PDA

View Full Version : Disposal Question

rcar
10-01-2011, 09:23 AM
I stopped by my local butcher yesterday to arrange bringing in an elk or deer. They are insistant that I bring in the whole head and not just the antlers. I didn't ask why as it is actually less work anyway but then I started to think about disposal after I drop off the game. I asked if they could take care of it and they said no.

I live in the LM and would like some advice on how to legally dispose of the head and antlers.

elkdom
10-01-2011, 09:26 AM
for species/antler restriction identification ?,antlers need to remain attached to the "scull cap" that is it !,

CanuckShooter
10-01-2011, 09:30 AM
They must be suspicious that people are using old antlers when bringing in animals?? Keep the antlers and send the rest to the dump, or dispose of the head in the nearest wooded area...the critters will take care of it PDQ.

Gun Dog
10-01-2011, 09:40 AM
I think there's a misunderstanding. My local butcher wants the head attached but won't cut off the antlers for me. He does cut off the head right away and I can take that away but then I'm stuck with a head to get rid of. The only legal way to dispose of the head is to drive into the woods and chuck it. Rendering plants can't take wild game and GVRD garbage doesn't allow meat & stuff from gutting/cleaning/butchering.

coach
10-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Strange request. Your butcher isn't the CO. No real reason for him to ask for more than the regs require. When I lived in the LM, I never brought the whole head home. Always cut the skull cap and antlers off, left a piece of hide on each quarter and left proof of sex attached. That's the rules - nothing more. I'd look for a different butcher. There's multiple threads on this site with lots of info about butchers and locations.

smokey
10-01-2011, 10:00 AM
my guy want the head on the animals and cut it off when he ready to take it,cut the antlers off if i want them and chuck the head in his bin with the rest of the scraps

Ddog
10-01-2011, 10:16 AM
am i missing something here? all you need is proof of sex, whether that is the antlers or penis and testicles is up to you. If disposal is a problem for you then go ahead and cut the antlers off but leave the other parts on.
but if there is an antler restriction then what elkdom said.

rcar
10-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Although the regs say antlers only if the butcher wants the head then I have a choice to adhere to his request or find another butcher. I like my butcher and don't really care about the hassle of disposing the head but I wasn't sure if just hucking it into the woods is legal.

pazz0
10-02-2011, 11:33 PM
I wasn't sure if just hucking it into the woods is legal.

Well it’s not like you’re dumping heaps of drywall.