PDA

View Full Version : in need of salmon steak recipes

huntingmom
10-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Hi.....I just wondering if anybody has any good, but, easy recipes for cooking salmon steaks. We don't have a smoker and hubby does not like to fillet them. My girls and I are sick and tired of using hollandiase sauce on them. So...if anybody can share some yummy recipes will be appreciated.:-D

NaStY
10-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Well I cut mine up into "fish sticks" roll them in flour and seasoning. Fry them in butter on med heat and right at the end I add a few dash's of soyo sauce and serve on a bed of long grain white rice. hmmm makes my mouth water just typing it......

RJ
10-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Cut up some garlic, and sundried tomatoes. Spread a bit on top with some olive oil. Mmmmm

Spampy
10-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Try BBQ. I use olive oil, a little soya and Spicy Pepper Medley. That's it.
Just BBQ it on Aluminum foil. Add a stick of cedar in one corner to add a little smoke flavour.
Spicy Pepper Medley can be found in the grocery store. I put that &%* on everything.

winchester284
10-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Mayo and salmon goes well together. Coat the salmon with a mixture of pre-cooked onions and garlic and fresh fried bacon bits in with the mayo, then barbeque or cook in the oven.

Another sauce we like on fresh barbequed salmon is a mayo sauce with dijon mustard mixed in along with salt & pepper. (just realized it would probably taste similar to hollandaise)...

Also try coating the salmon with terriyaki sauce then barbeque.

huntingmom
10-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Thanks guys.....I will certianley try them all.

GoatGuy
10-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Here's a decent marinade

1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 cup rye whiskey
1 tablespoon molasses
1/2 cup oil
2 tablespoon soy
1 tablespoon pepper
2 cloves garlic

eatmeathuntmoose
10-02-2011, 09:37 AM
the one with brown sugar and whiskey is good!

Chiron
10-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Our go to recipe for salmon on the BBQ is a maple-balsamic-citrus glaze.

http://www.mealsforyou.com/cgi-bin/recipe?id.2942

Bow Walker
10-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Just had some last night......I dusted them with "No-Salt" Lemon Herb seasoning and then drizzled them with fresh squeezed lemon juice.

Bake or BBQ until medium and enjoy.

tristanmac
10-02-2011, 10:18 AM
soy sauce, hot sauce, BBQ sauce, dijon mustard, mix it up, marinade anything with it. freaking awesome.

GoatGuy
10-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Garlic, ginger, soy, brown sugar and oil is another quick and easy. Like to add some chili flakes or a form of spice to it as well.

Islandeer
10-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Mayo,brown suger,bit of soy,bit of dill, don't over cook and put on the fish after the flip and right at the last 2 mins of cooking. killer.

Cougar Bait
10-03-2011, 12:58 PM
I got one like Goat Guys recipe that I love for beef or fish steaks
Marinade in (per steak up the recipe for every additional steak)

1 table spoon of brown sugar
1/2 table spoon of vegetable oil
1 table spoon soy sauce
1/4 spoon black pepper

mix it up and paste on steaks
let em soak for minimum an hour usually 2-3
then cook on the bbq or in oven.

If you like to preserve the fish flavour cook like a fillet with just
Butter (not margarine),
Dill

My wife likes to add a bit of either pepper, or seasoning salt, or garlic powder from time to time.

Cookie-kid
10-22-2011, 04:59 PM
here is an asian inspire that was an instant hit @ my wedding reception: I cooked for it myself. BLEW PEOPLE'S MINDS!

mix a 1/4 cup Hoy Sin Sauce, 1/4 cup Sweet Thai Chili sauce, 3 minced garlic cloves & 2 tbsp. Soy sauce. Put your steaks into ur baking pan (i used a square cake pan, foil wrapped) brush this onto all sides of the steaks, rough chop half an onion drop that in & around the steaks, evenly drizzle ther remainder of the sauce, cover, & let sit in the fridge for most of the day (for us it was during the wedding ceremony) then bake @400 until done. When I served the steaks I cut them in half to quickly debone & served the mock fillets.... I couldn't believe how fast they disappeared from the serving platter. 2 brothers who simply won't eat salmon insist this is now the only way they will go.

