PDA

View Full Version : Oct 1 kamloops Moose

Darksith
10-01-2011, 04:34 PM
It all started at 430am, got up, was pretty tired since I didn't get to sleep until 1am the night before. I guess I was like a little kid on xmas eve, itching for the first local moose hunt of the year. My buddy arrived at my place, we loaded up the truck and away we went. 1 hour later and 30min before it would start to get light we were at our spot. I decided that I was gonna go my usual way, and my buddy was gonna walk back along the road, take the next fork which would get him to the other end of the swamp then cut down into it through the trees. We have hunting this spot several times, and we were lucky to pull a big immy outta there last year. Anyway off we went. I only had a short walk to my first spot, but before I got there I dropped the cosby kids off at the pool, then a couple minutes later I was at my spot. It was still pitch black but just starting to show signs of the approaching day when I let out my first cow call. It couldn't off been more than a couple minutes when I thought I heard something, but it was so feint I started to rub my stomach thinking my tummy was growling, but I soon realised that it wasn't me but a moose way off on the opposite hillside answering my cow calls. He was grunting his whole way into me, so I moved down the hill to where I thought he was gonna come out. I let out another cow call to keep him coming, and he kept grunting with every step almost until finally I saw him appear on the far side of the swamp. I had found myself a nice deck of old logs and was prone ontop of it. I had already ranged the far side of the swamp at 320yrds so I knew exactly where I needed to put my crosshairs to make a quick kill. All of a sudden he stopped, he couldn't see me and he couldn't smell me and I didn't have a shot on him. Uh oh I thought, why did he stop. I wiggled down off the log deck so I was again out of sight, and gave another cow call. Then I popped my head up to see what he was gonna do. He started grunting again and moved again, this time pausing in an opening broadside, but I wasn't in my shooting position yet. Then all of a sudden I hear a shot, instantly I realize that it is my buddy shootin. I am all lined up and ready to knock down this moose in front of me, but decide that I better not. If my buddies moose is in a super ugly spot, we might not have time to get both outta the bush, so I decide that if I can get my moose across the swamp to my side then I will take it, if not then it gets a pass for the day. I give a couple more cow calls and once again my moose starts moving, hes coming closer, but hes also heading away from me, in a direction that I won't have a shot even if he crosses the swamp. I decide to give a bull call to see what that does, wrong move. He instantly stops grunting, goes silent and I don't see him again. Now that I have lost my moose, I turn on the radio and ask my buddy if his is down. Yup he says, and then I ask him if we want to shoot 2 moose today, he responds by saying "don't do that"...I laugh and pack up my stuff and head back to the truck. After gutting the moose we decide that I can get my truck to him and load him up without too much effort. After that the rest is history, took us about 2 hours to get the truck to him, load him up and start heading for home. Can't wait, he should be tasty, bone in, hide and head off he came in just under 700lbs.

http://i54.tinypic.com/24qsh9y.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/2q1dhty.jpg

kebes
10-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Nice bull!

MATTIAC
10-01-2011, 04:40 PM
nice bull i agree!

Brew
10-01-2011, 04:41 PM
nice moose. You guys dont waste anytime do ya. Good for you and thanks for the pics and story.

Wrj
10-01-2011, 05:29 PM
"dont do that" haha, sounds like a fun day! congrats

kennyj
10-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Thats a beauty. Way to get er done.
kenny

SR80
10-01-2011, 06:53 PM
nice moose man! lucky!

Jelvis
10-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Everyone seen you going down west on Tranquille about 2 O'clock with the bull hanging out over the back showing it off eh lol.
You were kinda leaning out the open window of the grey truck in the picture lol.
Driving slow too. Everyone was pointing hey look, a moose.
Jp Moooore gun .. you were going west coming from the east so yah ..
THAT'S a nice bull .. get it measured Pronto .. Heck of a paddle, points and palm

ianwuzhere
10-01-2011, 08:29 PM
woop woop. nice bull- congrats- good timing!!

nano
10-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Nice bull, congrats man!

RiverBear
10-02-2011, 08:23 AM
Once again nice bull and thanks for stoping to see if I was alright ( old black chey )

BigfishCanada
10-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Lucky guy, awesome bull, great work!!!!!! Congrats!

Darksith
10-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Once again nice bull and thanks for stoping to see if I was alright ( old black chey )

hey no worries, always checknig to make sure everyone is ok on my way out. Last time I did just that it was a guy in a wheelchair stuck in his vehicle outta fuel, all I had to do for him was open the valve for his reserve propane tank, wonder how long he sat on the side of the road unable to get out to do it himself.

Thanks everyone, hope to have the 2nd chapter to our shared hunt draw this weekend coming up.

slyfox
10-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Nice bull.

Jelvis
10-03-2011, 06:49 PM
I told a hunter today who saw you driving by it was a five point is dat right?
He started guessing, so he asked did you have an leh anybull?
Or in gos?
Jelman

LeverActionJunkie
10-03-2011, 10:17 PM
Nice job! Congratulations on some good eats!

johnny cabbage
10-03-2011, 10:44 PM
nice local bull!

375 ultramag
10-04-2011, 05:07 AM
Way to go......Got to like it when a plan comes together. Congrats.

Darksith
10-04-2011, 04:45 PM
I told a hunter today who saw you driving by it was a five point is dat right?
He started guessing, so he asked did you have an leh anybull?
Or in gos?
Jelman
Shared hunt LEH, group of 4.

5 points on the paddle plus double brow tines

Livewire322
10-04-2011, 05:03 PM
nice bull were was your draw for? 3-19/ 3-18?

Jelvis
10-04-2011, 05:22 PM
What about 3-12. That's a guess from a local hunter. One and a half hours?
We ain't letting you off the mu hook.
Jel .. Guess where this bull was got? .................. Answer .... Behind the shoulder. lol

Big7
10-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Sweet!!! Good young bull!! Tasty steaks...........

silvertipp
10-04-2011, 05:41 PM
nice job looks like some nice steaks there

Darksith
10-04-2011, 06:08 PM
3-29, can't you tell by looking at him?

swampdonkey
10-04-2011, 06:12 PM
3-29, can't you tell by looking at him?

I can lol why can't jelli

meathunter
10-05-2011, 09:54 AM