PDA

View Full Version : Best place to shoot a skunk?

knockturnal
10-02-2011, 03:13 PM
I'm not talking about location, I mean body. I have a skunk patrolling my neighbourhood and it stunk it up pretty good last Friday. I've seen him in Behind my place and since I can't use a gun, I was going to shoot him with my bow the next time he ventures onto my property. Is there a good place to shoot them so they don't spray all over the place? Or am I screwed? Especially since I have to use a bow.

elkdom
10-02-2011, 03:21 PM
shoot them from far,far away,,,,

wos
10-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Unfortunately I have to much experience with shooting those little *******s. A clean head shot and they usually don't spray. But if they don't drop like a sack of spuds run!

Caveman
10-02-2011, 04:38 PM
shoot them from far,far away,,,,

X2!!!:mrgreen::icon_frow

Bowzone_Mikey
10-02-2011, 04:55 PM
head shot or boiler room .... the stink sack is in the guts .... plow him where you would normally shoot something for a quick clean kill and you will ok .... Try for a perfect broadside shot ... 1/4 away or 1/4 to you have a great chance to get stinky

35 Whelen
10-02-2011, 05:15 PM
I head shot one with a 12 gauge about 5 feet from one....shooting down onto the top of the head....it sprayed like nothing I have ever smelled. Made me gag, and I don't do that with regular skunk smell.

snareman1234
10-02-2011, 05:21 PM
I trapped for a few years, we learned to shoot them in lungs, and sometimes they wouldnt spray....they will spray with a headshot!

I have shot some in lungs that didnt spray, but some did, it was a toss up.

I think glands are on either side of ass?

Peter Pepper
10-02-2011, 06:20 PM
the best place to shoot a skunk is in your neighbors yard

BimmerBob
10-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Hold it's tail down before you shoot it and it won't spray...

SUAFOYT
10-02-2011, 07:09 PM
the best place to shoot a skunk is in your neighbors yard

I'd vote for FD's basement.

shantz
10-02-2011, 08:48 PM
We used to trap them using a piece of stove pipe, a nail and some sardines but not sure about doing it in a neighborhood with domestic animals around.

Deer_Slayer
10-02-2011, 09:03 PM
better to buy a live catch trap..get the one with the easy release mechanism. Set trap in evening. Don't use fish or cat food etc or you will catch cats.When you catch skunk approach slowly with an old bed sheet or something that can fully cover cage...I use a long pole to drape sheet over cage. Once you have cage covered gently pick up cage and put in your pickup and drive skunk out into the bush and release it. Use grape jelly as bait. If you shoot skunk it will release it's full compliment of goo and stink up your yard. Usually once skunk is trapped it will curl up in a ball and go to sleep in cage when daylight comes. Let me know how you make out...or call a pest control company in your area....cheers from Mantis Pest Control.

anglo-saxon
10-02-2011, 09:32 PM
They've always sprayed when shot in my experience. Best bet is a skunk trap to catch them live then drown them (works on ferel cats, too).

jamfarm
10-02-2011, 10:16 PM
I trapped a couple skunks this year cause they like the beehives in my backyard. Since it was the first time I trapped a skunk I was concerned that they would spray but I had the traps covered so they didn't see me when I approached to move the trap into the back of my truck. I released them a number of km's away and they didn't spray when I released them either. After trapping and releasing two successfully I wouldn't try killing them, it seems too risky in that they might spray. I'd recommend getting a trap, probably cheaper than calling a pest control company.

winchester284
10-02-2011, 10:38 PM
A little known fact is that a skunk's hind legs need to be braced firmly against the ground in order for it to be able to spray..... By lifting the skunk up by the tail you actually take away it's ability to spray.

Rather than shooting the skunk, just lift it by the tail and hit it over the head with a stick!

Big Lew
10-03-2011, 07:16 AM
A little known fact is that a skunk's hind legs need to be braced firmly against the ground in order for it to be able to spray..... By lifting the skunk up by the tail you actually take away it's ability to spray.

Rather than shooting the skunk, just lift it by the tail and hit it over the head with a stick!
Nice try! I gotta see this...from a long distance away, and up-wind!

Ltbullken
10-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Right up it's greasy ass from short range!! :-P

Wheelin Sportsman
10-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Id heard that shooting a skunk stone dead while its tail was down would prevent spray..tried it once and it worked. Could of been a fluke thing though

Ruger4
10-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Just take her back to the OK Corral where ya found her Matt :wink:

Blair
10-03-2011, 11:18 AM
When I was a kid, we found a skunk in my uncle's mechanic's pit in his barn after the dogs had chased it and it fell in there during the night. It hadn't sprayed. I guess they don't spray when in a confined space. My uncle showed us how to take a piece of large diameter wire and make a corkskrew with one end. He then reached down and screwed it into the skunk's tail and picked it up. I guess they can't spray when picked up by the tail. He put it (carefully) into a large pail and we filled it with water through a hole in the top and drowned him. My cousin and I then skinned it out. No stink until the last bit of skin was cut free and the body dropped to the floor and the sac emptied. We had to burn our clothes after that.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Where ever you shoot it, just make sure you have someone videoing the action:-D

SUAFOYT
10-03-2011, 06:01 PM

Yeah OK then I think I'll wait for YOUR you tube vid showing that before I try it.

Pete
10-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Hire sombody who knows what they are doing and have had the experience and have dealt with skunks before. Skunks are harmless. They will eat just about everything. They are more effective than a Cat when it comes to catching mice. They eat snakes love those big black juice Beetles. They go about thier business and just want to be left alone. Just because he walks through your yard does not mean that he is out to get you. Your dog gets hit because he has no manners and charges him... ooops mistake. My best year I took 143 skunks. did I get sprayed???? yep you bet got a little to hasty and too rough and he let me know. Shooting him is not the way to go especially with a Bow. Hire someone that know what they are doing.

Big Lew
10-03-2011, 07:15 PM
I whole heartedly agree with "Pete". Skunks do a lot of good, are not mischievous or destructive like raccoons, and they just want to be left alone so they can quietly and inconspicuously go about their business.

The Dude
10-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Watch this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8
Laugh your ass off.
Insert the word "skunk" where "cat" is used, and "spray" where "piss" is used".
Make hilarious skunk video.
Post hilarious skunk video here.
Watch us laugh our asses off at your video.
Become HBC God.

Rodd
10-04-2011, 11:22 AM
I usually trap and shoot about 10-30 a year... I use a live trap, and place it far away from my house, once a skunk is caught, I sneak up with the Ruger 10-22 and shoot it down through the top of its head just above the eyes... usually drops instantly, I then run up and drag the trap to my skunk graveyard and dump him in the hole and cover it with dirt... Sometimes they leak a little but its never been outrageous... I live out in a rural area, and can shoot in my yard... Be carefull if your going to load him up in your truck alive... Covered or not they can and sometimes do spray! I know a lady who uses a small live trap, one just big enough for the animal to get into, and once they are trapped in this trap it is unable to lift its tail to spray.... So she says... My trap is big enough to catch a beaver, and leaves ample room for them to spray if they desire... my 2 cents worth... I hate them damn things!!! I've cleaned several dogs that were on the recieving end of a spray....

Islandeer
10-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Hmmmm, at your buddies place ....