very much sign out there. That night in camp a bear got into our cooler. He managed to escape with a thanksgiving feast!

1 chicken (cooked and seasoned)
1 ham (cooked)
homemade sausage
kabossa sausage
pack of kraft singles
ground beef
burrito mix
stuffing
2 doz cookies
head of lettuce
loaf of bread
english muffins
burrito shells

With a 2/3 of our cooler empty, the worst part was.....he only ate about half of everything, just seemed to drag it into the bush for a taste test and return for more. Aside from the chicken which could not be found. We have camped all over and usually take good care of food and cooler locations. On this particular trip we were in a campground just off a main highway, so didn't imagine any bear trouble.

Saturday was much of the same as friday. Looked over tons of country, numerous cuts that you would think are perfect for holding animals. Very little animal sign, could not even spot a doe. Only 2 grouse,2 bear, and 3 bunnies.....all were very skiddish.

On our saturday evening hunt we ran across some fresh moose track an hour and a half drive from camp. Bull, cow and calf track. About as high up as you could go on the mountain. We had a good look around and couldn't spot anything. We decided to stay put and do some calling until we had no more shooting light. We set up on both sides of a huge cut and started cow calling. We were getting no response so my uncle started to walk up the road behind me, while I stayed put to watch my side of the cut. About 2 minutes went by with my uncle out of sight and.....BOOM! Bull down!

shot at 18:15 with 20 mins of light left. Made for a very long night. Pulled out the next morn and our 6 day hunt turned into a weekender. :mrgreen:

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h345/therealejay/SAM_0678.jpg

Might head out for some deer with the remainder of my days off.

huntingmom
10-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Congratulations on your 'meatball' moose.!! His meat is going to be nice and tender.

I wish my husband would hunt moose like you guys.
I sure could use fresh wild ungulate meat in my freezer instead some 'chemicalized' cow steak that I bought at superstore.

Once again...congratulations and ...ENJOY!!!

PS...By the way...where did you go for your moose excursion??

hillclimber
10-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Congrats on the moose! Sounds like a good trip except for the "bear buffet"

ianwuzhere
10-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Congrats on a nice bull...
Shoulda spend the remaining time of yer hunt bear hunting ;)

10-03-2011, 12:31 PM
You shoulda stayed out there! Gone fishin or something. Or bird hunting or just camping!
Good on ya, I love it when a plan comes togeather. I hope it works out like that for me this year,,,,, T minus 11 days

M.Dean
10-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Congrats on a fine looking Bull! Shits about the bear, but that's how hunting story's get started! It's happened to me twice over the years, I'm a slow learner, I guess!

meathunter
10-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Nice Bull!

d6dan
10-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Good eating bull!. Congrats.. The bear was a bear and was hungry, and your grub tasted better than what was available to him..( should have brought him home too..):mrgreen:

luckofthedraw
10-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Thanks. We were just outside of Barriere. 14 degrees at mid day, too hot to hang him anywhere. It was either cooler him in town for a night or two, or take home. I've re-adjusted the plan.....I'm on my way out for a 2 night deer trip in the morning. :twisted:

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
10-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Nice bull moose. Too bad about the bear eating half of your supply of food.

moose2
10-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Nice moose sounds like it was good you got him quick so you didn't starve lol
Mike

10-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks. We were just outside of Barriere. 14 degrees at mid day, too hot to hang him anywhere. It was either cooler him in town for a night or two, or take home. I've re-adjusted the plan.....I'm on my way out for a 2 night deer trip in the morning. :twisted:

ok, Yer excused!
good luck deer huntin'

luckofthedraw
10-06-2011, 09:08 PM
No luck on the deer hunt. Two solid days of huntin turned up twenty-five does (no joke....i counted), and zero bucks. I was setting up on this fellow, but he only showed up at night.

Wish I'd have been able to run into him!

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h345/therealejay/SAM_0701.jpg