Cookie-kid
10-22-2011, 05:05 PM
another family fave: super simple bake, a sliced lemon, ground black pepper & salt to taste. Little garlic. Bake on a flat sheet with a little olive oil. I like how the lemon slices kind of candy themselves to the top face of the steak.

best theory I heard from my grandmother: you can cook a salmon in almost as many ways as you can cook a chicken. So far, Granny be right.

neilb
11-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Seasoned as you prefer (fresh ground pepper for us) a bit of lemon juice, slice of butter and cook them in the oven under the broiler.

or

Put your salmon steak on tinfoil, cover with a spoonful of basil butter, slice of tomato, slice of lemon, one bay leaf, season with salt, pepper and paprika. Seal tinfoil and cook on medium BBQ.

basil butter: blend fresh basil (15 leaves approx) 3 garlic cloves, 1/4 lb butter, few drops of lemon juice and salt and pepper

huntinnewbie
11-04-2011, 04:37 PM
I grew up on the East Coast and on Atlantic salmon.
My grandmother in New Brunswick used to cook salmon this way:
Take your salmon steaks and fry in a very hot pan until brown and crunchy on both sides. You can turn down the heat once you have the steaks seared.
Meanwhile make a simple white sauce and hard boil some eggs.
Put the eggs through a ricer and add to the white sauce along with salt and pepper to taste. You may add some fresh or dried dill also if you like.
Serve the steaks with the white/egg sauce on top. At grandma;s place this was always served with boiled potoatoes and fiddle heads which she would can when in season.

krazy
11-04-2011, 04:44 PM
http://flyguys.net/blog/recipes/fish-recipes/spicy-crusted-salmon-steak-recipe

Morel
11-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Mix together,

2-3 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp olive oil
2-3 drops of tabasco sauce (or more if you like it spicy)

Place salmon skin side down on a baking tray covered in foil.
Brush on mixture
Broil
Baste again 1/2 way through the cooking.
Cook until the salmon just flakes apart.

Cheers,

Ioneth
11-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Salt and Pepper bbq until flaky :)

Jim Prawn
11-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Here's a decent marinade

1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 cup rye whiskey
1 tablespoon molasses
1/2 cup oil
2 tablespoon soy
1 tablespoon pepper
2 cloves garlic

very similar to my "2 tablespoon terryaki"
2 TBSP Crown Royal
2 TBSP Brown sugar
2 TBSP Oil
2 TBSP soya sauce
1 clove garlic crushed or minced
1 tsp ginger powder.

Jim Prawn
11-05-2011, 10:54 PM
I also like it simple sometimes; sprinkle on some brown sugar and dry mustard - gives it a nice little zip.
JP

Oh, and dont overlook the Montreal Salmon Spice (even the Steak Spice is good on it actually)
JP

little moose
11-05-2011, 11:27 PM
burbon and brown sugar soak for 2 to 3 hr and bbq

Weatherby Fan
11-05-2011, 11:48 PM
I use 1/2-sweet/spicy asian chilli sauce,1/4-maple syrup and 1/4-soya sauce, measurements depend on amout of fish,and you can bake it or BBQ it with this sauce.
This sauce is also good on green beans or asparagus.

r106
11-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Here's a decent marinade

1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 cup rye whiskey
1 tablespoon molasses
1/2 cup oil
2 tablespoon soy
1 tablespoon pepper
2 cloves garlic

That sounds good. If you take away the oil and add water and salt it would very close to the brine I use for smoking

fearnodeer
11-12-2011, 05:11 PM
very similar to my "2 tablespoon terryaki"
2 TBSP Crown Royal
2 TBSP Brown sugar
2 TBSP Oil
2 TBSP soya sauce
1 clove garlic crushed or minced
1 tsp ginger powder.

Damm just read this thread and allready had salmon steaks out so this is the one i will be trying, was not looking for a reciepe but sounds good. Thanks

CanuckShooter
11-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Baking, frying or bbq quite often dries out your fish....for salmon try zapping it in the microwave...you might be very surprised. I like the taste of fish so don't usually try to cover up the natural flavour with all sorts of sauces.

