PDA

View Full Version : New hunter need direction - mainland

Wolfkrieg
09-30-2011, 09:34 PM
Hey there peoples. I'm new to hunting and have only done some trolling up where I work in the north with some work buddies. I currently reside in Surrey, and am looking for some direction. I would like to know some good areas for Deer and Grouse within 3-4 hours of a drive. Not sure if this is a lot to ask but I have never shot anything and would like to take down my first deer as I have never even had the chance to taste one yet ! I hear Princeton and Hope are good areas? Perhaps some areas within areas tips :) Anyways, worth a shot.

Thanks,
Matt.

keoke
09-30-2011, 09:56 PM
I have been going up to silver lake area in hope, I am starting to get sick of it cause of the steep mountains and thick bush + it's busy with non hunters. I did take a spiker out of there last season, it has been the only buck I have seen. There is the odd grouse here and there. I would like to start exploring up the coq.

pierogi
10-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Squomish is good for grouse,

Legi0n
10-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Such a question is taboo. You'll get only vague directions that won't help you a bit.
Do your own scouting and don't give up if you're not successful in the first couple of years.
Pick a place on the map, then read the local bylaws and regulations about firearms discharge and hunting.
If it's open for hunting, scout (a lot).
Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky sooner than expected.

edit: if you'd like to try venison sooner, there's a store in Coquitlam that sells it (farmed... but still good)

keithb7
10-02-2011, 03:17 PM
You can read between the lines on here. Kamloops is 3 hrs from Surrey. Princeton is 3 hours from Surrey. So is cache creek. All well under your 4 hr driving limit. There's game to shoot in all these areas. just pick up a map. Find a forest service road and cruise. You'll find them, I'm sure.

seanps
10-02-2011, 03:33 PM
And search on this site. With a couple hours of computer work you can identify a number of forest service roads in Kamloops, Cache Creek or Princeton, including which spur roads to take, what time of year the animals are taken, etc.