PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else gearing-up for indoor season?

Grantmac
10-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Indoor is officially starting in November here.
I dusted off my aluminums and light limbs last week, shot a 508 double 18m FITA to start (which is pretty darn good for me). Then on Friday shot a 519 with the second set on a 3-spot target, really happy with that score. I'm aiming to break 260 for 18m FITA and hopefully a 270 for NFAA this year.

I should note this is with NFAA traditional gear.

So who else is getting ready?

-Grant

Bow Walker
10-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Nothing organized down here on the South end of the rock, as far as indoor archery is concerned - unless you count the old Vic Bowmen drop-in nights at one of the local schools.

Too bad really. We could sure use a venue for some Vegas-style shooting, and maybe we'd be lucky enough to have the number of shooters that would come out regularly so that we could organize some leagues.

I know, I know......wake up, I'm dreaming again.

Jonas111
10-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Yeah I am pretty excited, our league starts on Wednesday. My goal for this season is to post a couple 300 rounds. I was close last year but this year is the year to break through.

Grantmac
10-04-2011, 12:21 AM
Nothing organized down here on the South end of the rock, as far as indoor archery is concerned - unless you count the old Vic Bowmen drop-in nights at one of the local schools.

Too bad really. We could sure use a venue for some Vegas-style shooting, and maybe we'd be lucky enough to have the number of shooters that would come out regularly so that we could organize some leagues.

I know, I know......wake up, I'm dreaming again.

A bunch of people did the mail-in at Cowichan last year, I don't think they ran a specific night though.
I'm fortunate that here on Whidbey (where I am most of the time) we shoot a Fita mail in and later in the year an NFAA blueface mail in.

Then of course there are the state championships for both. I will probably do the mail in and if my schedule allows perhaps the in-person championship, look at last years scores I might place in Trad class.

-Grant

Bow Walker
10-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Some of the archers here on HBC did an informal 3-spot shoot a couple years ago, over the winter. I think Bowzone Mikey accepted the "mail-in" scores for the week and posted them up. It was fun, it got us out shooting when we otherwise might not have, and it sure helped with muscle memory when we might be forgetting, during the off season.

The shooters had a week to complete a "scored" 300 Round and email/PM Mikey the results. Targets were easily printed from a link here on this archery club's website - http://www.huntsvillearcheryclub.com/ - the link is on the right-hand side (in red) under "Free Software". It's called "X Print". Great for printing targets on 8.5 x 11 paper.

Ruger4
10-06-2011, 06:20 AM
we started league night last night , last minute bow prep and a little rusty but fun to get back out for sure :mrgreen:

Grantmac
10-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Some of the archers here on HBC did an informal 3-spot shoot a couple years ago, over the winter. I think Bowzone Mikey accepted the "mail-in" scores for the week and posted them up. It was fun, it got us out shooting when we otherwise might not have, and it sure helped with muscle memory when we might be forgetting, during the off season.

The shooters had a week to complete a "scored" 300 Round and email/PM Mikey the results. Targets were easily printed from a link here on this archery club's website - http://www.huntsvillearcheryclub.com/ - the link is on the right-hand side (in red) under "Free Software". It's called "X Print". Great for printing targets on 8.5 x 11 paper.

Our club keeps stock in FITA and NFAA indoor targets. Which one was he using?
I would definitely do a mail-in this winter. Of course there aren't a lot of barebow/trad recurvers shooting indoor.

I'm going to need new goals though. Shot a 271 NFAA and 260 FITA already, now if I could just do it consistently in competition I could own the 2-day FITA state record.

-Grant

Bow Walker
10-06-2011, 11:05 AM
I used the Vegas 3-spot and printed one spot off for each page - this gave me the 10X, and the next rings out to the 7-ring. After that - well, it's a pretty poor shot if you're out that far, especially from 18 meters.

I was paying with 300 rounds and putting the 3 sheets of paper up to shoot at worked out very well. Great practice.

Grantmac
10-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Most of the Trad guys shoot the 1 spot target, keeps the muscle memory all the same and gives you a chance at saving some points on a really poor shot.
The NFAA "blueface" is a much easier target being the same size but X, 5-1 scoring.

-Grant

Bow Walker
10-07-2011, 10:56 AM
For us compound shooters (or those shooters who use sights) using only one target makes the risk of hitting your arrows too great to be practical. The Vegas-style targets offer an unobstructed X-spot for each shot. Supposedly we're good enough to be hitting it on almost every shot....or near enough as to cause problems for the arrow(s) already in the target.

Plus, there is the probability of a glancing hit to the arrow in the target that will cause a deflection out of the 10-ring. Not a good thing when it comes down to the number of X's to determine a winner.

Not saying I'm that good - but there are plenty of others who are.......

Grantmac
10-07-2011, 10:53 PM
I'm right on the borderline between shooting the 3/5 spot and the fullsized target. On good days I am rattling shafts consistently and noticing a few nicks on the bushings, but shooting the spots on a bad day can be a real confidence destroyer. I have shot a few of my best ends on the multi-spot targets though.
I use a point-on aiming system indoors, so long as I keep my form completely consistent its nearly like shooting a sight.
Many recurve guys shoot skinny arrows indoors so they can fit more of them in the bull, but nobody makes a long enough ICS or skinnier arrow to shoot my aiming system. Plus hooking a few lines is nice, even if getting the wide ones flying right is a pain ;)

-Grant

BlackwaterHunter
10-22-2011, 09:26 AM
My goal is to get my 300 olympian score (JOP) already got my 295 just need a round of 300 in a tourny!