Deeboe
11-12-2011, 06:11 PM
I posted this earlier this year----you don't need to filet to use this recipe... if you try it let me know how it turns out...

Hey guys! Thought i would share with you my favorite bbq salmon recipe. Its very easy and
simple and always gets killer compliments. You'll impress your woman with this one!
You will need:

-Salmon (i prefer sockeye) fillets DESKINNED
-feta cheese
-sun dried tomato pesto (comes in a jar)
-olive oil--or if you like like the bottom crispier then try grape seed oil (my fave)

Put a layer of foil on your bbq grill. Bring to temp of med to high depending on your grill. When its up to temp, use a baster and spread some olive or grape seed oil on the foil. Grape seed oil burns hotter so be careful as its a little more flammable but will make your salmon crispier.
Take your fillets (DESKINNED) and put them on the foil. Top with a layer of sun dried tomato pesto with a thickness of your choice, then top that with a later of crumbled feta. I usually cover it with a tin foil cap just to keep the heat more localized. Cook until the salmon is done--7 or 8 mins depending on thickness of the fillets-- and make sure the feta is a little melted.

I usually serve this on a bed of rice with veggies of your choice. Trust me its delicious and is fast to cook and easy to prepare. Don't forget the cold ones.....

Cheers!

Bear_Down
03-07-2012, 12:38 PM
pice of tin foil big enough to enclose steak. place onion slice then healthy amount of butter. season steaks with salt and pepper and dill popcorn seasoning lol I know I know then place on butter. place an apple slice on top close bake in oven. when almost done open remove apple and bake on hi to crisp top serve and enjoy. awsome with alfredo and green beens frenched. enjoy

1980skywalker
03-07-2012, 01:19 PM
I think all the recipes sound awesome and they are making me hungry just thinking about them. I think the one thing that everyone has missed out on is the real key to the best salmon is to not overcook it at all costs. Cooking steaks on the BBQ is in my opinion the best way to go and if they are approximately 1.5 inches thick they should take about no more than 5 min per side on a hot grill, when cooked from room temperature. Nothing beats tasty salmon when it is cooked perfectly, (just enough so that it breaks when lifted), if it is fresh you can get away with almost undercooking it, 4 min per side on high heat on the BBQ YUM!

03-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Simple.....
Skin on fillet about the size of your spatula,,,, single serving
green onion, tarragon, course salt and oil... chop all fine mix in oil to make it all a spreadable paste.
Fire up bbq cook on top grill..
oil top grill after it has gotten to temp
place fillet meat side down on the very edge of the grill, close lid.
come back in a couple minutes,, like 2-3..
oil the grill behind the fillets and slide the fillets over to the new oil. This takes a bit of care to break free the fish fom the grill and not tear it appart
close lid for a couple minutes,,, like 2
oil grill near to you and flip the fish so it is now skin side down.
Paste the meat with the oil,green onion salt and tarragon mix. Finnish cooking..... DO NOT OVER COOK!!!

This is dirt simple. You need to start with a hot grill. and oil before every step so your fish dont weld to the grill
if your feeling extra handy you can pre soak smoker chips and wrap them in tinfoil and place them on the rocks....

saskbooknut
03-07-2012, 04:39 PM
toast a few tablespoons of sesame seeds to golden brown in a cast iron frying pan - slowly, don't burn 'em.

Wash salmon steaks and roll in the cooled sesame seeds to coat thoroughly

Bake in 350 degree oven to just done, about 20 minutes in my oven

Simple and flavourful

Spirit's Master
03-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Not a big fan of steaked fish myself for some reason.

Skin them, bone them and then chop them fine or grind them. Add green onion, salt, pepper, dill, lemon juice, garlic powder, an egg and panko. Break out the 'Patty Stacker' and make burgers about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Fry them lightly but not too long because they will dry out quickly. Toast some onion buns under the broiler, garnish with your favourite condiments and there ya go.

cwf

fozzy
05-19-2012, 07:17 PM
I bbq'd some the other night in tin foil. A bit of brown sugar, maple syrup and soy sauce stirred into boiling water then poured over the salmon and let soak in for a while.