PDA

View Full Version : ELK leh! vs newby hunter

newhunter160
09-13-2006, 04:38 PM
I finally got a draw! I drew a bull elk for the Christina Lake / Grand Forks area and am really hoping to be successful. It is a big area and I really have no clue where to start looking. Can anyone point me to someone who knows the area?. I am going to make a quick 4 day backpack trip this weekend, and if not successful head back up in early October. Up till now I have never actually been able to get a shot off at an animal (in 3 years). Now I get this draw which apparently is very hard to get....... now what? I would love this to be the ulitmate first harvest!

looking forward to your helpful replies,
Rob

mapguy
09-13-2006, 04:46 PM
gable mtn is supposed to have elk ive been told its shot out though

Rainwater
09-13-2006, 04:50 PM
Head up the Blueberry past Christina Lake until you see the shed (on the left) where the highways dept. keeps there sand and salt. Just to the left of the shed there is a tiny hidden road that will take you on top of that hill and comes out way up at the Paulsen Bridge. I have seen trees ripped out of the ground by bulls up there and have also seen bulls right at that gravel pit but usually in the dark. That's all I can tell you. Good Luck.

todbartell
09-13-2006, 06:16 PM
gable mtn is supposed to have elk ive been told its shot out though

ox‧y‧mo‧ron

Jelvis
09-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Congratulations on your successful elk draw 160, thats a heck of a draw, you lucky hunter, ah what does it say on it, whats the MU, is it any bull or whatever and valid dates. Is there an area within an area like A or B Quite curious to see how it was typed up if you don't mind. Good luck with your exciting quest. Jel at the Loops

palmer
09-13-2006, 09:58 PM
I finally got a draw! I drew a bull elk for the Christina Lake / Grand Forks area and am really hoping to be successful. It is a big area and I really have no clue where to start looking. Can anyone point me to someone who knows the area?. I am going to make a quick 4 day backpack trip this weekend, and if not successful head back up in early October. Up till now I have never actually been able to get a shot off at an animal (in 3 years). Now I get this draw which apparently is very hard to get....... now what? I would love this to be the ulitmate first harvest!

looking forward to your helpful replies,
Rob

You want to hunt between fife and santa rosa...try maida CK on fife and trout creek on santa rosa...forget the paulson and josh creek its a gong show...both of these are in CL...if you want to hunt GF then go up the grandy and hunt the second repeat second burns lake rd...go just past burns lake...If you let me know when you are coming through ...we can hook up and i'll point out a few spots on the map....lots of Elk here..
good luck

Palmer
PS...Km 14 of stewart ck...take the rd on the up side...check out that rub about 100 meters in...must be 8 ft tall....

palmer
09-13-2006, 10:03 PM
Head up the Blueberry past Christina Lake until you see the shed (on the left) where the highways dept. keeps there sand and salt. Just to the left of the shed there is a tiny hidden road that will take you on top of that hill and comes out way up at the Paulsen Bridge. I have seen trees ripped out of the ground by bulls up there and have also seen bulls right at that gravel pit but usually in the dark. That's all I can tell you. Good Luck.

Rainwater...you must not have been past in awhile....new logging rd now and its hunted like crazy....you are right it was a great way to get into the back of the texas creek drainage...but now its a super highway...and goes back about 50 km...its called josh creek...
cheers Palmer

Freshtracks
09-13-2006, 11:35 PM
Congrats on pulling the draw. My son got it in 01, hunted hard for a week .. seen a 6x6 the last morning breifly before he melted into the timber. Buddy pulled the draw the following year and took a 6x6. Best time seems to be last week of October, first week of Nov. Trick is finding them. Buddy tried heading up opening day on his draw ... to hot and little game. Good luck ... listen to Plamer. ;)

Rainwater
09-14-2006, 09:43 AM
Your right I haven't been up for probably 10 years. I don't notice a big logging road down by the gravel pit though. Does it come in from the Paulsen bridge? Thanks for straightening me out however. That WAS good up there!

newhunter160
09-14-2006, 07:03 PM
John, Rain, Firebird, Jelvis, Palmer, Freshtracks! Hay guys, thanks for all the tips, I got the draw for 3 point or better in area 8-15 (sept 10 to Nov 15) a guy I work with was there last year for opening but it was way too hot. The weather apparently has been very hot and dry this year, but is changing as I type, may drop to zero up high? really looking forward to this trip, and if not sucessful have more time mid October to get back up there.

4blade
09-14-2006, 08:01 PM
we had snow today up high , yes i said snow ,down to 5 tonight ,good luck guys ,i,m still playing the LEH lottery waiting for that elusive elk draw.

newhunter160
09-15-2006, 09:48 PM
snow is a good thing right? When is "The Rut?" would it already have started or will this colder weather "set it off?" and be in full swing come monday, tuesday?. leaving tomorrow afternoon to CL and am stoked, can hardly sleep!