Jonas111
10-25-2011, 08:32 PM
We have shot two league nights so far and I shot a 294 and 295. I am not shooting enough to get my 300 and our league is every other week which makes it hard to not be rusty.

Good luck with your 300.

Grantmac
10-25-2011, 11:22 PM
Shot a 270 FITA a few weeks back. Thats pretty darn hot for barebow recurve, if I could do it back-to-back in competition I'd own the WA state 2-day record. About 5 points a game down on the Canadian record.
I think this year will be building-up and getting some experience, next year I'll make the time to shoot all of the competitions. Unfortunately WA shoots the indoor FITA in mid-November so there isn't much time for preparing.

-Grant

Jonas111
10-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Shot a 270 FITA a few weeks back. Thats pretty darn hot for barebow recurve, if I could do it back-to-back in competition I'd own the WA state 2-day record. About 5 points a game down on the Canadian record.
I think this year will be building-up and getting some experience, next year I'll make the time to shoot all of the competitions. Unfortunately WA shoots the indoor FITA in mid-November so there isn't much time for preparing.

-Grant

That's some awesome shooting.

Ruger4
10-27-2011, 06:24 AM
[QUOTE=Jonas111;1003608] We have shot two league nights so far and I shot a 294 and 295. I am not shooting enough to get my 300................. [Quote]

you'll get there..............

Jonas111
10-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Thanks Ruger. You too buddy.

Ruger4
10-31-2011, 07:04 AM
We could sure use a venue for some Vegas-style shooting, and maybe we'd be lucky enough to have the number of shooters that would come out regularly so that we could organize some leagues.

I agree, a venue that's flexible and willing to accomadate all that want to shoot would be great. Theres alot of great shooters around but some clubs can only accomadate a limited number of shooters designated to specific nights and times due to club schedules. If I had Jonas111's money I'd build an archery centre !!!

Bow Walker
10-31-2011, 09:54 AM
Yeah, but Kelowna is a bit far to go for an evening's shoot.

If this lotto ticket in my back pocket is the winner I'll be building a shooting center - much like a bowling alley but for archery.

I can see it now......

Jonas111
10-31-2011, 04:40 PM
I agree, a venue that's flexible and willing to accomadate all that want to shoot would be great. Theres alot of great shooters around but some clubs can only accomadate a limited number of shooters designated to specific nights and times due to club schedules. If I had Jonas111's money I'd build an archery centre !!!

Your so funny Ruger4, If I had your money I would burn mine.

Plus I am on the FREEDOM 95 Plan right now.

Grantmac
11-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Been too busy for much shooting the last couple of weeks. I've done some work to my tab that is making my anchor and loose a lot more relaxed so I will see how that translates into actual shooting sometime this week.
League night down here should be starting up pretty soon. It'll be interesting if I can keep posting these numbers shooting in a croud.

-Grant

Jonas111
11-04-2011, 06:33 PM
My first three league nights were 294 - 295 - 295. If not anything I am consistent. Lol.

My first 300 is going to be hard.

Ruger4
11-08-2011, 05:57 PM
298 is a best for me , makes you appreciate these guys that are banging off 300's one after the next
need and wanna practice a whole bunch more before headin south in Feb

Jonas111
11-08-2011, 08:44 PM
I hear you there. My best score was a 299 in peachland one night. It sure makes the 300 with 26x look so far out of reach.

I watched the shoot off a couple years ago and Reo and his opponent had to hit the X or they were out. Went something like 12 rounds before one guy missed. Now that's amazing.

Nobody
11-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Stay in the moment and forget about score. Scoring isn't everything.....it's about the journey big guy. The amount that you score is in direct relation to the quality of the journey.

Jonas111
11-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Stay in the moment and forget about score. Scoring isn't everything.....it's about the journey big guy. The amount that you score is in direct relation to the quality of the journey.

Thanks for that. Its always good to hear that. Its so true.

The main thing is I enjoy this sport and score is a goal but the REAL goal is to have repetitive release and consistent shot sequence. Once I get where I need to be the score should be the least of my worries. Repeating the process over and over and not missing the X is my ultimate goal. Almost like a habit.

Nobody
11-12-2011, 09:35 AM
In psychology, the term used for our training process is called systematic desensitization. It is like a roller coaster...... if you've never been on one, the first trip will light you up inside but as you take that same ride time after time....day after day, it soon will become easy and even to the point of boring if you let it. You must still keep it in the fun mode.

There is no question in my mind that you will achieve your goal of shooting a 300, but to achieve this, you must only trust in your process each and every shot and not let your score interfear with that process. Part of your desensitization is to get the self-induced pressure of the score out of your shot making process and, just like the roller coaster, learn to enjoy the ride.

Amatures practice untill they get it right.......but professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

Enjoy the holiday

RoscoeP
11-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Similar to golf, I remember the first time I broke 100 then 90 and finally 80 standing on the 18th tee you are thinking, I need par or no worse than bogey or what ever to make it and it puts more pressure on doing it. Sometimes better to not even keep track and just concentrate on the next shot. Dought I will ever break 70, but maybe break 76 which I beleive is my lowest score. Still pretty new to the archery scene, not to worried about the scores right now, just having alot of fun, small club shoot tomorrow then burgers and hotdogs. Cheers Roscoe

Nobody
11-13-2011, 11:49 AM
You got it right............now git-er-done then have a burger for me.