PDA

View Full Version : Quick question for you moose guys

treeclimber
10-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Im hunting now close to Merritt for my any bull draw. Havent seen any moose yet but for the past 3 days Ive been hearing cows calling from this one chunk of bush. Just curious if she would call if she had a bull with her? Two or three weeks ago I saw bulls in this spot. Thanks for the info.

madrona sh
10-02-2011, 08:52 PM
Maybe it's other hunters cow calling and wondering the same thing you are?

Jelvis
10-02-2011, 09:12 PM
When a hot cow calls the bulls hear big time, she's hot to trot, wailing for some big bull to copulate with at this moment in time, (the moose rut).
She wants a bull and is calling for one to come on over big fella.
Now in the area surrounding this big cow who is really looking for Mr. Right and calling out with long moans and groans mixed with sniffs and snorts.
The bulls are moving in around her, could be a three point bull going frantic raking bushes apart while planning a route in, then another bull coming in a 5 point mature local fella going to the lonely girl. Now wait another one a spike/fork he's all bug eyed and trembling not knowing what is going on?
You must be near a creek or wet meadow where these encounters with giant moose take place. Those bulls could take an hour moving in.
Jelly Swamp Doctor .. Bulls all around her moving in for some lovin ..
They all can't be Mr. Right but they can be her Mister Tonight .. Cow's callin whaaa.

sparkes3
10-02-2011, 09:34 PM
find the girls and the boys will be close behind

TheProvider
10-02-2011, 09:43 PM
x2 @ sparkes but beware of madrona... I remember hearing a turkey story of a hunter hearing gobbles every weekend in the same neck of the woods, once the turkey season opened and after two days of hunting and hearing the tom gobble but not come in the hunter finally hiked over the ridge and followed the sound of the gobbles to a near by farm where the tom was in a pen :D Could be hunters. I'm sure either way if you keep at that area you'll find out

moosecaller
10-02-2011, 09:54 PM
A cow will not normally call once she has been picked up by a mature bull, if a young bull is harassing her she will continue to call but it will be an annoyed call shorter and less mournful/wanting than her call looking for a mate. Hope this helps you need to hear the calls to tell them apart.

BiG Boar
10-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Cows call to say, I want tO get rid of this small bull that is pestering me. Should be a bull, but more likely a hunter.

Jelvis
10-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Calf calls are good to, all moose respond to a wayling calf, the big bulls think the calf is being harassed by a bull chasin momma and the little one starts to bawl.
Jel .. Moose talk and body language .. audible and visual .. high pitch Whaaaaaaaaaaaa
up to ten seconds or more KaPOW! WHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
like a baby crying, high pitch and change the pitch up and down very slightly ....
calf crying like a little baby Whaaaaaaaaaa whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

CanuckShooter
10-03-2011, 07:08 AM
A cow will not normally call once she has been picked up by a mature bull, if a young bull is harassing her she will continue to call but it will be an annoyed call shorter and less mournful/wanting than her call looking for a mate. Hope this helps you need to hear the calls to tell them apart.

X2...good call!!