PDA

View Full Version : How to glass a field?

Haagen_Dazs
10-02-2011, 05:28 PM
So I just came back from my first day hunting with a buddy who doesnt hunt.

My rifle scope is 8-32x56 (I bought it for targets, want to hunt now). I cant do mych but glass a field.

What I'd like to know is how! Im not sure exactly what I did today but it didn't work... I set up on a slope, waited for 2 hours, then reloacted to another slope and waited another 2 hours, then had to go home.

Thanks!

cainer
10-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Sounds like you got it right. Sometimes the deer just arent there to see. I do the same- find the best vantage point and sit and glass til I get bored- then move on. Not sayin it's right, but it seems to work. Keep at it!

bigwhiteys
10-02-2011, 05:38 PM
How to glass a field?

So I just came back from my first
day hunting with a buddy who doesnt hunt.

My rifle scope is 8-32x56 (I
bought it for targets, want to hunt now). I cant do mych but glass a
field.

What I'd like to know is how! Im not sure exactly what I did
today but it didn't work... I set up on a slope, waited for 2 hours, then
reloacted to another slope and waited another 2 hours, then had to go
home.

Thanks!

Not really sure what you're getting at? You want to glass the field with your scope? you still hunted for 4 hours and saw nothing? What are you hunting?

What specifically do you need to learn how to do? Still hunting can be boring as f-ck sometimes so don't feel too discouraged.

Carl

cainer
10-02-2011, 05:46 PM
I assumed you meant glass with your binos. And if not you might want to rethink glassing wih your scope.

RoscoeP
10-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Please use binos, sometimes people come into the picture. The scope is for making the shot. Cheers Roscoe

Bow Walker
10-02-2011, 05:55 PM
X 2 on what RoscoeP just said.

Plus, I'd either sell that scope and get a proper(?) one for hunting or save a few schekels (like $210) and buy a http://www.grouseriver.com/Vortex_Diamondback_3_9x40_Riflescope_p/opt-000057.htm (http://http//www.grouseriver.com/Vortex_Diamondback_3_9x40_Riflescope_p/opt-000057.htm)

Put that honkin' big scope on a proper target rifle.....

You could always buy some of these http://www.grouseriver.com/Vortex_10x50_Diamondback_p/opt-000285.htm

......and then start by dividing the 'field' into manageable pieces or sections, then carefully and slowly glass each section before moving on to the next. Don't forget to look at the areas you are glassing with your naked eye every once in a while - you'd be amazed at how easy it is to spot a flicker of movement with the naked eye.......

Haagen_Dazs
10-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Sorry I wasnt clear on the first post, yeah Ive got binos and I've also got a Vortex scope in the mail.

I was just wondering how long people stay stationary before relocating. There are only a few good clearcuts and its quite a hike to get around them. Managed to catch a black bear by suprise though, he marched out of the woods 20 feet to our right. If only I had a bear tag... I'm assuming they're not refundable though.

RoscoeP
10-02-2011, 08:13 PM
If I find a location that I like the look of I usually will sit from before first light to 9:30 -10:00 am and for the evening hunt from 3:30/4:00ish until end of legal shooting light. Usually do some poking around the in between time as well as lunch etc. I know it can be boring to some but patience does pay off. Even the days I deceide to walk, I don't cover lots of miles but walk slow, stopping alot and glassing even more. Some mornings you can hardly wait for the sun to shine on you you are so cold. Bino's really help and what may appear as barren landscape may have game standing there. You usually spot game if it is moving but carefull glassing will help you spot the ones in brush, tall grass just standing there.
Look for horizontal lines(ie:top of deers back) most of nature is vertical, trees etc. Cheers Roscoe, Goodluck!

Haagen_Dazs
10-03-2011, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the advice! Now I need to find a use of the middle of the day.

Bow Walker
10-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the advice! Now I need to find a use of the middle of the day.

Having a nap is a good thing......

RoscoeP
10-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Having a nap is a good thing......
X2 on that one!

huntermike
10-03-2011, 02:26 PM
I uaually push the tops of the cuts during the day,I hunt all day and have shot deer in the middle of the day.They are where you find them ,which could be anywhere any time of the day!

new hunter
10-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Last time I went out I sat out til 11, then walked a trail I knew of until 3. Didn't see jack shit , but that doesn't mean I'm not going out this weekend .

gibblewabble
10-03-2011, 05:35 PM
I have shot numerous deer between 11am and 1 pm over the years, some believe that the deer pattern us (I do) and its nice and quiet around that time. If it was easy it would be called shopping and sometimes you dont see squat. Glass an area and then glass it again, if in doubt glass again. You should spend the majority of time behind your glass and sometimes its just the twitch of an ear that gives em away.

Bow Walker
10-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Mid day is also a good time to 'scout' a different area for the next day's hunt.

Or - be like Fisherdude and do some road hunting.......

Livewire322
10-04-2011, 05:17 PM
ive sat for up to 3 hours when coyote hunting called 2 in earlier this year...

Night Hawk 3
10-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Here's some basic advice: deer do most of their moving from feeding areas to bedding areas in the time surrounding first light. They move from bedding or holding areas to feeding areas at last light. In the mid-morning and mid-afternoon they are active again for a period of time, and will also wander throughout the day in areas that offer cover. They will bed down and hold up in cover or even open areas depending on rain, wind, and other factors. I see lots and lots of deer movement just inside the forest margins during the day time when I am close to feeding areas - but you must move incredibly slowly and quietly (eg: while bow hunting).

As for glassing - don't skyline yourself. Don't move much, don't make much noise. Firstly use your eyes to spot an area, then get in there with the binos and really give it a good going over. You are not looking for a whole deer, you're looking for parts of a deer; perhaps an antler, or a piece of ear sticking up, or a tail flicking.

A moving hunter is very much less likely to see a stationary deer, and when you're moving you will stick out like a giant noisy beacon to a typical deer.

Do Not use a riflescope for spotting!!

NH3

Trapper D
10-21-2011, 07:05 PM
i have success by moving, and keep moving , through the slash through the forest, their grouped up right now in my area , so its hit or miss, but if you see does sit tight, cause the bucks arent to far away. I try to stay cross wind to them as i seem to see bucks come from downwind to the does in the slash im not to concerned about noise, but i am about wind direction. but keeping an eye on the perimeters your in. im quieter when im in the forest. this works for me every year.